- The Next F-150

FUD

• 2 months later...

F-150 again in black:

FUD...this is what I think Ford can do with an existing F150 chassis. By lowering the lower window sill back down, you create two things... first, the cab has an "airy" feel due to more glass expanse, secondly, since the lower window line follows to the top of the box rail, the box rail is lowered creating a "smaller" look without sacrificing the hauling capability of the truck. By using lighter duty components in key areas such as the suspension and drive-line, you can build a truck that can be maximized for lighter duty (aka, Ranger sized duty) work without cannibalizing coveted F150 sales....in fact, due to the use of a common F150/100 frame....F100 sales would add to overall F-Series sales and drive the number higher...something that Ranger never did during her run...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I LOVED the 04-08 F-150 and I like the current one...I think Ford needs to "soften" the look of the next-gen version. I think Ford needs to do something bold and repeat the success of the 96/97-03 model. That design was so distinctive and fresh. I know some people called it wimpy but boy did those things still sell like hotcakes.

• Like 1

While I LOVED the 04-08 F-150 and I like the current one...I think Ford needs to "soften" the look of the next-gen version. I think Ford needs to do something bold and repeat the success of the 96/97-03 model. That design was so distinctive and fresh. I know some people called it wimpy but boy did those things still sell like hotcakes.

Part of me agrees with you, but at the same time I realize that the market has changed - the casual truck buyer isn't as common as they'd become in the timeframe of those two models - now maybe another "revolutionary" model such as the '97-'03 model would bring some of them back and increase sales, but who knows for sure. Unless some very significant increase in fuel economy comes that could help draw those customers further in (and it wouldn't surprise me if FE increased a good bit), I think that's a sizable risk, but at the same time with Ford's reputation and the fact that they've done it before (turned truck design on it's head), it could be done again.

New Ford F-150,

Based on current design cues:

- Just for fun. :)

Overall it's good.

But I do dislike the Edge looking grille, dislike the Explorer styled hood, the boxy shape of the top/rear corner of the cab looks too much like the current Ram design which I'm not fond of. This truck needs fog lamps rather than those dang LED slits in the bumper. Not feeling the door handles either.

does anyone else hate the look of the new f-150s? i think they look fucking stupid. like, they couldnt choose one concept design so they went with a concoction of all of them. none of the parts seem to flow together. especially those headlights. i hate 'em.

To me, a lot depends on the grille. I dislike the XLT chrome grille, but the other grilles make it look much better. Not fond of the tail lamps, but like the head lamp setup. Like the wheels/rims of the 04-08 models better. Dislike the mismatched sized doors on the 09+ Screws, compared to the much more similar sized doors on the 04-08 Screws. I know the 09+'s have them for the added interior space, but doesn't look right in my opinion.

Edited by V8-X

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This idea might seem crazy but why don't they make a truck that has passenger/cargo space split left/right instead of front/back. Think about it, you often want to haul things longer than the bed but, generally, not wider. The cargo space would be split between a full length "side" bed extending over the right wheels (full length of truck) combined with the regular "back" bed behind a, now more narrow, cab. Sure, this design presents some challenges but there are many opportunities as well.

1. You no longer need ladder/pipe racks to haul 20' stuff.
  2. The narrow cab would reduce wind drag significantly.
  3. You can have front/back seats for up to four people.
  4. Behind the second seat the cab would even continue all the way to the back of the truck with a narrow width, maybe 18 inches. This enclosed space becomes a "trunk" where you put tools, or whatever, and can lock. Access doors are over and behind the rear wheel and open on left side of truck. Now, from the driver's side, the truck can be styled to look any way you like, SUV, hatch, whatever. You wouldn't even know its a truck.
  5. When hauling tall cargo in the "back" bed, you can easily strap it to the main cab and this new side cab (trunk).
  6. Space on the right side below the "side" bed and between the wheels could be enclosed storage accessible from both inside the cab and outside (locked doors). Just think how convenient that could be!
  7. The right mirror could be a camera mounted just below the level of the side bed so that "problem" is solved.

Perhaps one of you with CAD could whip up a sketch.