'11 Edge First Drive

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And top billing over at gminsidenews.com too? Wow. Not bad for an MCE.

I will say, the black Sport photographed by autoblog.com is amazingly sharp. That's a stunningly good looking 2 ton family hauler - 22" wheels, black-out grille and all.

Nice on the inclusion of communication & entertainment integration - well done Ford.

Seriously, how crowded are Ford dealers going to be this year? In just about every segment there is at least a class-competitive vehicle, if not a class-leading vehicle. Crowded dealers and limited supply? A good problem to have!

I wasn't taken initially with the sport model, but that black on black Edge Sport is really sharp looking.

I really like the direction Ford is going. They look to be moving in the VW / Audi direction with design and interior refinement, but already have the (old Toyota) reliability part down. If you are on a tight budget, you will still be able to get a Ford, but it maybe a smaller vehicle with less of the goodies. But it should still be a good driving and refined vehicle. Pony up and you can get the most modern tech, nicely designed interiors, and great engine choices in Ford. And if Ford re-does Lincoln correctly, they will have an Audi, BMW to boot.

Point taken. MT has these figures, they aren't far off those of a Taurus.

Do you have a link, I couldn't find it.

Never mind, found it: MT - First Test: 2011 Ford Edge

They're saying the Sport (15.9 1/4) is slower than SEL (15.7 1/4). I knew the 22's would hurt a little, but didn't think it would hurt that much!

Edited by NLPRacing

They're saying the Sport (15.9 1/4) is slower than SEL (15.7 1/4). I knew the 22's would hurt a little, but didn't think it would hurt that much!

Very disappointed by the brakes. How in the world can the stopping go from 124 to 155 ft. in one stop. Ford needs to fix this, can't believe the brakes are still a problem!

Very disappointed by the brakes. How in the world can the stopping go from 124 to 155 ft. in one stop. Ford needs to fix this, can't believe the brakes are still a problem!

How often does one make back-to-back 60-0 panic stops in a CUV? If this was a Mustang, I could see the argument...

How often does one make back-to-back 60-0 panic stops in a CUV? If this was a Mustang, I could see the argument...

All very odd, especially after reading other reviews stating how much time and effort Ford put into improving the brakes and how much better they felt. Maybe MT test personnel were spraying Armor All tire shine on the tires and got some on the brake discs. Or somehow all the weight gets shifted onto the front brakes so badly that the rear brakes do basically nothing and the front pads take a severe beating. I know that on the Chrysler minivan the front brake pads don't last very long and brake dust everywhere. Cars are getting too heavy.

read the article...one just happens to be burdened with the weight of AWD....my pet peeve...comparing apples to oranges....

All very odd, especially after reading other reviews stating how much time and effort Ford put into improving the brakes and how much better they felt. Maybe MT test personnel were spraying Armor All tire shine on the tires and got some on the brake discs. Or somehow all the weight gets shifted onto the front brakes so badly that the rear brakes do basically nothing and the front pads take a severe beating. I know that on the Chrysler minivan the front brake pads don't last very long and brake dust everywhere. Cars are getting too heavy.

It's not like the stopping distance was bad at all. It only got worse after doing it with the brakes already heated -- a test plenty of other vehicles would do pretty terrible at too. Again, take real world scenarios into consideration here.

I recall reading test drives for my Cobra before and after I bought it. Many reviewers complained about vastly increased stopping distances once the brakes warmed up. It has never been an issue for me, and I've done some very spirited driving in it. Truth is, most vehicles won't ever see a real world situation where brake fade is an issue at all.

Edited by NickF1011

Autoblog just posted that... Autoblog

Ford could come out and quickly reprogram the tranny to combat this issue....

nope, they should make the media compare the FWD or AWD models against each other...bottom line 400lbs and frictional losses outweigh the extra power of the AWD Edge they tested against the FWD "regular edge.....that is a totally bogus comparison...