U.S.-spec Ford Ranger to officially end production in 2011, Ford explains why

The Ranger was the best seller in the compact market for all the years Ford bothered keeping it current and competitive. I'd say Ford was the expert of the compact pickup market until they let it die on the vine.

Amen!! And while I was not in "Goinbrokes" survey, I agree 100% that the size of the vehicle is the issue. My 04 Supercab FX-4 is big enough for me.

Also, as an aside on the name issue, I don't think "Ranger" has a cheap connotation as some say. Again an opinion but I look at the Taurus name issue and I just wonder who would ever suggest to Al that they should get rid of another nameplate that has recognition. And by the way, as for "F-100", only old guys like me remember that long ago there was an "F-1" and then I believe in 53 or 54 it morphed into"F-100"

Yes, there is a market for a compact pickup, but it is relatively small today.

But I think it will come back 5 to 8 years down the line as fleets, construction companies, and users grapple with the turmoil that CAFE and CO2 regs that are coming will cause.

And since the F100 was discontinued (back in the earky 80s?) there are almost two generations that don't have a clue other than enthusiasts and those in the old truck scene, so Ford really has no baggage using the name.

Long forgotten item - do you know why Ford went from F1, F2, F3, F4 and F5 to F100, F250, F350, F500? Switch was in an aniverserie year. (clue - no F200, F300, F400)

Some oldtimers know, but very few youngsters do.

interior-spyshot-of-2011-ford-ranger-codename-t6.jpg

First Interior Spy shot of All New Ford Ranger (T6)

Ford Fiesta club Thailand capture during testing some where in Thailand.

"Spy shot" It's difficult to picture that as anything other than a leak.... unless the photographer snuck into the bed for the ride..

Edited by Noah Harbinger