'11 Edge First Drive

I would imagine the AWD Sport would stomp on the AWD SEL. And they do mention that the handling is far superior in the Sport, which is really what makes it a Sport in my mind. I'm certainly not considering the thing for its off-the-line stompitude. I want a CUV that doesn't handle like a school bus.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a link, I couldn't find it.

Never mind, found it: MT - First Test: 2011 Ford Edge

They're saying the Sport (15.9 1/4) is slower than SEL (15.7 1/4). I knew the 22's would hurt a little, but didn't think it would hurt that much!

Wow, Even with 20 extra ponies the SEL only managed .1 more than the outgoing model. No change in ET's with the Sport- Not good at all considering the 42HP gain.

Is the Sport only a AWD aplication?

Edited by Hydro

It's not like the stopping distance was bad at all. It only got worse after doing it with the brakes already heated -- a test plenty of other vehicles would do pretty terrible at too. Again, take real world scenarios into consideration here.

I recall reading test drives for my Cobra before and after I bought it. Many reviewers complained about vastly increased stopping distances once the brakes warmed up. It has never been an issue for me, and I've done some very spirited driving in it. Truth is, most vehicles won't ever see a real world situation where brake fade is an issue at all.

I notice MT brought up the fact that Grand Cherokee had no brake fade issues. Of course it's RWD biased. FWD biased vehicles do go through brake pads more often and I'm sure fade out quicker. I know my FWD vehicle has problem with rear brake cylinders freezing up after few years because they are really not used much when braking. I set the parking brake a lot just to keep those wheel cylinders lubricated a little. FWD vehicles have so much weight up front and go thrrough front tires and brakes more.

WOW that black Edge Sport is just stunning! That one has Borgy written all over it!!!! Just brilliant design in this car, it makes me so happy they got this one so right on. That fascia should be a lesson in distinctive design and how it should be executed (wish the new Explorer fascia benefited from this example).

I actually like the Ford non-Sony center stack better, wish we could see more of that. The Sony panel is neat but not as cohesive with the design. I would certainly prefer to keep the Audio upgrade of course.

It's not like the stopping distance was bad at all. It only got worse after doing it with the brakes already heated -- a test plenty of other vehicles would do pretty terrible at too. Again, take real world scenarios into consideration here.

I recall reading test drives for my Cobra before and after I bought it. Many reviewers complained about vastly increased stopping distances once the brakes warmed up. It has never been an issue for me, and I've done some very spirited driving in it. Truth is, most vehicles won't ever see a real world situation where brake fade is an issue at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Xygo2054Q&feature=search

Never say never. :shift:

I actually like the Ford non-Sony center stack better, wish we could see more of that. The Sony panel is neat but not as cohesive with the design. I would certainly prefer to keep the Audio upgrade of course.

I'll have to see them in person, but I kinda agree. I also hate seeing badges and logos for other brands inside my vehicles. At least the Bose badges in my Mazda are relatively hidden on the speaker panels on the doors. The "SONY" logo front and center in the Edge isn't my cup of tea.

nope, they should make the media compare the FWD or AWD models against each other...bottom line 400lbs and frictional losses outweigh the extra power of the AWD Edge they tested against the FWD "regular edge.....that is a totally bogus comparison...

Just for comparison, I'd also like to see how the sport would go if the tire/wheel package didn't weigh 91lb per corner. 22 inch wheels are just too big.

Just for comparison, I'd also like to see how the sport would go if the tire/wheel package didn't weigh 91lb per corner. 22 inch wheels are just too big.

I would like to see the weight penalty for wheels and tires alone, over the stock 18, ...my guess is approx 20-25 per wheel...which equates to 100, so lets just say 150. the rest is the AWD system...........thats it. My guess is the FWD SPort WOULD out accelerate the regular SEL Edge no problems.

But they look awesome. B)

Yes they do.

I would like to see the weight penalty for wheels and tires alone, over the stock 18, ...my guess is approx 20-25 per wheel...which equates to 100, so lets just say 150. the rest is the AWD system...........thats it. My guess is the FWD SPort WOULD out accelerate the regular SEL Edge no problems.

I've always heard that 100 pounds is worth a 1/10 of a second in the 1/4 mile. If so, then the SEL with its 330 pound advantage only being 2/10 quicker means that had they been equal weight, the Sport would have been 1/10 to 2/10 quicker. But , I really thought the added traction of AWD would have offset things a little more than that. A 16 second "Sport" with 305 HP is kind of embarasing. The 90's Vulcan V6 Tempo was faster than that.

A 16 second "Sport" with 305 HP is kind of embarasing. The 90's Vulcan V6 Tempo was faster than that.

The Tempo also weighed under 3000 lbs.

I don't see the "Sport" in the Edge as being a speed thing. It's a driving dynamics thing. The extra power is just there to keep it on par with the lower models (or maybe a hair quicker, comparing like-equipped models) while offering a much better handling package.

Besides, since when was a 16-second 1/4 mile at all slow for a CUV anyway? We're all getting spoiled. I'd be curious to know what a 1992 Explorer 4x4 would run in a 1/4. My guess is 18's or worse. :lol:

Edited by NickF1011

Two 2011 Edges at Bill Brown Ford today with shipping stickers still all over them including wheels all taped up. Both Limiteds with one Ingot Silver and the other Bordeaux red. One stickered for about $39,000 and other $40,000. I notice base price for Limited is $34,000 and some change. The more expensive one had adaptive cruise control and of course both had at least $5,000 in options. Maybe in a few days one will be all prepped for new customer and looking sharp. So they are finally trickling in.

The Tempo also weighed under 3000 lbs.

I don't see the "Sport" in the Edge as being a speed thing. It's a driving dynamics thing. The extra power is just there to keep it on par with the lower models (or maybe a hair quicker, comparing like-equipped models) while offering a much better handling package.

Besides, since when was a 16-second 1/4 mile at all slow for a CUV anyway? We're all getting spoiled. I'd be curious to know what a 1992 Explorer 4x4 would run in a 1/4. My guess is 18's or worse. :lol:

The Edge SE/SEL/Limited is about a second quicker to sixty than a V6 Equinox.

Two 2011 Edges at Bill Brown Ford today with shipping stickers still all over them including wheels all taped up. Both Limiteds with one Ingot Silver and the other Bordeaux red. One stickered for about $39,000 and other $40,000. I notice base price for Limited is $34,000 and some change. The more expensive one had adaptive cruise control and of course both had at least $5,000 in options. Maybe in a few days one will be all prepped for new customer and looking sharp. So they are finally trickling in.

Must have both been FWD units at those prices.

Priced out replacement tires between the 245/50/20's on the Limited and 265/40/22's on the Sport as well for anyone interested.

Sets of four tires (tirerack.com):

20" Limited -

$512 for OE Pirelli Scorpion STR's

$636 for Yokohama Parada Spec-X

22" Sport -

$948 for OE Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assimetricos

$$768 for Yokohama Parada Spec-X

I listed the Yokahamas for a baseline comparison since they were the only tire they listed as being available for both applications. Looks like the Limited is fitted with far worse OE tires than the Sport too, which isn't really too surprising I guess. Pricing seems reasonable to me though. I spend around $600-700 or so for a set of tires on the Mazda6 and well over $1000 for meats on the Cobra.