The Return of the A-Pillar Rattle

Well it was too good to be true. The reported A-Pillar rattle was supposedly an early-build issue that was addressed by the plant. I took delivery of my Limited Ex that was built in mid-February and, gratifyingly, there was no rattle.

2,300 miles and month and a half in, the rattle has begun. It follows the usual pattern - highway speeds with crosswind sets up a vibration in the A-Pillar applique (the glossy black trim piece) that sounds like a bumble-bee. Frikin' annoying!

Feedback from Ford says that this can happen to any 2011 Explorer if the trim piece is not installed correctly. I call BS on this. My Ex did not have it - now it does. Obviously the trim applique can work loose and begin to vibrate.

A long-term fix is needed. Taping off the gap between the applique and the the rubber windshield moulding is not an acceptable repair.

Beware all....

Edited by scottfmcc

Latest word is that the windshield installation process can create a hairline crack in the A-Pillar applique. This crack compromises the part and can get worse over time. Supposedly plant is aware, but installer error means this is going to be an issue in some units on an ongoing basis (until redesigned I guess).

I have a replacement part on back-order at a local dealer (along with a few other folks at the same dealer apparently). Should be a couple weeks to get the new part. Will also update MFT from 2.4 to 2.7 at same time.

• 2 weeks later...

so this is able to be fixed? by ordering a new part? are they paying for it, dealer? or is it out of pocket?

I'd assume it should be covered under warranty, as it's a vehicle defect.

But of course, who knows when he'll get his part. As I'm sure they are using these parts for new unsold units. And since he's already signed on the dotted line, he goes to the end of the line for a replacement part.

How could it possibly be out of pocket?

I am bringing mine in on Thursday. There is already an service announcement with regards to this issue. Others have had theirs fixed under warranty. Here are the parts required to fix it. These replace the flimsy gasket around the windshield. Some dealers are trying to get away with using two sided tape. Don't think that will work. I'll update here once I bring my Ex in to get serviced. They are also looking at my drivers side door which needs some adjusting and the rear hatch which needs adjusting as well.

Parts

SPO BB5Z 7803137 AA, SPO BB5Z 7803137 BA, SPO BB5Z 7803136 AA, and SPO BB5Z 7803136 BA, all listed as moulding windshield

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big windy weekend. I've been aware of the A-pillar problem being out there from reading the various forums. Is the rattle a fairly obvious sound -- versus just normal wind and road sounds when you are going 50 - 70 mph along the highway?

Just curious...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I need help with this rattle situation on my 2011 Ford Ltd. Explorer. Mine has been making this sound when on the interstate with speeds anywhere from 40 to 80 MPH. However, it does seem to be worse when the wind is quite strong. If the wind is blowing at all, the rattle is just a lot louder. If there is no wind at all, there is still this rattle. Is there a way to see if there is a fix for my vehicle using my VIN #? That VIN # is 1FMHK7F83BGA83318.

• 1 month later...

I need help with this rattle situation on my 2011 Ford Ltd. Explorer. Mine has been making this sound when on the interstate with speeds anywhere from 40 to 80 MPH. However, it does seem to be worse when the wind is quite strong. If the wind is blowing at all, the rattle is just a lot louder. If there is no wind at all, there is still this rattle. Is there a way to see if there is a fix for my vehicle using my VIN #? That VIN # is 1FMHK7F83BGA83318.

I have a 2012 model, and can report that I have the A-pillar rattle as well. I was wondering what that noise was in winds and at highway speeds. Guess I'll have to get the fix as well.

• 2 months later...

I've got an '11 Explorer Limited and I had to have the A-pillar trim replaced right away as it was warped when I got it. The weird thing was that they replaced it when I had an oil change done but the second one was literally just as bad. I figured that they didn't replace it because they were waiting for a part on a new vehicle and there was a delay. A month later I called to learn the status of the part order and I found out they had in fact replaced it. I brought it back in and the service rep was amazed that his guy installed the newer one since it was clearly as warped as the first. A week later a third one came in and it was fine so it was installed. The interior was nice and tight and never rattled for the first 10k or so miles.

Then at about 11k miles, I began hearing a buzz/rattle from the passenger side of the top of the dash/windshield area any time I hit a blemish in the road. I can't pin it down by pressing on anything when it's occurring. A couple of weeks ago at 14K, I began hearing a different kind of rattle on the driver's side of the dash. Between these issues and the tempermental MyFord Touch system, I'm having some regrets and I don't like this feeling at all. I've read that you should never buy the first model year of a vehicle but figured that was an old man's way of thinking especially since Ford's quality has improved so much and the Explorer is based on a platform that has been around for several years at Ford and Volvo before it. But now I'm wondering despite my years as a Ford Man. I didn't think I'd find myself saying this at first, but maybe I should've looked more seriously at the Durango. It's also a first year vehicle but it's also based on a modified existing platform.

.......... Between these issues and the tempermental MyFord Touch system, I'm having some regrets and I don't like this feeling at all. .........

Ford came out with an improved version of the MFT. Any owner who have the older version of the MFT can have a free upgrade. You might want to look into it. The new MFT was reported mostly trouble free.

Ford came out with an improved version of the MFT. Any owner who have the older version of the MFT can have a free upgrade. You might want to look into it. The new MFT was reported mostly trouble free.

It fixed some vehicles but made others worse. Probably best to wait for the new version due in the next month or two.

• 1 month later...

My local dealership replaced both driver and passenger side A-pillar trim last week under TSB 12-1-11.

They also mentioned adding some type of padding/foam/insulation (don't remember exactly what they said it was) behind the front bumper. They said that Ford had determined that wind related noise behind/around the front bumper could translate to a rattle sound around the windshield area.

I haven't driven on the interstate (at speed) or had any significant cross wind since so I can't comment on the effectiveness of either fixes.

My local dealership replaced both driver and passenger side A-pillar trim last week under TSB 12-1-11.

They also mentioned adding some type of padding/foam/insulation (don't remember exactly what they said it was) behind the front bumper. They said that Ford had determined that wind related noise behind/around the front bumper could translate to a rattle sound around the windshield area.

I haven't driven on the interstate (at speed) or had any significant cross wind since so I can't comment on the effectiveness of either fixes.

I took a closer look and is appears that they added foam and/or foam sealant (spray type) right below the bottom of the radiator. I think the idea is to prevent the plastic tray directly below the radiator from rattling against the bottom of the radiator.

• 5 months later...

Don't know if this will help anyone. I have a 2011 Edge with a very similar problem. The dealership and I have been trying to determine if it is "A-pillar" related but can not isolate it. One day i was under the car running a wire for trailer lighting and noticed that one of the little plastic buttons that holds the fender well to the body was loose. When i tapped on it, it made a loud noise. I also found one button up more in side the fender well that was loose and rattling. I tried to push them in tight to no avail. I finally pulled them both out, put duct tape in their place. I was not very optomistic, but i went out in a good Texas cross wind, went every direction possible, even going 80mph and no rattle. Couple of days ago i stopped by the dealership and had them replace duct tape with new plastic buttons and now my irritating buzz/rattle is gone. The noise sounded like it was coming from higher up in the vehicle but i suppose the noise carried up into the entire fender well. Maybe this will help someone.

Darrell G.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey all! I haven't been on here in a long time. Figured since this thread is still here, I'd ask this question. Who has had the most A-pillar moldings replaced? I'm waiting for the dealer to call me upon the arrival of what will be my eighth new one, not counting the ones from the factory.