Any Merkur Love?

So I still have a Merkur XR4Ti that is my sunny day car. Lately, I get more comments like, "Hey is that one of those Merkurs?" I have had an XR sisnce 1986, and all of a sudden its turning heads! Anybody else notice this?

Used to be a Scorpio in town. That was a sharp car even though it was turd brown.

• 2 weeks later...

post-2557-0-68779100-1301231049_thumb.jpgpost-2557-0-56544000-1301230950_thumb.jpg

I feel the love..... :wub:

I drive one "almost daily"...weather permitting (no rain, snow, etc). I actually bought this one in Knoxville about 6-7 years ago. It's a Strato Silver 1989 Scorpio.

I also have a Diamond White 1989 Scorpio that my wife and I purchased in 1992 as an off-lease car, so technically we're the "first titled" owners. That still has less than 92k and has been "show only" for over 10 years.

As I say, Merkurs are like rabbits.....

I also have another 5 Scorpios and 2 XR4Ti's.

If you have the Merkur fever, join the Merkur Club and drive up to Carlisle PA, June 3-5, 2011 for the All Ford Nationals, the official annual gathering of Merkurs! Last year we had OVER 160 Merk's there! :beerchug:

Edited by QuickFords

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the Scorpio. I remember it had some really nice features including reclining back seats. It had a smaller V6; IIRC it was the German 2.8L - not a screamer but smooth. The styling was unique in a very good, but not great way.

• 2 years later...

I loved my Rosso Red '86 XR4Ti until it reached 72K miles and the manual tranny gave up the ghost. It was a lease car so I just gave in back rather than spend the exciting sums necessary to have a new unit shipped from Germany. It was a super fun car to drive and it turned heads even in '86. I remember a particularly fun 110 miles on I-80 in PA whilst on a trip from the Northeast to Illinois running side-by-side with a Mercedes at 105 mph to entire time. The car was smooth as glass. Fond memories...