Chevy Silverado HD outclasses Ford SuperDuty for Truck fo the Year

The new GM HD chassis and suspension is state-of-the-art. The Super Duty is a great truck, but it is starting to show it's age.

And yet, the Super Duty has class leading towing. There's nothing bad about the truck at all. In certain conditions, different vehicles simply perform better than others.

Mike, Do you think the next gen Super Duty will have a fully boxed frame or will they stay with an open c section? Which would you prefer?

Yes. I think the next Ford Super Duty will have a boxed frame. Right now, I like what GM has done with their boxed frame and suspension improvements. Ram 2500/3500 is also boxed.

But all of these trucks are tremendously capable and awesome. I think any fan of domestic vehicles should be very proud. Competing only amongst themselves, all three have built the best trucks we've ever driven. 2011 is a huge win for HD truck buyers, regardless of brand.

• Like 1

Yes. I think the next Ford Super Duty will have a boxed frame. Right now, I like what GM has done with their boxed frame and suspension improvements. Ram 2500/3500 is also boxed.

But all of these trucks are tremendously capable and awesome. I think any fan of domestic vehicles should be very proud. Competing only amongst themselves, all three have built the best trucks we've ever driven. 2011 is a huge win for HD truck buyers, regardless of brand.

The reason why the Ford Super Duty does not have a fully boxed frame.

What benefit will you get from going to a fully boxed frame? What are the negatives? Why would this be good for Ford, who is the current class leader in sales (partly because of the fact they use an open C, that is more easily configurable)?

Why the hell does the Ford Super Duty weigh 800 more pounds than the Chevy HD? That is a massive amount of extra weight to carry around considering both trucks have very similar capabilities. Ford needs to put its pickup trucks on big diet. If I were Mulally, I would be posing that question to Ford engineers. Get the lard out!

I pull a 36ft 5th Wheel RV 12600 lb GW. I want a heavy pull horse and I don't want the tail wagging the dog.

Do you pull heavy trailers?

Why the hell does the Ford Super Duty weigh 800 more pounds than the Chevy HD? That is a massive amount of extra weight to carry around considering both trucks have very similar capabilities. Ford needs to put its pickup trucks on big diet. If I were Mulally, I would be posing that question to Ford engineers. Get the lard out!

You don't understand a thing about how heavy duty pickups are used in the US do you? Weight matters on a performance car NOT on a heavy duty pickup. You think that taking some of the metal out and lighting it up will make it a more durable truck? I can promise you those extra 800 pounds aren't because the plastic dash weighs more on the Ford. Those extra pounds are in the frame and the front suspension components. You take these trucks out and start working them hard on large cattle ranches, oil fields, construction sites, etc. and the extra strength matters. Ford's Super Duty is built for years and years of service in the harshest conditions. Nobody except you cares about weight in this class they care about durability.

The Chevy might have a few better performance figures because it is lighter and the Dodge might have a great engine in the Cummings, but I can promise you one thing... The last truck standing when it comes to the test of time will be the Super Duty. No one builds a tougher heavy duty pickup then Ford. When someone needs to haul cattle in a large trailer out to some rough rangeland in the middle of Wyoming I can tell you the last thing they are thinking is... "Wow I wish Ford would lighten this truck up."

• Like 4

Fords are only fully boxed in the half ton. Only the front of the frame is fully boxed on the Super Duty. The rest is open c section down the frame. The c section makes it easier for Ford to put on different frames and for upfitters. But in the tests the fully boxed frame makes for a better ride and more payload and better traction in the shootouts. Pickuptrucks.com and Motor Trend said the Chevy and GM have a better ride due to the frame. Ford will have to put an all new frame on the next redesign. Although Popular Mechanics test did say the Super Duty has a slightly better ride than GM. I'll have to side with MT and pickuptrucks.com on the fully boxed frame giving the better ride because PM was the one I've seen that said Ford had the better ride. I agree about the features. The performance is close, so it will come down to features for most buyers.

Please explain how the awards are for sale. I'm interested in hearing about this.

I went on a Ride and drive event with C&D in Charlotte a couple of years ago. It was basicaly a Cadillac advertisement. It had Car and Driver sings all over. We drove the STS and BMW 5 series and the SRX and RX330 on a set up course. I asked one of the guys, "so who's paying for this, who's supposed to win?" He said "wait until you exit through the tent". It was purely a Cadillac event hosted by C&D.

We had to fill out surveys and if they liked it, you could end up in the magazine saying how great Cadillac is.

The media is a business, no matter if its the News on 9 or a magazine. In this case, who bought the largest ad.

I bet when you pull up to the pump you wish Ford would really lighten the truck up. LOL just kidding. Long term durability is only one of the reasons the Ford weighs more. That 800-1200 pounds extra you get on a Ford is designed to create the most stable towing platform you can buy. Have you ever maxed out GVWRs on a Chevy or Dodge? It's a challenge on the Dodge and downright scary on the Chevy. Granted it has been a few years since I have pulled anything with a truck as I now have a more stable gig, but towing with a Ford feels alot safer than towing with either of the other two in both solidity and control.

On a side note I saw one of those Max and Al commercials on TV, I had no idea that crap was seriously made for a TV commercial, I thought it was kind of an internet advertisement that only diesel diehards might see. They really need to come up with some better stuff than that if they want to appeal to heavy duty truck buyers. The first thing my uncle asked me was if Max and Al were supposed to come off as gay. So unless GM is trying to appeal to gay heavy duty truck buyers only, they might want to change their advertising strategies a bit.

• Like 1

One thing MT hasn't published yet (or I haven't been able to find it) are detailed specs for each truck. I've tested 2011 one-ton Ford and Chevy trucks that weighed within 200 pounds of each other on a CAT scale. That's a very small difference. I'm curious to see how MT's trucks were configured.

A boxed frame provides stiffness while reducing weight. I can see Ford offering fully boxed F-250, F-350 and F-450 pickups but obviously keeping C-channel for F-450 and up chassis cabs because of upfitter needs.

Guess we'll find out in a few years, or maybe sooner. ;)

Motor Trend's awards are for sale. Anyone who believes that this award reflects a serious comparison............................................................

1+...............

Lets see some of the awesome winners they picked over the past 30+ years:

2002 Ford Thunderbird (Not a bad looking car but a mechanical nightmare like most Ford products from this era)

1983 AMC / Renault Alliance

1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

1974 Ford Mustang II

I think the greater benefit is a lower ride height with comparable stiffness. A boxed section doesn't have to be as tall as an open C.

Makes sense that a boxed frame would be stiffer. In a big truck, the true measure of frame size is a number known as the "RBM" or resistance bending moment. Its the product of the frames section modulus times the steel yield strength. There is a lot more to frame strength then "boxed vs. "C".

Motor Trend? Yawn-hairdressers! Let's hope the new PS lives up to the hype. I also would like to see Ford do something to make the warranty numbers look a little more competitive.

Here's the entire COTY / TOTY since they began awarding them single vehicles and not entire car divisions.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Trend_Car_of_the_Year

Car of the Year

2011 Chevrolet Volt

2010 Ford Fusion

2009 Nissan GT-R

2008 Cadillac CTS

2007 Toyota Camry

2006 Honda Civic

2005 Chrysler 300

2004 Toyota Prius

2003 Infiniti G35

2002 Ford Thunderbird

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2000 Lincoln LS

1999 Chrysler 300M

1998 Chevrolet Corvette

1997 Chevrolet Malibu

1996 Dodge Caravan

1995 Chrysler Cirrus

1994 Ford Mustang

1993 Ford Probe GT

1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan

1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ

1990 Lincoln Town Car

1989 Ford Thunderbird SC

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix

1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

1986 Ford Taurus LX

1985 Volkswagen GTI (eligible due to it being built in VW's now-defunct Pennsylvania plant)

1984 Chevrolet Corvette

1983 AMC / Renault Alliance

1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant

1980 Chevrolet Citation

1979 Buick Riviera S

1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon

1977 Chevrolet Caprice

1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

1974 Ford Mustang II

1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1972 Citroën SM (an imported vehicle that was selected overall "Car of the Year")

1971 Chevrolet Vega

1970 Ford Torino

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

1968 Pontiac GTO

1967 Mercury Cougar

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Truck of the Year

2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD [12]

2010 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty [13]

2009 Ford F-150

2008 Toyota Tundra

2007 Chevrolet Silverado

2006 Honda Ridgeline

2005 Toyota Tacoma

2004 Ford F-150

2003 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

2001 Chevrolet Silverado Heavy Duty

2000 Toyota Tundra

1999 Chevrolet Silverado

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

1997 Ford F-150

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

1995 Chevrolet Blazer

1994 Dodge Ram

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1992 Ford Van Chateau Club Wagon

1991 Mazda Navajo

1990 Ford Aerostar

1989 Toyota Truck Xtracab SR5

1980-1988 No award

1979 Chevrolet LUV

Sport/Utility of the Year

2011 Porsche Cayenne

2010 Subaru Outback

2009 Subaru Forester

2008 Mazda CX-9

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

2006 Nissan Xterra

2005 Land Rover LR3

2004 Volkswagen Touareg

2003 Volvo XC90

2002 GMC Envoy

2001 Acura MDX

2000 Nissan Xterra

1999 Lexus RX300

Import Car of the Year

Introduced in 1970 for one year and then brought back in 1976 due to distinguishing differences between imports and American cars, was discontinued after the 1999 model year when the line between what is truly American and what isn't became very blurry.

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle

1998 Lexus GS

1997 BMW 5-Series

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

1995 Nissan Maxima

1994 Honda Accord

1993 Mazda RX-7

1992 Lexus SC 400

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

1990 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

1989 Mitsubishi Galant GS

1988 Honda CRX Si

1987 Acura Legend Coupe

1986 Mazda RX-7

1985 Toyota MR2

1984 Honda Civic CRX

1983 Mazda 626

1982 Toyota Celica Supra

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

1980 Honda Civic

1979 Datsun 280ZX

1978 Toyota Celica

1977 Mercedes-Benz 280E

1976 Toyota Celica Liftback

1971-1975 no award

1970 Porsche 914

Number of "OTY" awards per Manufacturer (largest advertising revenue to MT?)

GM (26)

Chevrolet 19

Pontiac 2

Cadillac 2

Buick 1

GMC 1

Oldsmobile 1

Ford (19)

Ford 14

Lincoln 2

Mercury 1

Land Rover 1 (during ownership)

Volvo 1 (during ownership)

Chrysler (13) (+2 MB Vehicles during their merger)

Chrysler 7

Dodge 4

Jeep 1

Plymouth 1

Toyota (13)

Toyota 10

Lexus 3

Honda (8)

Honda 6

Acura 2

Nissan (7)

Nissan 5

Infiniti 1

Datsun 1

Mazda 5 (did not include in Ford numbers since not fully owned)

Mercedes-Benz 5

Volkswagen 3

Mitsubishi 2

Subaru 2

Porsche 2

Citroën 1

I think the greater benefit is a lower ride height with comparable stiffness. A boxed section doesn't have to be as tall as an open C.

That is a factor. All things being equal, a box is inherently stronger than a channel. In addition, the GM's boxed frame rails are made of 60,000 psi steel, while Ford uses 36,000 psi steel. One of the reason in years past the Super Duty was so much heavier than comparable GM and Dodge pickups was because of the lower grade steel Ford used in their frames. Ford had to use thick heavy rails to get the strength they wanted. However, there was a couple of advantages to that design. The lower grade steel is easier to straighten if bent, and C channel frame rails are easier to mount aftermarket bodies. Surprisingly, the 2011 HD's are now just about the same weight as the Super Duty, but I believe the GM frame rails have a substantially higher RBM than the Ford. If that is the case, GM has surpassed Ford in frame strength at the same weight. That is significant, and is the reason I think (as Mike does) that the next generation Super Duty will have a boxed frame too.

• Like 1