Ford Boosts Production

The Colorado Front Range and Denver Metro area is the SUV capital of America. Amazingly, I have yet to see one single new Explorer. Jeep GC's and Toyota 4Runners galore. And that massive hideous new Infinity QX all over the road, but no new Explorers...very surprising.

I know the numbers say they are off to a good start, but I am very suprised not to see any here.

The Colorado Front Range and Denver Metro area is the SUV capital of America. Amazingly, I have yet to see one single new Explorer. Jeep GC's and Toyota 4Runners galore. And that massive hideous new Infinity QX all over the road, but no new Explorers...very surprising.

I know the numbers say they are off to a good start, but I am very suprised not to see any here.

I've seen two so far (on the road)...one in MD and one in NJ.

Saw two at the dealship since Christmas time.

Matter of fact I even saw 2-3 MKT's this past Saturday when I went to the mall too...

At the Philadelphia auto show this past weekend, I had to wait in line just to sit in the new Explorer...judging by the reaction of people at the show, it's no wonder that Ford is boosting production. It had a crowd around it almost the entire time I was there, which is pretty remarkable for a vehicle that isn't a muscle car, sports car or European luxury import.

As I predicted, the Explorer is off to a great start. Once it is out in its full force, it will easily be a 10K a month mover.

Bubb, bubb, bubb, it's not a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it's not a 4 Wheel drive,

it can't go off road, Ford will lose all their customers...:shades:

I was at the Houston Auto show week before last, on a Thursday. I would describe the attendance as "light" (at 1pm) or "moderate" (at 6pm). However, at the Ford display, I would describe it as "moderate" at 1pm and "heavy" at 6pm. It was definitely the busiest display. And the three Explorers on display were certainly the biggest attraction. There were crowds around them the whole time.

A car salesman friend was working the floor. He has been selling Fords for almost twenty years. He and I had a lengthy visit about "the state of things." He noted they are selling the Explorers as soon as they arrive. Here are some of his other comments:

-- overall, business is good. (I assume that would tie directly to how much money he is making.) "Compared to how things were two years ago, I can't believe where I am today."

-- he has two customer orders for F150 EcoBoosts.

-- the Fiesta is a hard sell due to 1) clearance pricing on Focus, 2) minimal ability for a salesman to make money on them

-- most interest in the Fiesta is from twentysomethings; the advertising has worked

-- he enjoys, but struggles with, keeping up with technology (i.e. MyFordTouch). This was accompanied by comments about his less-than-eager cohorts --- "lazy" and "would rather be outside smoking cigarettes".

-- "There is almost nothing in the lineup I consider to be inferior to the competition."

-- He regularly sees customers who specifically are there due to the lack of Ford taking bail-out money, and/or specifically are looking at Fusions instead of Camrys and Accords, due to Fusion's good reputation.

And no sooner than I spoke, I saw one at the gym this evening - silver,of course, with dealer advertisements in the license plate brackets. Can't for the life of me figure out why after dropping the better part of $40k, people drive around with those things tagged on their cars...

Anyhow - very nice in person

That's because it's not Metro Detroit. So you're not getting any, because your area doesn't matter.

Parallel universe:

Territory update is still a month or so away even though FoA had an official reveal today, much of the new

engine data is being held back for now, new V6 diesel from Land Rover is set to take 50% of sales.

It's basically an extensive face lift, interior upgrade and new power trains, old versus new:

ford-territory-titaniumand-ghia_600-600x400.jpg

Parallel universe:

Territory update is still a month or so away even though FoA had an official reveal today, much of the new

engine data is being held back for now, new V6 diesel from Land Rover is set to take 50% of sales.

It's basically an extensive face lift, interior upgrade and new power trains, old versus new:

ford-territory-titaniumand-ghia_600-600x400.jpg

ford-territory-titanium_600c-600x400.jpg

Parallel universe:

ford-territory-titanium_600c-600x400.jpg

Why the one-piece bench? Bad design for a utility vehicle.