Bed Liner

lakeguy

The 2011 order guide on page 1 lists "-New optional Spray-In Bed Liner custom accessory". I've done a search on forum topics but I still have a few questions.

1) If this is now a factory option, why does it not show when you try and build a truck on the website, and does anyone have a price?

2) I found many posts discussing Ford factory option versus Line-X, etc. But most are about 2 years old, about the time Ford started offering this as a factory option. Most posts seem to indicate Line-X is better and you are better off having it done post-delivery. Anything changed in the past few years? Pros / Cons? Opinions?

Thanks

The 2011 order guide on page 1 lists "-New optional Spray-In Bed Liner custom accessory". I've done a search on forum topics but I still have a few questions.

1) If this is now a factory option, why does it not show when you try and build a truck on the website, and does anyone have a price?

2) I found many posts discussing Ford factory option versus Line-X, etc. But most are about 2 years old, about the time Ford started offering this as a factory option. Most posts seem to indicate Line-X is better and you are better off having it done post-delivery. Anything changed in the past few years? Pros / Cons? Opinions?

Thanks

Lakeguy, the spray in bed liner is done by robots and yes its sprayed very thin. The dealer should be able to tell you the price. One consideration on that is say you order the truck with the EB engine, and they do not do the spray at that plant, now the truck has to be shipped to where its done possibly(subject to change mind you) which may cause more delay. I would bet you don't want to delay on getting your new baby! Also to the best of my digging it will only be covered for the the 3 years/36,000 miles. Next question falls where do you take it if you chip it, tear it? Good question. If you have it done after you take delivery, you can always request the local line-x - Rhino dealers to spray say the bed a little thicker then the side walls or other points etc. Also you will have a lifetime warranty as long as you own the truck should it tear, chip, melt or what ever and they can fix it right then. Its also good nation wide from either dealer for their product. Another point is they can color match your truck if you want to make it more snazy or stand out. The options are unlimited and how far your wallet will go. In NC where I live when home, Rhino will do my 2011 FX2 with 6.5 bed when its delivered for $385.00 I have that locked in and its good to go. happy%20feet.gif Bottom line do it after delivery. Thats my two cents here and hope it helps. Take care from the sand pile of IRAQ. :reading:

From what I've read the factory spray-in liner is only done on trucks sourced from KC. If you happen to build a truck that has no way in blazes of being built at KC you don't get the option for a spray in. As far as how good it is, I've heard a mixed bag. The biggest complaint I've heard is that it is only covered under warranty for 3 years or 36k miles.

When I was on the "Build it" part of the Ford site, it would pop up on some models but not others and I also saw the KC plant only. When I ordered my truck ( with the bedliner) it was $450 list. Maybe not the best choice seeing the info here, but time will tell.

Wade Chandler

Cumming, GA

I couldn't find any information on a spray-in liner option. I asked my dealer and he tried to push a Turbo Liner on me. Cheaper than LineX, but not as well reviewed. Since I couldn't find info on the factory option I would ask about material, thickness, and preperation. Will it fade? How will they prep the bed - sand or etch or just squirt it on? Lots of unknowns... I would go LineX or Rhino. Good luck

From what I've read the factory spray-in liner is only done on trucks sourced from KC. If you happen to build a truck that has no way in blazes of being built at KC you don't get the option for a spray in. As far as how good it is, I've heard a mixed bag. The biggest complaint I've heard is that it is only covered under warranty for 3 years or 36k miles.

My dealer told me the same thing, could only be added on trucks sourced to KC. At the time I ordered EB F150's were not being built out of KC yet, so I left it off and decided to go the line-x route. From what I am hearing of the quality sounds like it might have been for the best!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if installing a goose neck ball is an issue after a spray-in bed liner installed? I have heard conflicting opinions.

I am having a fifth-wheel hitch installed when I get my F150. After discussing it with both the hitch manufacturer and the liner dealer, this seems to be the best sequence: Have the holes drilled in the bed for the hitch. Then have the liner sprayed in. Then install the hitch. Everyone gave me good reasons why this is the best way to do it.

I say go with LINE-X Premium (new option). LINE-X Premium won't fade, will be thicker than Ford's bedliner, and you get a lifetime warranty that's valid nationwide. What else do you want?

LINE-X is a LOT stronger than Rhino, that's according to there technical data sheets.

I say go with LINE-X Premium (new option). LINE-X Premium won't fade, will be thicker than Ford's bedliner, and you get a lifetime warranty that's valid nationwide. What else do you want?

LINE-X is a LOT stronger than Rhino, that's according to there technical data sheets.

I have several friends with Line-x sprayed in theirs (construction field trucks) and they're all very happy with it. When our truck comes in that'll be one of it's first stops.

I'm thinking of going with Bedtred - Anyone have any experience with this bedliner?

I plan to go with this option, but if you want one that covers a tailgate step tailgate you'll have to wait until they release that one this summer.

I plan to go with this option, but if you want one that covers a tailgate step tailgate you'll have to wait until they release that one this summer.

Thanks - No tailgate step. I have a bedrug on my current truck. I like it, but the bedtred appears more durable.

I ordered a new F350 which is made in Kentucky and the spray in liner is part

of my order.

My 2005 F350 came with out a factory liner and I had one put in by Rhino. Then I

put in a truck box in the front of the 8 foot bed. And I installed a Reese 5th wheel hitch.

Now contrary to what hitch installers would tell you. Ford had 4 bed bolts in the 8 ft

F350 2005 bed at exactly the correct spacing for the 5th wheel rails if you used a single large

bolt on each end of each rail. Just remove the factory bolts. Go under the truck

and remove the nut plates. No drilling required. Then the rails where on top of the Rhino liner.

Now 5 years later I removed the truck box. (waiting on 2011 truck) The Rhino liner behind the

truck box is shiny and everywhere else is dull.

Lakeguy, the spray in bed liner is done by robots and yes its sprayed very thin. The dealer should be able to tell you the price. One consideration on that is say you order the truck with the EB engine, and they do not do the spray at that plant, now the truck has to be shipped to where its done possibly(subject to change mind you) which may cause more delay. I would bet you don't want to delay on getting your new baby! Also to the best of my digging it will only be covered for the the 3 years/36,000 miles. Next question falls where do you take it if you chip it, tear it? Good question. If you have it done after you take delivery, you can always request the local line-x - Rhino dealers to spray say the bed a little thicker then the side walls or other points etc. Also you will have a lifetime warranty as long as you own the truck should it tear, chip, melt or what ever and they can fix it right then. Its also good nation wide from either dealer for their product. Another point is they can color match your truck if you want to make it more snazy or stand out. The options are unlimited and how far your wallet will go. In NC where I live when home, Rhino will do my 2011 FX2 with 6.5 bed when its delivered for $385.00 I have that locked in and its good to go. happy%20feet.gif Bottom line do it after delivery. Thats my two cents here and hope it helps. Take care from the sand pile of IRAQ. :reading:

You can also look at the bedrug liner. I have a truck on order and pretty sure we're going to go with a bedrug. Cost is the same and everyone that has them seems to swear by them.

FYI

If you square off with the lot leach prior to the truck arriving they can get the LineX installed at a discounted price over what you can get yourself and the dealer will have the truck there and back before you get it. Quote to me for my EcoBoost long bed was $468.00 plus tax. Dealer doing it $405.00 and I don't have to mess with it.

You can also look at the bedrug liner. I have a truck on order and pretty sure we're going to go with a bedrug. Cost is the same and everyone that has them seems to swear by them.

I had a bedrug in my '05 F150 and I loved it, for the way I used the truck. If you use your truck for hard core work, the bedrug is not for you. If you use it for occasional hauling, that it works well. It's great for taking the kids to the creek, sitting in the back to have a picnic lunch, sitting back there to enjoy fireworks, etc, but it is not made for hauling wood, straw or hay (getting that stuff out of the carpet...HOLY CRAP!!).

In short...Rhino or Line-X if you use your truck hard as a truck. Bedrug if you don't!

I had a bedrug in my '05 F150 and I loved it, for the way I used the truck. If you use your truck for hard core work, the bedrug is not for you. If you use it for occasional hauling, that it works well. It's great for taking the kids to the creek, sitting in the back to have a picnic lunch, sitting back there to enjoy fireworks, etc, but it is not made for hauling wood, straw or hay (getting that stuff out of the carpet...HOLY CRAP!!).

In short...Rhino or Line-X if you use your truck hard as a truck. Bedrug if you don't!

Agree 100 %

I thought I would just add to the comments:

As mentioned, Bedrug is OK for light to moderate duty only. But, if you get one, you really need a tonneau cover to go with it. You won't be happy trying to wash out all of the junk that gets into it and it also will tend to sag after a while if it gets weathered.

BedTred is not bad, but it's pricey for what you get, it's a bit flimsy.

The good news is that Bedrug and BedTred are removable, unlike a spray-on. But, if you want a tough and good looking bedliner, LINE-X Premium is hard to beat.