MKX seats

gt6974a

We're in the market for a new SUV/CUV. Still waiting for the Explorer to come out but we drove a MKX and MKT.

We really liked the MKX but found the seats to almost be hard as a rock. I did a search and couldn't find anything but is this a common complaint in these vehicles?

The MKT seats were better, but still seemed pretty hard

My wife drives alot for work and this is a major concern for her

We've driven a RX350, MDX, Enclave, Volvo c90, Edge, Grand Cherokee, Acadia, etc and found that each has their pros/cons

We're in the market for a new SUV/CUV. Still waiting for the Explorer to come out but we drove a MKX and MKT.

We really liked the MKX but found the seats to almost be hard as a rock. I did a search and couldn't find anything but is this a common complaint in these vehicles?

The MKT seats were better, but still seemed pretty hard

My wife drives alot for work and this is a major concern for her

We've driven a RX350, MDX, Enclave, Volvo c90, Edge, Grand Cherokee, Acadia, etc and found that each has their pros/cons

On the contrary - most report the MKX seats to be best in class. See if you can take one home overnight and try it out for 30 minutes to an hour. Firm seats are generally better than soft ones for long term comfort but they do take a bit to get used to.

• 4 weeks later...

You are absolutely right. The MKX seats are like sitting on a carpeted floor. Short drives are not bad, but after 50 miles, it becomes a pain.

My guess is Ford won't spend the money to put in smaller seat controls, leaving no room for cushioning. My wife bought me a cushion, but it defeats the use of the seat heat and a/c. I think a lot of the discomfort also comes from the shape. The Honda Fit and the Dodge suv have good seats without a lot of cushion. Ford needs to re assign their seat person. The last 3 Fords we have owned did not have good seats, 93 F 150, no back adjustment on the bench seat, cushion was like sitting on a balloon the first 3 or 4 years, 99 Cobra, seats worse than the V6 base mustang, ??, again the seat cushion was like sitting on a balloon. K mart had better seats on their lawn mowers. I bought a set of Corbeau's, giving up the power seat and never regretted it. 03 Escape seats an improvement, but nothing to get excited about. No side support and the cushion is thin. I could not change the seats out, due to loosing the side airbags. 88 Bronco II, I could ride in this vehicle for days. Seats had power lumbar and no power. Side support was good for Ford, cushion was good, back adjustments good. Is Ford backing up on their seat comfort? I bought the MKX to travel in, but the seats sure hurt the comfort.

Ford are you listening. I may have a few more car purchases left in me.

• Like 2

You are absolutely right. The MKX seats are like sitting on a carpeted floor. Short drives are not bad, but after 50 miles, it becomes a pain.

My guess is Ford won't spend the money to put in smaller seat controls, leaving no room for cushioning. My wife bought me a cushion, but it defeats the use of the seat heat and a/c. I think a lot of the discomfort also comes from the shape. The Honda Fit and the Dodge suv have good seats without a lot of cushion. Ford needs to re assign their seat person. The last 3 Fords we have owned did not have good seats, 93 F 150, no back adjustment on the bench seat, cushion was like sitting on a balloon the first 3 or 4 years, 99 Cobra, seats worse than the V6 base mustang, ??, again the seat cushion was like sitting on a balloon. K mart had better seats on their lawn mowers. I bought a set of Corbeau's, giving up the power seat and never regretted it. 03 Escape seats an improvement, but nothing to get excited about. No side support and the cushion is thin. I could not change the seats out, due to loosing the side airbags. 88 Bronco II, I could ride in this vehicle for days. Seats had power lumbar and no power. Side support was good for Ford, cushion was good, back adjustments good. Is Ford backing up on their seat comfort? I bought the MKX to travel in, but the seats sure hurt the comfort.

Ford are you listening. I may have a few more car purchases left in me.

Since you're the only one complaining about them I'd say it's you more than the seats.

• 3 years later...

I found the seats of our 2013 MKX very comfortable. In fact, the cabin comfort was one of the main reason we bought this car. My wife who is the main driver of this car, and is much lighter than me, also has positive remarks about the seats. I think you should try out the car for a long drive.

• 6 years later...

I recently purchased a used 2013 MKX and found the same issue in the driver seat - very hard and uncomfortable especially when coming from a 2019 Ford Edge with incredibly comfortable seats. What I find strange is the right side feels as thought there is a support bar / seat frame or something that goes across my butt, but not all the way across, whereas, the left side doesn't have that. Has anyone else experienced this and if so have you been able to add any cushioning in that area to make it feel better? Maybe it's just me as @akirby would say, but I thought I would give my 2 cents.