Spied! 2011 Global Ford Ranger T6 Regular Cab Pickup Truck

Looks good from what we can see. This would make an excellent F-100 Ranger for the states. And making it an F-100, could keep the sales in the F-Series group. Too bad Ford doesn't see it this way, or at least haven't said anything of this nature.

Looks good from what we can see. This would make an excellent F-100 Ranger for the states. And making it an F-100, could keep the sales in the F-Series group. Too bad Ford doesn't see it this way, or at least haven't said anything of this nature.

I'm sure Ford would love to sell this truck here but the chicken tax on imported trucks makes this very difficult. It's ironic too... because chicken tax was originally supposed to protect Ford's truck sales but it is now the biggest stumbling block for Ford's global truck production plan.

Ford can probably sell a decent amount of T6 Ranger if it can somehow import it from Thailand without the chicken tax; but it can't... so unless all the people who say they will buy a new Ranger is welling to pay more for a T6 than F-150, this is not going to happen. Ford also won't be able to sell enough T6 Ranger in US to warrant investment in a new factory and assembly line in North America.

I can point this out 100 times but the Ranger mafia simply would not accept reality. The Ranger mafia is starting to make the Panther mafia look like a rational bunch. :D

• Like 1

I'm sure Ford would love to sell this truck here but the chicken tax on imported trucks makes this very difficult.

Not since the advent of FTAs, South Africa and South America are two place

T6 will be built and I'm pretty sure the latter has an FTA with the USA......

There is no FTA between US and Argentina where the T6 are made.

There is also no FTA between US and South Africa.

Ford was banking on the US-Thailand FTA to allow the Ranger to be imported but military coup and subsequent political unrest scuttled the deal.

Canada will probably get the T6 once production is up to speed in Thailand (or Argentina).

I'm sure Ford would love to sell this truck here but the chicken tax on imported trucks makes this very difficult. It's ironic too... because chicken tax was originally supposed to protect Ford's truck sales but it is now the biggest stumbling block for Ford's global truck production plan.

The global Ranger is about 90 percent of the size of today’s F-150 half-ton, Ford says i.e. flexible bodyshop..... changes needed to run units in US minimal investment I'm sure I've seen units run through existing tooling with little fanfare

Edited by nvsked

The global Ranger is about 90 percent of the size of today's F-150 half-ton, Ford says i.e. flexible bodyshop..... changes needed to run units in US minimal investment I'm sure I've seen units run through existing tooling with little fanfare

T6 Ranger is very close to Tacoma in size, that 90% figure uttered by Kuzak is a bit of a red herring,

because T6 is to F150 as F150 is to Super Duty....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Corrected it for you.

Check out the Free Trade Area of the Americas website: The last update is from 2005.

I'd say that's a trade agreement that's not going anywhere soon...

It can't make it to the US because of chicken tax, not because competition with F-150. Canada has no 25% import tariff on trucks.

FTAs have killed off Chicken Tax.

South Africa will be making T6 and is in the process of gaining an FTA with the USA.

T6 Ranger will also be built in South America and might qualify under an FTA there too...

Edited by jpd80

It can't make it to the US because of chicken tax, not because competition with F-150. Canada has no 25% import tariff on trucks.

If it was only about import tariffs, Ford would have arranged for assembly in a country that can access world markets while still being able to export to North America. Few countries in the world can sell a truck with XLT or higher trim levels. The US and Canada are 2 of them. Most markets the T6 will sell in are looking for a work truck, not a plaything.

The recent trade agreement with South Korea (not yet ratified) also ditches the Chicken tax.

If Ford doesn't step in, perhaps Hyundai?

Only partially in 8 years and fully in 10 years. So maybe there will be a Korean built Kia K150 Pickup in 2020, but probably not before then...

kia_kcv4_mojave_11.jpg

If it was only about import tariffs, Ford would have arranged for assembly in a country that can access world markets while still being able to export to North America. Few countries in the world can sell a truck with XLT or higher trim levels. The US and Canada are 2 of them. Most markets the T6 will sell in are looking for a work truck, not a plaything.

The Chicken Tax is very hard to work around - even in most countries we have trade agreements with the chicken tax still applies. Canada and Mexico are the only 2 that as of now do not have it applied to them.

Ok, you are going around in circles.

Ford could not arrange for domestic (and by that I mean NAFTA region) assembly because the projected demand for such a truck does exists to support investment in an all new assembly line. The cost to refurbish Twin City will make this truck too expensive and there are no other plants in NAFTA region that can accommodate T6, which is completely different than any other cars/trucks made here. The only way Ford could sell this truck at a reasonable profit is to import it at low volume. But imported trucks are subject to 25% import tariff also known as the chicken tax. The only countries that are currently exempt from chicken tax are Canada, Mexico, and Australia (and presumably, Korea soon). Do you get the problem now???

It is ALL about the import tariffs. Without chicken tax, Ford can easily import this truck from Thailand and sell it next to F-150 for those few people that want a smaller Ford truck. And this is why I say Canada stands a good chance to see this truck once Ford gets production up to speed, because Canada does have punitive import tariff on trucks.

Edited by bzcat