Should Ford bring back the Mustang Coupe?

Since 1994, they've only built the fastback and convertible. When we ordered our first Mustang back in 1964, it was the my mom's car, i.e., the family car (my dad drove a 57 T-Bird). I ended up being 6'0" and could sit comfortably in the back seat (my parents were both shorter). Back then, if you needed a bigger RWD sporty car, you could step up to a Fairlane GT or Torino GT, or all the way up to an XL No longer. i'm of the belief that Ford could expand Mustang sales if they offered a version that could seat 4 adults in relative comfort.

Our first Mustang. This was taken during Chrismas of 1965 when it was a little over a year old. My parents gave me the car when I graduated high school with honors. Sadly, it was stolen in 1983.

218975295.jpg

A pic of an ultra rare 68 GT500 coupe. Only two were built.

shelby-exp500-css-black-hornet-.jpg

The last of the Mustang coupes (1993)

1993-mustang-coupe-380x380o.jpg

No. I don't think it would sell well enough to make it worthwhile.

I agree.... the choice would be nice, but I can't see a slightly modified profile and ass end bringing more buyers to the table. We should feel lucky that Ford is allowing the Mustang to continue and evolve on its own platform, compared to the Camaro, Challenger, Genesis et all who are saddled to a sedan program.

Functionally, the car as is is fine. The other roofline doesn't really offer enough difference, for the cost., IMHO.

For what it would cost to do that roofline, I would rather a creative gamble — build a hatch/wagon, like the Volvo P1800.

With the right style, a 5.0 Mustang Shooting Brake would be a delight. 3.5 EB+ power. Considering the next Mustang is supposed to be smaller, the extra interior space might be a plus. :)

So the reason you want this is for more rearseat headroom, Steven?

Wouldn't it also need a bit more legroom to seat 4 real adults (in relative comfort.)?

&

since Ford (& all Mfgs) is so resistant to offering additional body styles,

I'd rather see a Lincoln coupecabrio-or-slidingroof version

Edited by 2b2

ONly if it made $$$. BUt, in my opinion, no need at al. The 79-93 notchback didn't sell that well in its last days, and is only popular with aftermarket and the NMRA, Mustang drag assoc. To me, it gets boring seeing the same square body in all the Stang entusiast mags. They look like Tempos, no thanks.

At first I had no clue as to the reference... For me "coupe" means 2 doors, but now I understand what you all ment about the roofline. I'mnto seeing that happen, specially when designers are morphing sedans into looking like fastback/coupe-like shapes. Now you have rear deck lids that are about a foot in depth (from trunk tip to rear window line), at the same time this design element making rear seat head heights shorter, and oddly shaped trunks with weird compromised openings (MKS). Wonder how much damage they incure with rear impacts when you have the rear window glass that close to the edge of the trunk line...

I've always thought of the 94-04 as well as the 05 and newer Mustangs as coupes. Never really thought of them as fastbacks. Personally, on the next generation, I would like to see a hatch, coupe & convertible version. They could even call the hatch version a fastback if that makes them feel better.