'11 F-150 #1 in Fuel Economy

Same as a 5.3 Silverado. I not a marketing expert but I don't understand how Ford can state "best in-class" fuel economy.

The best the Silverado gets, I'm finding even in XFE form is 15/22 from Chevy's.....sorry, Chevrolet's website.

So, 16/23 > 15/22.

EDIT: nevermind, already posted, but I'll leave the info anyway.

Edited by rmc523

Which cab and rear end configurations do the EPA use when determining estimated mpg? I'm assuming they use regular or extended cab and the highest gearing available.

If so, I would expect the 5.0 F150 to get much better real world mpg in crew cab and 4x4 configurations than similarly equipped 5.3 Chevies, simply because the 5.0 wouldn't have to work nearly as hard as the 5.3 to move all that weight around.

Uhhh...because Ford's 3.7 is "best-in-class"??

and to take this one step further, based on the (admittedly Ford biased) tests thus far, the 3.7's performance puts it in the same class as the 5.3. The 5.3's peformance is completely outclassed by the 5.0.

See from my understanding these aren't the official EPA ratings yet actually and are merely projected mileage figures. On Facebook (yes I have one because I was the senior class president at my high school and have found that it is the easiest way to communicate and make class reunion plans) the Ford Motor Company page is reporting, "The new 3.7-liter V6 engine is projected to deliver best-in-class mpg highway." The adjoining link states that it is pending EPA certification yet. So I feel that it isn't out of the realm of possibility that both the 3.7 and 5.0 can still eek out an extra mpg hwy each in the official test.

My link

See from my understanding these aren't the official EPA ratings yet actually and are merely projected mileage figures. On Facebook (yes I have one because I was the senior class president at my high school and have found that it is the easiest way to communicate and make class reunion plans) the Ford Motor Company page is reporting, "The new 3.7-liter V6 engine is projected to deliver best-in-class mpg highway." The adjoining link states that it is pending EPA certification yet. So I feel that it isn't out of the realm of possibility that both the 3.7 and 5.0 can still eek out an extra mpg hwy each in the official test.

My link

Eh, no reason to believe those aren't the final numbers. They are EPA-derived numbers, but they just haven't gotten final certification yet. Doubt it'll change at all.

Judging by recent releases of Mustang and Fiesta, those quoted economy figures are not overstated.

I take it GM has no new V6 engine to compete with the 3.7 F150,

all the GM sports fans will be waiting for "that 3.0 V6 turbo".

LOL their Ecoboost.....

Edited by jpd80

Remember, Ford conducts these tests. The EPA merely reviews them to certify them.

While Ford may have sandbagged numbers if they were released a year ago, I suspect these are the correct numbers.

Interesting that quite a few Ford vehicles seem to get that 15/22 to 16/24.

Not a coincidence I know but good news for large SUVs, CUvs and F150 owners.