2011 X Rear Bumper Protector Needed?

my dealer highly recommended it for resale value, he put it on no charge, it's $55 dealer cost. Looks good imo, & it also provided non slip footing for loading a roof rack if you have one.

Thanks for the feedback, I did not even think of the slip factor when trying to load the roof rack. It seems like a good investment especially since the Black paint maybe come a commodity soon. LOL

my dealer highly recommended it for resale value, he put it on no charge, it's $55 dealer cost. Looks good imo, & it also provided non slip footing for loading a roof rack if you have one.

Not sure how you meant "dealer cost".. if you meant it's what the dealer pays, that's incorrect, $55 is retail price. If you meant that dealer cost is what they are charging the customer, then forget what I just posted.

Not sure how you meant "dealer cost".. if you meant it's what the dealer pays, that's incorrect, $55 is retail price. If you meant that dealer cost is what they are charging the customer, then forget what I just posted.

You can also get them on Ebay for 49.95 + 10 shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-11-Explorer-Genuine-Ford-OEM-Rear-Bumper-Protector-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2561e52fa1QQitemZ160556199841QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I get a dealer employee discount at my dealer and I'll check my price when I get a chance. When I compared OEM internet pricing my dealer again beat those prices even without paying shipping.

Sorry, my bad, I had something else in mind @ $90.00 retail. Bumper protector cost is around $50.00 retail, it looks like you could make it for about 10 bucks. :banghead:

Sorry, my bad, I had something else in mind @ $90.00 retail. Bumper protector cost is around $50.00 retail, it looks like you could make it for about 10 bucks. :banghead:

I work in the plastics industry, and trust me, there's less than $2 worth of materials in making that thing..... the big cost comes from the tooling for the injection molding machine.

I confirmed today the cover, part# BB5Z*17B807*A, retails for $55 at the dealer and my cost is $44.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, but you are a genius...I am only a half-wit.

I have to come clean.....the guy who tinted my windows suggested it as he offered to do it for free with his left over material........I never would have thought about it either..... but works like a hot dam!

I plan to cover mine as soon as I get around to it. Even if you never drag something across that surface it is very hard to not scratch it during the car wash/dry process as dirt and grit get sucked into all of the little gaps, etc. on the back of the car (license plate, seams, door handle, etc.). If you miss a speck or two during the wash, then the drying towel grabs it and you pull the towel across that long, flat surface. Well, I can assure you there will be long scratches...

The 3M film is what I will use, just because I like it.

I just got it and put it on yesterday myself. Very straight forward. The protector has a film on both sides and the front of the film (lip) is shaped to the front of the rear bumper (cargo area side) so you basically position it on the bumper and it automatically positions itself in the correct spot, peel the film away and it's on.

I just got it and put it on yesterday myself. Very straight forward. The protector has a film on both sides and the front of the film (lip) is shaped to the front of the rear bumper (cargo area side) so you basically position it on the bumper and it automatically positions itself in the correct spot, peel the film away and it's on.

Agreed. Mine went on smooth w/ only 1 bubble that I removed by puncturing w/ a pin. Looks/works great!

• 1 month later...

Just took delivery of mine. Dealer installed during predelivery of vehicle. Mine has about 100 air bubbles under it, guess dealer doesn't know the correct procedure for installation. It's going back, and if they don't get it right this time, I'll just have to do it myself!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone purchased the rear bumper protector for the 2011 X? Does it really need it? Does it look OK installed or does it look like an after though? I'm a new guy to the forum and any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated?

Yes, I had the dealer install Ford's rear bumper protector on our 2011 Ex. because we have a large dog jumping into the back every day. Also bought the 'trunk liner' to protect both the vehicle and to prevent Fido's legs slipping through the gaps between the folded seats.

Somewhat surprised that Ford did not make the rear bumper protector as part of the standard packege. And yes, it does look better with the protector installed than without.

I plan to cover mine as soon as I get around to it. Even if you never drag something across that surface it is very hard to not scratch it during the car wash/dry process as dirt and grit get sucked into all of the little gaps, etc. on the back of the car (license plate, seams, door handle, etc.). If you miss a speck or two during the wash, then the drying towel grabs it and you pull the towel across that long, flat surface. Well, I can assure you there will be long scratches...

The 3M film is what I will use, just because I like it.

Does the 3M stuff come pre-cut, or how does that work?