Realistic Price

bpm382

I asked a dealer for his best "out the door price" on a 2011 XLT Super Crew. He took MSRP, subtracted the Ford rebates and arrived at his final number. I wasn't impressed. Is it unrealistic to start at the Invoice price, subtract Ford rebates, and arrive at an "out the door" price? What is a fair price on a XLT Supercrew 5.0, with 5.5 bed, 3.55 gears, Covenience, Chrome, Tow, and Plus package?

Thanks

I asked a dealer for his best "out the door price" on a 2011 XLT Super Crew. He took MSRP, subtracted the Ford rebates and arrived at his final number. I wasn't impressed. Is it unrealistic to start at the Invoice price, subtract Ford rebates, and arrive at an "out the door" price? What is a fair price on a XLT Supercrew 5.0, with 5.5 bed, 3.55 gears, Covenience, Chrome, Tow, and Plus package?

Thanks

That's not realistic. It's possible the dealer was really low on stock but it sounds like they just didn't want to take the time to negotiate with you for some reason.

True dealer invoice minus rebates is a good starting point. With inventories so low right now you might have to go a little above that - $500 over maybe - but certainly not MSRP.

Just wait a month or two for inventories to build back up and you'll be able to get a good deal.

When I was looking for the best price I e-mailed most of the dealers in the area. I heard the internet sales section can give better deals with less hassle. I sent out the e-mail to 6 dealerships then waited. I received three responses. One couldn't get my name right (I kind of felt like I was in that Progressive commercial), one offered full price, and the third didn't respond until two weeks later. The first one was out, because my name was on the e-mail. They should have had the ability to read the name at the bottom. The second one was out, since I asked for their best price (I'll elaborate more on this dealership later). The third one was out, because by the time they responded i had already ordered my truck.

When the second dealership responded I told them that I had a much better offer, which I did have. I got the feeling the negotiations with that second dealer were going to be tough. When I ask for best price and I get full price in return, it is a clue to go else where. I know what the full price is they don't need to tell me. Of course the Internet Sales Manager, in charge of internet sales (that's how she introduced herself the second time) kept e-mailing me. She even introduced herself a second time after e-mailing me for a few weeks. In that last e-mail she let me know that they can give the best no haggle price. I found this rather funny since I asked for their best price and she returned with full price. I guess technically that was true it was the best price the dealership could hope to get.

Edited by 1depd

I can top that one -

The F150 XLT I wound up ordering has a sticker price of $38,655. The first price one of the dealers gave me for this truck was $50,000. I didn't exactly tell them where to stick it, but I'm pretty sure they understood the sentiment :) Also, I ordered the truck at a different dealer. For $35,176.62.

If you are a member of the USAA they use something called ZAG, or something like that.

You can build the truck the same as you would on the Ford site and it will give you the price that a participating ZAG dealer will sell you the truck for.

I did this, and got a price that was about $500 below invoice.

I then took this price and went to my dealer, and they matched the price. This doesn't include any incentives.

It might not be the best, but it was better than the X-plan price.

Definitely on the ZAG price - you can also get the ZAG price if you have an American Express card.

When you get the prices, only talk to the dealers that don't have the "honors price on MOST vehicles" under their name. That was how I wound up with an initial offer almost $20,000 higher than the ZAG price at one of the dealers.

P38,

I am a repeat customer with this dealer...

I had trouble with my F350 diesel. A mechanic told me that the problem was something that would cause the engine to have water in it, and was now probably junk. The mechanic said I should trade the truck in. This dealer fixed it, without a new engine, and under warranty... Thats what drew me to them. They always fixed my truck and was reasonable. Oh and BTW, the truck has been running like a top for the last three years.

Last year we looked at a car for my wife. I really hate car shopping because it ends up with me in the dealer for hours trading punches with a car salesman. Well at this place, since I liked the service I gave them a chance. We looked at a few things, but eventually bought a 2010 Taurus SHO with an X-Plan pin that I got from a guy I met in the Army. We love the car. It's sweet and it's a rocket.

I decided to give them my repeat business with ordering a new Harley Davidson truck. The F350 HD is a little big and with all the snow it's hard to park in parking lots. I've actually gotten stuck in parking lots because of where I parked. So I joined USAA, got a price and went to a few dealers. I went to the guy I bought the Taurus from and he gave me less than the ZAG price, and pretty close to what I wanted for the trade... And he said "don't worry about milage on the trade."

I have to go this weekend for the status on the order, it's been three weeks. Hopefully I can get some tracking numbers. I'd love to pick it up in time to get the 0%

Baystate Ford in Easton Massachusetts is by far my best car buying experience!

I tried the USAA route, but the dealer (Ford Lincoln Mercury of Slidell) never got back to me. I figure if a company gives you a hot lead and you don't do anything with it, you don't want to sell cars.

The dealership I am buying from I had no plans of ever buying anything there. About a year ago we drove there, because the wife was comparing a Explorer Sport Trac and an F-150. They were the only dealer with a Sport Trac. We parked in front of the building and walked the whole lot. Found the Sport Trac and waited there for a few seconds for the salesperson. Nobody came out. We then walked back to the building and walked the entire inside of the building looking for brochures. Nobody stopped their conversations with other salespeople to help. I loudly told the wife that since we had been on the lot for almost 10 minutes and nobody wanted to help us I'm taking my money elsewhere. Once I got home I shot e-mails to the sales manager of the dealership and corporate Ford. I expressed my extreme displeasure that I had not received a dividend dispersement in two or three years and I can't help but believe it is because of the extremely poor customer service of dealerships like the one I had just visited. I went back to the dealership in January not planning on buying my truck from them. I entered the parking lot in front of the building and drove to the end where the trucks were. I wasn't even out of my car before the salesman was half way to me. He was polite, professional and not pushy at all. I can't even get five feet in the building before I have someone offering help.

I realize sales is a tough business, but every contact has to be treated a a possible sale. Referral contacts especially need that treatment. Not only is the sales person dealing with the person in front of them they are dealing with the person who referred them. When someone goes to a website, builds the vehicle they want, and are referred, I would think that would be the easiest sale a person can make. The person already has a good idea of what they want and what it costs.

Edited by 1depd

I had a similar experience with Framinghom Ford while looking for the truck I eventually ordered.

I was looking for a dealer that had a Harley Davidson truck so I could look at it, and take it for a test drive before i decided on it. Really I didn't care if I drove the Harley truck, I just wanted to drive one with a 6.2 so I could see what it was like.

One of the USAA dealers told me several dealers who had them (not many), so I went to Framingham Ford.

Now, mind you... I'm driving a 2004 Harley Davidson F-350 Diesel, which is a pretty high end truck.

I drove right to the Harley Truck, looked at it for 10 minutes with my wife, saw salesmen walking back and forth in the windows (2nd floor), but none would come out to talk with me. I guess a guy who drives up in an old truck, looking at the same thing but smaller isn't really a sales prospect.

I drove up to the front of the building, and looked up to the salesmen sitting in the window like they were on the front porch of a plantation, and waved at them as I drove off the lot. They waved back.

Then I went to Baystate Ford to order my truck.

There is such a thing as being low pressure, but you should always greet the customer and offer assistance even if they tell you that they are just looking.

JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

bpm, shop around its amazing the differences in prices the dealers will give you. I went to a dealer close to my house, looking to order an FX2, sticker 38+, best deal was 37 and he was acting like he was giving me his first born with the deal.

Do your research and get multiple quotes. For my FX2 that I ordered, invoice was the best out the door price from a few dealers.

Internet picing is not all it's cracked up to be. My experience is to determine the best price you could reasonably expect, and then go to the dealers (internet or in person). Let them negotiate from your price. They'll also realize you're an educated buyer (always good).

Thanks

Build one at carsdirect.com and use it as a hammer. If they won't budge just order it through carsdirect.com