Commentary: King's Comments Unjustified, Damaging

bob-king-uawjpg-d7ebc51a9f1517f9_large.jpg

Isn't America wonderful? Not to get too deep into sappy patriotism, but how many other places on earth can you be born into a culture that places no limits on your ultimate success? The American dream, as cliche and romanticized as it may be, is still a very real opportunity: The only thing limiting the amount of prosperity one can amass is their own drive and determination.

Since we live in a culture that embraces entrepreneurship and ingenuity, it is very troubling to me to see UAW's chief publicly blast Ford CEO Alan Mulally's pay as being "morally wrong."

Before we go any further, let me get one thing straight: I hate discussing union issues. In fact, getting into a union argument lies somewhere between visiting the proctologist and giving a sponge bath to Bea Arthur in the list of things I avoid at all costs. I'm not decidedly anti-union, but I wouldn't label myself as pro-union either. I can argue both sides, but generally try to avoid talking about it at all.

Let's hop in the DeLorean and travel back a few years, if we may. The year is 2008. The housing bubble has burst, the Great Recession is in full swing, and the CEO's of Detroit's Big Three were called before Congress, hat in hand, to beg for money and receive their public lashings. The once great American automakers were on the verge of insolvency, bleeding cash, and marching towards bankruptcy.

Continued at link

Sounds a little one sided to me. I am not pissed about Mr.M getting a bonus for being a big part in what we ALL accomplished. Sounds like that person forgot all of the sacrafices that were made by the UAW.

Certainly didn't mean for it to sound one sided (it's my blog :shades: ), and the commentary was directed squarely at Mr. King's comments. I appreciate the feedback! :beerchug:

• Like 2

Sounds a little one sided to me. I am not pissed about Mr.M getting a bonus for being a big part in what we ALL accomplished. Sounds like that person forgot all of the sacrafices that were made by the UAW.

what sacrifice was that?

Be competitve with the non-union automakers or face closure. Sounds to me like to took the pay cut to save your own job, not Ford's future.

• Like 4

Keep thinking that way. :hysterical:

Your own organization recently told ford that all production jobs were worth $14 an hour but the people staffing those jobs make $28 an hour.

I guess you'll be sacrificing when you hit 13.99 an hour.

At least the uaw folks at gm and chrysler were smart enough to say only certain jobs were worth $14 an hour, you folks said all production jobs were worth $14 an hour.

Why do UAW workers not save money? They think they are entitled to boats, 3rd cars, 2nd homes and bling, and expect liftetime pay. Are they in the Military? Doctors? Police?

Wake up and compete, don't sit around expecting pay just because you are a relative, buddy, or in-law of a UAW worker.

• Like 2

Why do UAW workers not save money? They think they are entitled to boats, 3rd cars, 2nd homes and bling, and expect liftetime pay. Are they in the Military? Doctors? Police?

This comment shows your ignorance.

Who said UAW workers do not save money? You would be surprised at how smart some of these "Greedy low lifes"(as your trying to say) are.

Here is the"Bare Knuckle, Unvarnished, High Octane, Truth" from the Autoextremest, Peter M. De Lorenzo:

Autoextremest

"...But then again the word "reality" has never been attached to the UAW in its modern era, not even close in fact. With membership dwindling and the tide turning against the radically entitled mentality that has been its raison d'etre for years (and which was directly responsible for the downfall of the U.S. automobile industry), the denizens of the UAW's Solidarity House still don't get it. They not only don't get it, they can't even begin to bring themselves to admit that their much-ballyhooed union is in its death throes, a casualty of their own serial incompetence and horribly warped view of the world..."
Edited by mettech
  • Like 1