Union boss: Ford CEO's pay 'morally wrong'

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is Mulallys' pay "morally wrong"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Shut up Mr King!

Negotiation tactic.

Here's your negotiation tactic.

"If they don't restore everything [union workers] gave up, the membership is going to knock it down. The bonuses that were just announced are just ridiculous," said UAW Local 900 Plant Chairman Bill Johnson at a Ford Focus plant in Wayne, Mich.

Count me as the (currently) only "no" vote. There is no morality in fulfillment of a contract.

Edited by RangerM
  • Like 1

One vote for "Shut Up, Mr King!" here.

If employees think that their boss's pay is so high that its "morally wrong," they're free to take their talents to a corporation that fits their personal views. Nobody's forcing them to stay at Ford.

Agreed 100000%!! I just don't get that about folks. Let's bitch about what they make and how they make more than me, but yet I don't have the skills or the drive or the desire to do what they do. He's a 1 in a million (or more) talent!

• Like 2

seriously wtf? im pro union. i was part of one, my soon to be wife is a member of a union... but this is ridiculous. would the pay be "morally wrong" if somehow they agreed to pay union members that much?

i feel like mr. king is hurting the hard working people of the UAW more than he is helping them. curious to see if pioneer or other union members like him? i like that he will go to bat for his constituents but maybe it would be more effective in private?

• Like 2

There are maybe 5 CEO's in the world, that could have accomplished what Alan has accomplished. If he would have failed, Ford Motor Company would have failed. How many people in the world can do an autoworkers job?? If an autoworker fails at his job, they replace a part and life goes on.

BTW, maybe it is just me, but union folk sure do complain alot, about people knowing and commenting on what they make................... yet, the union itself, and many of the members, know and complain about what Mulally and Ford Jr make. I think that is known as hypocrisy.

Stock OPTIONS people. He was given stock options....................... that could have been worth nothing. Also, if noone remembers, Bill Ford Jr did not take any salary, until Ford was profitable. As a name on the company, he put his money where his mouth was. Mulally has turned Ford around in much greater fashion than anyone could have deemed possible. All, while being a non egotistical everyman. That is a very rare quality.

Here is to hoping for many more huge stock option bonus's for the executives......................... as this will mean that Ford Motor Company is doing extremely well.

• Like 4

There are maybe 5 CEO's in the world, that could have accomplished what Alan has accomplished. If he would have failed, Ford Motor Company would have failed. How many people in the world can do an autoworkers job?? If an autoworker fails at his job, they replace a part and life goes on.

BTW, maybe it is just me, but union folk sure do complain alot, about people knowing and commenting on what they make................... yet, the union itself, and many of the members, know and complain about what Mulally and Ford Jr make. I think that is known as hypocrisy.

Stock OPTIONS people. He was given stock options....................... that could have been worth nothing. Also, if noone remembers, Bill Ford Jr did not take any salary, until Ford was profitable. As a name on the company, he put his money where his mouth was. Mulally has turned Ford around in much greater fashion than anyone could have deemed possible. All, while being a non egotistical everyman. That is a very rare quality.

Here is to hoping for many more huge stock option bonus's for the executives......................... as this will mean that Ford Motor Company is doing extremely well.

Thanks, Gloria! I swear you must keep a similar response copied to your clipboard to fend off the foamers over at GMI. :shades:

That one guy just got my goat, with his ridiculous assumptions. Frankly, some of the rhetoric that comes out of that site just makes me shake my head and laugh. If I don't have something to say, that I think is a good thing to say on the subject, I keep my mouth shut. To sit there and spout off that Mulally is just one of the money grabbing, garbage, do-nothing, elitist CEO's that hasn't proven anything to anyone, is so out there, that I almost couldn't believe what I read. That he posted more gibberish afterword is even more astonishing.

On that note, I find the information about the new GM DCT under development to be interesting. When out, it will be the only way to make an auto, and all other types will be stupid. Ford having it out already is shortsighted and troublesome, and is trying to hasten the end of manual transmissions as we know it. LOL

Sorry. I digress.

I cannot take credit for the 1 in 5 thing, however. Wescoent said something akin to this, a long time ago. I just remembered. :)

BTW, I don't copy anything. It is all in my twisted little mind. LOL

Edited by Extreme4x4

It sounds like the union boss is jealous!!! I do agree that the timing was not very good, and Ford should have waited until after they had completed paying off all of the debts!

It wasn't really Ford's decision. They were Mulally's stock options to do with as he pleased. He opted to sell them.

• Like 1

CNN Money article

I usually defend the union, but this is an instance where the UAW President needs to check his tongue at the door....I firmly believe that had Mr Mulally not come on board at Ford Motor Company, Ford would have been dragged down by the collapse of GM and Chrysler....in my view, he is worth every penny he earns.

My first impression on Bob's talk is he must be mentally wrong

• Like 1

It sounds like the union boss is jealous!!! I do agree that the timing was not very good, and Ford should have waited until after they had completed paying off all of the debts!

Actually Union boss's salary is pretty high, I mean "immorally high". He is just a political man and he earns much more then most of the congressmen earn.

Edited by weiweishen

Mr. King's mouth and attitude will cost the UAW a lot of support. He is not what the UAW, or any union, needs at this time. The economy has recovered a little, but not near enough for him to start demanding things like they did in more positive times. Another bad turn in the economy will put the auto companies back in trouble, and this time polling indicates that voters will not allow more bailouts. Members of congress realize this and will not give more to save the companies from their own excess and poor decisions.

• Like 1

Mr. King's mouth and attitude will cost the UAW a lot of support. He is not what the UAW, or any union, needs at this time. The economy has recovered a little, but not near enough for him to start demanding things like they did in more positive times. Another bad turn in the economy will put the auto companies back in trouble, and this time polling indicates that voters will not allow more bailouts. Members of congress realize this and will not give more to save the companies from their own excess and poor decisions.

Actually the campaign for 2012 presidential election will start at the end of this year. Let's see if the action of bailout for GM and Chrysler will give any positive support to Obama.

First things first, Mulally earned that bonus by keeping the company afloat during one of the worst downturns in the history of the auto industry. How many CEOs could have pulled off the same thing? You deserve to get paid for your value, and his value is obviously high.

Secondly, anybody that thinks the skies have cleared is nuts, the economy still needs a lot of work.

• Like 1

I agree...King's inflammatory rhetoric is not helping and he needs to go to Gettelfinger PR school soon if not yesterday. He was on our local Fox News channel the other day going toe to toe with a local newscaster and he completely lost his cool with both just talking over each other. Gettelfinger never did that. In the meantime, Ford management picked a poor time to announce huge compensation packages for its executives, particularly Mulally, when UAW contract negotiations are so near. Some analysts are predicting Mulally will walk away from Ford with compensation package worth upwards of $650 million. More fuel for King and his big mouth. King can now toss more grenades.

First things first, Mulally earned that bonus by keeping the company afloat during one of the worst downturns in the history of the auto industry. How many CEOs could have pulled off the same thing? You deserve to get paid for your value, and his value is obviously high.

Secondly, anybody that thinks the skies have cleared is nuts, the economy still needs a lot of work.

Try a third war we are entering as in shooting off hundreds of multi million dollar cruise missiles, crashing $70 million F-15's, escalating gas prices, signs of ruinous inflation returning, moribund housing market that is arguably worsening, destroyed Japanese infrastructure plus 20,000 lives lost, and continued European debt crisis. Also add in fact that if we do go into double dip recession, there is no more money for anymore big stimulus packages. Sobered up yet? With all that being said, I do think things will quiet down a little as year progresses, or I at least hope. Add in Rick Snyder's surprises for state of MI and 2011 is shaping up at least so far as very tumultuous year. Staring to look like the 60's again with so many taking to the streets to protest. Maybe American middle class has finally had it and social disorder will be making comeback.