Ford Issues Public Statement on Paint Material Supply Issues

Vash

Ford has issued a public statement on the paint situation:

Ford spokesman Todd Nissen confirmed the auto maker sent the note Thursday as a precautionary measure concerning metallic paints.

"There is a pigment, called xirallic, that is running low in supply," Mr. Nissen said. "While we can fill current orders we have asked dealers not to take new orders for certain types of paints."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704604704576221063826457774.html?ru=yahoo&mod=yahoo_hs

Based on the Parts Shortage Thread in the Ford Employee Section here, it appears that new suppliers are already coming online, but it probably takes time for those suppliers to ramp up their production if necessary and deliver the product.

So does that mean the trucks currently being produced in tuxedo black will not be affected but anything after will? Mine is currently in production so I am curious to know if it will be set back....if so that really suuuuucks!

So does that mean the trucks currently being produced in tuxedo black will not be affected but anything after will? Mine is currently in production so I am curious to know if it will be set back....if so that really suuuuucks!

The article says current orders are ok but they don't want any new orders.

Based on different sources of information, I'm not quite sure what all this means.

I know for sure that vehicles that have already been given a VIN and scheduled for production will NOT be affected and if you haven't yet placed your order for a vehicle in an affected color then you won't be able to until the ban on those vehicle orders it lifted by Ford.

That's not to say some dealers will try to lie and state that they placed the order when they really only entered it into the system without submitting it or set it to a status that indicates not to build.

What I am unsure about is whether all current orders will be processed on schedule if they do NOT have a VIN. That is because in the email sent to dealers it was stated that Ford put a hold on scheduling any vehicles with affected colors until further notice.

My 2011 Raptor was ordered 28 FEB 2011, but I have not been given a VIN and I don't know if that will be delayed due to this supply issue. I'll just have to wait and see unless more information is released. I did submit an inquiry to my dealer this AM. I'll update this thread if I find anything else or maybe someone with more inside information will post up here or in the Parts Shortage thread in the Ford Employee Section.

Edited by Vash

More info that I found over at FordRaptorForum.com

To: All Ford and Lincoln Dealers Subject: EFC00184DC UPDATE - Supply Chain - Balance Out Paints Background

The devastating situation in Japan has resulted in a supply chain issue that will disrupt the supply of pigments for some of our vehicle paints. We understand this will affect other automotive manufacturers and other industries as well.

The purpose of this communication is to provide the scheduling timing of early balance out paints and a summary of actions planned to manage through this mid-year change.

Additional paint colors may be affected in the coming weeks - this communication addresses near term issues only. Updates will be provided to the dealers via normal communication channels (e.g. Weekly Commodity Letter and Order Scheduling Notes from Field Scheduler and EDCs).

Vehicle Production Impact

We do not expect to have any production losses as a result of this situation.

Vehicle Scheduling Impact

Below is a recap of early balance-out paint timing:

** Retail Scheduling will continue until paint is exhausted

Other Actions To Be Taken

Spec Changes to scheduled F150 stock orders at Dearborn with Tuxedo Black paint

~500 F150 stock orders will be changed from Tuxedo Black to Silver (details and timing will be provided soon)

Additional scheduled orders may need to be spec changed at a future date based on actual paint availability as each plant balances out paints

CONCEPS will not prohibit dealers from entering an order containing these Balanced Out paints – but will be updated to contain an informational "Balance Out" message for all impacted paints.

2011 MY Order Guides for most vehicles will remain the same.

2012 MY Order Guides will be updated to include any new paints added in the future.

A team has been put together to identify which consumer facing materials (brochures, websites, advertisements, etc.) need to be updated.

Dealer Actions Required

Ensure all sales personnel are informed of the changes and work with their customers to manage expectations as they would during any Balance-Out situation.

This is a very fluid situation and is subject to change at any time. We will provide additional details as soon as they are available. It is important to remember that we still have a significant number of vehicles in dealer stock and in the system available for sale to retail customers.

Copyright 2011 Ford Motor Company

I have an "unscheduled" order (black Raptor) dating back to earlier February. My biggest concern is that the paint situation gets worse and a color change is mandatory. In my case, a have a Leer cap already ordered. I need to decide whether to cancel the Leer order (if possible) until the paint situation become more clear.

Details on the cause of the shortage:

"Problem is that Xirallic is produced at only one factory in the world — the Onahama plant near the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power station in Japan.

Phyllis Carter. Onahama is located about 130 miles northeast of Tokyo and about 35 miles south of the stricken Fukashjima reactor. The Japanese government has told residents within about 20 miles of the reactor to evacuate.

Merck KGaA, sole producer of a paint pigment for automakers such as Ford Motor Co. (F), cannot operate its Japanese factory because it is too close to the nuclear reactor crippled by the earthquake and tsunami.

Merck’s Onahama factory, which produces the metallic paint pigment Xirallic, will take four to eight weeks to restart once company engineers can gain access to the facility, Gangolf Schrimpf, a company spokesman, said."....

Until they get that Nuke plant stable, availability of this pigment is going to be an issue.

Details on the cause of the shortage:

"Problem is that Xirallic is produced at only one factory in the world — the Onahama plant near the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power station in Japan.

Phyllis Carter. Onahama is located about 130 miles northeast of Tokyo and about 35 miles south of the stricken Fukashjima reactor. The Japanese government has told residents within about 20 miles of the reactor to evacuate.

Merck KGaA, sole producer of a paint pigment for automakers such as Ford Motor Co. (F), cannot operate its Japanese factory because it is too close to the nuclear reactor crippled by the earthquake and tsunami.

Merck's Onahama factory, which produces the metallic paint pigment Xirallic, will take four to eight weeks to restart once company engineers can gain access to the facility, Gangolf Schrimpf, a company spokesman, said."....

Until they get that Nuke plant stable, availability of this pigment is going to be an issue.

Thanks for the info. Any updates on this are greatly appreciated. Do you have a source link or where did this info come from?

That article give some hope. My order has been in for a month. I figured I'd get screwed because it hadn't been pulled yet, but the article makes it sound like I've still got a shot.

Not counting on anything until I get a VIN and even then dates are subject to change. I think I'm past the venting stage and now just taking a wait and see approach. Sorry if that sounds like a nuclear reactor. No pun intended. Lol.

That article give some hope. My order has been in for a month. I figured I'd get screwed because it hadn't been pulled yet, but the article makes it sound like I've still got a shot.

Not counting on anything until I get a VIN and even then dates are subject to change. I think I'm past the venting stage and now just taking a wait and see approach. Sorry if that sounds like a nuclear reactor. No pun intended. Lol.

I'm in the same boat, but with an order closer to two months. In past due to dealer allocation. The dealer still expects it to be build (black), but probable a few weeks later than if I changed the color.

Forgot to say that I hate it when they use non-absolute terms like "a little longer". Who knows what that means to Ford? Could be a week longer or it could push the average wait for a Raptor from 11 weeks to 16 or 18. Who knows. Just have to wait and see though. Hopefully Ford is pretty transparent with this issue as much as practical.

First projected timeframe I've seen regarding getting the German owned Japanese plant up and running again:

Company spokeswoman Phyllis Carter said production won't resume for four to eight weeks, depending on the availability of infrastructure and utilities.

http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/Damage_To_Japanese_Paint_Plant_Will_Limit_Vehicle-Color_Choices_118788309.html?ref=309

I am one of the lucky ones who just had a truck built, this past weekend, with one of the affected colors (Candy Red)

I had a horrible thought on the way to work today that I hope to never have to worry about.

What happens down the road if someone with one of these colors has an accident and the production hasn't come back? Do they keep enough in inventory to supply the after-market auto body industry?

Edited by lakeguy