Rapid-Heat Supplemental Heater

deniro790

SO I've noticed that with the remote start the engine starts but the heater does not come on untill you put in the key. I realize that it still helps it heat faster (having the engine heated up) but still feel like this defeats the purpose of remote start! Its still going to be cold and my windows are still going to be iced up. Is there a setting somewhere to change this?

I have not tried it yet. Since I park in my garage, and it hasn't really gotten cold yet.

But I understand it should Heat or Cool the truck based upon what controls you left on when you turned off the truck and how those settings compare to the outside air temps.

i.e. if the climate control is set for 74* and it's in Auto, and the outside temps are 34*. The rapid heat should turn on and be blowing 74* air until the engine coolant reaches the 185* temp and the supplemental heater turns off.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rapid-Heat supplemental cab heater, an available supplemental heating element on diesel Ford trucks only. The electronic heater assembly contains the Auxiliary Heater Control Module (AHCM) and element, and is located in the HVAC immediately downstream of the heater core.

• 4 months later...

I have an 18 mile drive to work and the temperature gauge doesn't start moving until I am half way to work in my 2005 F350XLT Crew cab. So I sprang for the Remote Start and the Axillary Heat in my new truck that I ordered in the end of January. It will be Spring before I get it so I will have to wait until next year to test. Having the Engine block heater plugged in does help.

• 8 months later...

I have an 18 mile drive to work and the temperature gauge doesn't start moving until I am half way to work in my 2005 F350XLT Crew cab. So I sprang for the Remote Start and the Axillary Heat in my new truck that I ordered in the end of January. It will be Spring before I get it so I will have to wait until next year to test. Having the Engine block heater plugged in does help.

I did the same when I ordered my new 2012. My 06' would heat up just as I pulled in to the parking lot at work. Not to mention it is a safety issue if the windows are foggy.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us that didn't order the Rapid-Heat supplemental cab heater (2011 F250, 6.7), any suggestion on the best alternative ?

I have the dealer looking into it, but their at a loss and so far I can't get a straight answer into having it install after the fact.

I have a 15 mile drive to work and at anything below -15 below (f) (at least since I put the grill inserts in) I'm wearing my arctic parka, not the best way to get to work.

Edited by bearqst

• 1 year later...

You can start your truck with the heat blowing. All you have to do is go into your truck settings on your dash readout and turn on "last setting" under the remote start. What this does is when you remote start it turns on the heat to the temp of when it was shut off and the fan speed (this will not turn on the heated seats or steering wheel) but with the new trucks like on the one I ordered if it is below 40 degrees the seats and steering wheel turn on as soon as you remote start

• 1 year later...

You want the Supplemental Heater the diesel heats up slower than gas and without it you be blowing cool air for a while

I live on the cost in Calif we had few days were weather was just above or at freezing and have the Supplemental Heater in my 2008 SD warmed thigs up quickly. Heated seats help too :)

By the way the Supplemental Heater requires dual Alternators beasue of the high current draw

• 4 weeks later...

SO I've noticed that with the remote start the engine starts but the heater does not come on untill you put in the key. I realize that it still helps it heat faster (having the engine heated up) but still feel like this defeats the purpose of remote start! Its still going to be cold and my windows are still going to be iced up. Is there a setting somewhere to change this?

Have you verified that this is the way its supposed to work? I'm hoping not :o( Just ordered a 2015 and did select this option but hopefully it works when remote started.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It would be cool to see a side-by-side compare of two trucks iced over. One with and one w/o the rapid heat option!

I agree. I would like to see a comparison. Whe I ordered my 2011 F350 i got the rapid heat option and the dealer here in NM said he didn't think I would ever use it, but I like that pretty quickly after I start I can have warm air in the few days that it is actually cold.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

And I don't understand why when using remote start, you can't set it so that your seat heating can begin then too.

I can honestly say that we had a pretty cold winner here in PA... I made a mistake and did not order the rapid - heat.. I do snow plow with it ,so I am out a lot ... I did not miss it one bit ?? Was I getting used to the cold , doubt it.. I'm not getting any younger... I was really worried that I would need it...... Joe