'11 Edge First Drive

The Tempo also weighed under 3000 lbs.

I don't see the "Sport" in the Edge as being a speed thing. It's a driving dynamics thing. The extra power is just there to keep it on par with the lower models (or maybe a hair quicker, comparing like-equipped models) while offering a much better handling package.

Besides, since when was a 16-second 1/4 mile at all slow for a CUV anyway? We're all getting spoiled. I'd be curious to know what a 1992 Explorer 4x4 would run in a 1/4. My guess is 18's or worse. :lol:

Don't know about a 1992, but a 1991 could do it in 17.9 with a 4 speed auto & 155 HP V6 weighing in at 4233 lbs. Not too bad. Hate using Motor Trend as a "source, but it's all I could find. MT First Test: 1991 Ford Explorer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But now 16 flat is "slow". My how times change.

Funny how that works, huh. My wife had a 95 Mustang GT Auto and that thing was slow. I could never do better than 15.1, but it was consistent when I bracket raced it.

I guess my problem is that this is the "Sport" model. I was really hoping for better. A heavier Flex with the 355 HP Eco Boost will do an almost 14 flat. Why bother with the 3.7L in the Edge Sport when it's really not any faster than the 3.5. Maybe Ford should of went with the 3.5 EcoBoost instead and make a true Sport out of it. I'm still holding out hope for an Explorer SHO with 400 HP. Now that's a vehicle I could replace my truck & Mustang with.

Funny how that works, huh. My wife had a 95 Mustang GT Auto and that thing was slow. I could never do better than 15.1, but it was consistent when I bracket raced it.

I guess my problem is that this is the "Sport" model. I was really hoping for better. A heavier Flex with the 355 HP Eco Boost will do an almost 14 flat. Why bother with the 3.7L in the Edge Sport when it's really not any faster than the 3.5. Maybe Ford should of went with the 3.5 EcoBoost instead and make a true Sport out of it. I'm still holding out hope for an Explorer SHO with 400 HP. Now that's a vehicle I could replace my truck & Mustang with.

You put wider and bigger wheels on it so it handles better, it's going to need more power to motivate it. It would certainly be even slower with the 3.5. Be thankful it even has a different, more powerful engine at all -- most "Sport" models from most manufactures (including Ford) don't.

And again, apples to apples here. I'd be curious to see what a FWD Sport would do compared to a FWD SEL or Limited. My guess? The Sport would be faster.