Lincoln Tops J.D. Power Dependability Survey

Bu...Bu...Bu...but Lincoln is a damaged brand....

Bu...bu...bu...but Lincoln is only a tarted up Ford...

Bu...bu...bu...but Lincoln doesn't sell well....

Bu...bu...bu...but Lincoln is a has been....

These results really do nothing to dispute those claims.

• Like 1

From what I understand, the JD Power Dependability survey is downright retarted to a point...a big reason Mini ranks so low is that people complain about the size of cup holders etc etc..its not really a good indicatior IMO of car relaitibltiy. Also the results seemed skqued against smaller makes that only have a couple cars they produce, which normally rate at the bottom (like Hummer when they where around)

• Like 1

This is great to see.

BUT: The JD Powers surveys are a joke. if you have filled them out you know why i say that:

1. The vast majority that fill these surveys out have no basic understanding of what is a real problem, versus what is not.

2. To properly fill these surveys out takes a lot of time, very few will spend an hour filling out a form like this. To adress this Powers sends you $1 an an incentive to fill it out.

Having said that Ford has made major strides and things like this do nothing but help the cause.

• Like 1

2. To properly fill these surveys out takes a lot of time, very few will spend an hour filling out a form like this. To adress this Powers sends you $1 an an incentive to fill it out.

A fresh, crisp $1 bill at that! :hysterical:

Yes, the consumers who receive JD Power IQS and VDS forms will have to devote some time and effort to fill it out properly (it took me about 35 minutes for the IQS I received last year). But the methodologies employed by both surveys are sound overall. If they weren't, OEMs wouldn't spend the substantial sums they do to purchase survey results, and The McGraw-Hill Companies would not have acquired JD Power back in 2005.

Yes. In many cases there is a problem...with the customer. And no, the customer isn't always right.

Rule #1: The customer is always right.

Rule #2: If the customer is ever wrong, re-read Rule #1.

Rule #3 (according to Seth Godin): If the customer is wrong, they're not your customer any more.

Edited by aneekr

Rule #1: The customer is always right.

Rule #2: If the customer is ever wrong, re-read Rule #1.

Rule #3 (according to Seth Godin): If the customer is wrong, they're not your customer any more.

So I would be right to complain that my Edge doesn't get 40 MPG? No. Of course, you don't tell the customer he/she is wrong, but that doesn't mean they aren't.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 2

So I would be right to complain that my Edge doesn't get 40 MPG?

You would be right, and it's definitely your right to express that particular complaint. If Ford Motor Company or the seller of your Ford Edge treat you - the customer - as if you were wrong, the outcomes would be:

* You will refuse to do business with FoMoCo or the seller of Ford products, and probably tell others to do the same;

* FoMoCo or the seller will "fire" you as a customer if it's not worth it to them to make you right.

Godin explains this concept here.

Yes. In many cases there is a problem...with the customer. And no, the customer isn't always right.

That's why you work with computers, right?

It's like this: If the customer thinks there's a problem, there's a problem. The question is whether it's practical to solve that problem.

In your example, 'I wish my Edge got 40mpg' is a problem, but it's not one that Ford can practically solve. Therefore, that problem is ignored.

Or if addressing a customer complaint would lead to a significant increase in complaints from other customers: "I think the console cupholders should be replaced with a storage bin. I don't drink in my car, and I don't think anyone else should either." That problem can't be practically solved, because it would create problems for many many more customers.

The customer may not always be right, but you definitely need to know what your customers' problems are.

Bu...Bu...Bu...but Lincoln is a damaged brand....

Bu...bu...bu...but Lincoln is only a tarted up Ford...

Bu...bu...bu...but Lincoln doesn't sell well....

Bu...bu...bu...but Lincoln is a has been....

One conclusion that can be drawn from this survey with Lincoln at least.....there is no correlation between dependability score and sales. if you like light traffic and no wait time, visit a Lincoln dealer showroom. No wonder they get better score than Ford which is a busy place.

The customer may not always be right, but you definitely need to know what your customers' problems are.

That I can agree with. You need to know what the customer is complaining about, but only so far as to either address the complaint as a legitimate problem or to file it under "go sit on a pole"...

• Like 1

That's why you work with computers, right?

It's like this: If the customer thinks there's a problem, there's a problem. The question is whether it's practical to solve that problem.

In your example, 'I wish my Edge got 40mpg' is a problem, but it's not one that Ford can practically solve. Therefore, that problem is ignored.

Or if addressing a customer complaint would lead to a significant increase in complaints from other customers: "I think the console cupholders should be replaced with a storage bin. I don't drink in my car, and I don't think anyone else should either." That problem can't be practically solved, because it would create problems for many many more customers.

Reminds me of the M.D. Doc who returned his Durango to local Dodge dealer on lease with a "thrashy" engine. Service checked it out, and found oil way down and very dirty as in no oil changes in 30,000 miles of driving. Service informed him that he would have to pay for new engine. The Doc went ballistic and threatened to sue over what he called a "defective" engine. Oh, it's so fun to deal with the public. I see so many abused vehicles on road...must be lots of fun when they come in with their complaints. I know I have leased a couple Tauruses in past and my salesman used to tell me the horror stories of leased vehicles returned and how customers went ballistic when they were informed they would have to pay extra out of pocket. Many were returned looking like garbage cans inside and outside not much better.

• Like 1

I doubt there is any correlation there either.

:yup:

In the JD Power 2011 CSI survey for dealer service experience, Lincoln was outranked by some brands that sold more vehicles (and that presumably have busier dealer service departments), and others that sold fewer.

2011019-1.jpg