2012 Flex design

rmc523

Well folks, here's a couple sketches of the 2012 Flex....

2012Flex13.jpg

Changes on the front include:

-flush front bumper (no visible bumper)

-redesigned grill inspired by 2011 Edge

-removal of Ford emblem, with FLEX written on hood like 2011 Titanium models

-new headlight design, with LED turn signals

-foglamps replaced by LED lighting strips (function as running lights, both day and night)

-new wheels

2012Flex2.jpg

Changes out back are more minimal, and include:

-redesigned taillights (including LED reverse lights and LED amber turn signals)

-FLEX written across top of liftgate panel, LIMITED (and SEL/Titanium) label moved to lower left corner of panel, EB/AWD badges remain in the lower right corner

-color-coded reverse sensors

-redesigned bumper that accomodates new rectangular exhaust outlets (goes better with Flex's horizontal theme)

Edited by rmc523

Nice work! I think this is probably in line with what we'll see for the Flex MCE.

A few things I may have done different...

I probably would have put "F O R D" on the hood instead of the "F L E X", and then had the "FLEX" logo stamped into the bottom bar of the grille (a la 2008 Escape).

And what if the entire grille opening were a bit trapezoidal in shape (larger at the top, slightly smaller at the bottom)? This could help further smooth out the front clip (along with your brilliant deletion of the visible bumper).

And, one final thought...

I've always thought that the Flex would look cool with roof-colored (either body colored or white) A-pillars, then leaving the B, C, and D pillars blacked out.

As always, a great job. :rockon:

Well thanks to all of you - glad to see it's getting such a warm reception both here and elsewhere. That's the fastest I've ever seen a photoshop thread be replied to.....EVER, especially at multiple sites!

I wrote FLEX and not FORD on the hood because the 2011 Titanium model has FLEX written across the hood, and I thought I'd read somewhere that that design 'feature' would be spread to the other trims in the future as well. I didn't think of having FORD up there with FLEX stamped in the lower bar.

I thought about adding more of a Kinetic look, but a few things stopped me:

1) I thought the 2011 Edge would get a much more kinetic look, and well, it didn't, so I followed what happened to the Edge very closely with this one (heavily revised front, sharing design themes w/ Edge, and lightly revised rear), and

2) Flex obviously has a horizontal and boxy theme, so I'm not so sure a kinetic look would work that well on it, and therefore tried to stick to the boxy/horizontal look (squircles? LOL).

I like your thought behind the colored A-pillar matching the roof (I've done that on a few of my designs you've seen PD if you remember), BUT I'm a huge fan of the floating roof look on the Flex....maybe it could be optional or something?

----

For clarification on the taillights:

I changed the design within the existing housing. It's probably hard to tell, but they're supposed to be red around the outer edges, with a "C" look, and I made area inside of that clear, with both the reverse lights and new amber turn signals being LEDs (following the Edge/Explorer amber turn signal theme). LED tubes also surround the red part of the taillights for distinctive nighttime running lights.

Edited by rmc523

I wrote FLEX and not FORD on the hood because the 2011 Titanium model has FLEX written across the hood, and I thought I'd read somewhere that that design 'feature' would be spread to the other trims in the future as well. I didn't think of having FORD up there with FLEX stamped in the lower bar.

I remember them saying this, but I would still like to see the "F O R D" on the hood and the "FLEX" stamped within the bottom of the grille surround.

I thought about adding more of a Kinetic look, but a few things stopped me:

1) I thought the 2011 Edge would get a much more kinetic look, and well, it didn't, so I followed what happened to the Edge very closely with this one (heavily revised front, sharing design themes w/ Edge, and lightly revised rear), and

2) Flex obviously has a horizontal and boxy theme, so I'm not so sure a kinetic look would work that well on it, and therefore tried to stick to the boxy/horizontal look (squircles? LOL).

I wasn't thinking kinetic as much as I was thinking Taurus / Fusion / Edge, where the upper grille starts wider at the the top and gets narrower at the bottom. Kinetic would be more like making the lower grille larger and upper grille smaller (or nonexistent).

I like your thought behind the colored A-pillar matching the roof (I've done that on a few of my designs you've seen PD if you remember), BUT I'm a huge fan of the floating roof look on the Flex....maybe it could be optional or something?

I'm a fan of the floating roof, too, but I think the colored A-pillars could actually do a lot to better accentuate the blacked out mid and rear pillars.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job! I'm not sure if the Flex can survive surrounded by the Edge and Explorer. Ford needs a minivan and Lincoln needs the Flex to replace its strangely designed and cramped MKT. The Flex feels so much roomier than the MKT that it feels more luxurious than the MKT. Change the sheet metal a bit but keep it big, and start with the Titanium for the new MKT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the new Swagger Wagon styling efforts of Toyota and Nissan, It makes me wonder what the Flex would look like if it morphed into more of a minivan; shorter hood, taller roofline, sliding doors etc. With the overlap Explorer coming on line, I think it might work.

Ford-C-MAX_2012_800x600_wallpaper_0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...