Mercury Enthusiasts

I really enjoyed the old ads in the slideshow, I have always liked the looks of Mercury over its Ford counterpart, I am truly sad to see it go. My father and grandfather usually bought only Mercury cars, I had been following suit but now am left with quite a dilemma. I was thinking about Mercury and its past yesterday while watching Hawaii Five O (the original) and was wondering how rare and how much some of those old Mercurys are worth. His 68 Park Lane Brougham and his 74 Marquis Brougham Hardtop (last year for a full size, four door hardtop I believe) and all. 1970s cars were bulky, huge tanks, but I loved them all, they float over every bump (especially Ford products), who can deny the fact that fender skirts looked good on this era of cars, and on top of that a 460 V8 and curb feelers! I wish I could find myself a big old Merc like McGarretts and give it a good home.

• Like 1

I was thinking about Mercury and its past yesterday while watching Hawaii Five O (the original) and was wondering how rare and how much some of those old Mercurys are worth. .

Check out frame #38. A 64' Marauder. The print on the ad is legible. You could order that car with a 427ci with an 8barrel carb ( two fours?) How many of them do you think were made and how many do you think could possibly be left? If you had one in red or black with a black interior, maybe with buckets, what could that be worth?

Check out frame #38. A 64' Marauder. The print on the ad is legible. You could order that car with a 427ci with an 8barrel carb ( two fours?) How many of them do you think were made and how many do you think could possibly be left? If you had one in red or black with a black interior, maybe with buckets, what could that be worth?

There were at least a few made. I have seen magazine spreads with the '63 and '64 427 Super Marauder. Mercury was very involved in Nascar and other racing activities like the Pike's Peak Run at the time. I'm sure the 427 Merc is rarer than the Galaxie version. AFAIK there are no ford production records available prior to '67 except for the T-Birds.

Thanks for the post Soupy. :)

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

These old ads bring tears to my eyes.

The 67 and 68 cougar ads were the best. A few of us are old enough to remember the tag lines; "At the sign of the Cat"

As far as the 427 FE very few were bullt for the street in Fords or Mercurys. Just like the Hemi's not really good street motors. Ford trailed behind GM and Mopar for strong engines until Mr Tasca showed them how to make the 428 police intercepter into the Cobra Jet in 1968.

The 390's just did not get the job done versus the rat motors and mopar wedges.

These old ads bring tears to my eyes.

The 67 and 68 cougar ads were the best. A few of us are old enough to remember the tag lines; "At the sign of the Cat"

As far as the 427 FE very few were bullt for the street in Fords or Mercurys. Just like the Hemi's not really good street motors. Ford trailed behind GM and Mopar for strong engines until Mr Tasca showed them how to make the 428 police intercepter into the Cobra Jet in 1968.

The 390's just did not get the job done versus the rat motors and mopar wedges.

One of the guys at our local car cruises has a '64 Galaxie XL 427 convertible. One odd fact, the 427 required 15" wheels and Ford didn't have a 15" full wheelcover in '64. They used '56 Mercury wheelcovers and bolted the Ford Crest Spinner from the 14" wire wheelcovers over the Mercury emblem in the center.