Grill Shutters

saltracer

I have heard a rumor that ALL 2012 Focus are coming with the grill shutters. I have also heard they are not.

Does anyone have any info on that?

If not I guess I will have to see if they are available over the parts counter or I may have to visit a boneyard.later.

The dealers here do not have any 2012 mdels yet so I can't even look at one.

Thanks,

Howard :shades:

As I was watching the motor line yesterday, I noticed that NO, not all engines have the shutters. Lower end models do not have.

Yeah, so far, over at another forum I'm on, nobody has reported seeing on w/o them, which I think is where some of that is coming from. I saw one at my dealer, a SE (w/o SFE) built for Missouri that had it (they were using the car to drag around to some dealers here in MI). And every one people have checked over at http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do has said they have them - but we haven't checked that many. I wish they would just say how they determine it...

As I was watching the motor line yesterday, I noticed that NO, not all engines have the shutters. Lower end models do not have.

So how is the line going? I've heard elsewhere that they are up to ~1000veh/day so it sounds like you guys are humming along :shades:

I just can't wait for them to start scheduling Retail orders with MFT. Must keep telling myself "Good things come to those who wait" and "Patience is a virtue"

From: MyFord Focus Live Chat with KC Dallia, Focus Brand Manager(02/25/2011)

[Comment From Mike C. Mike C. : ] in regards to the louvers on the grill moving for air resistance, is that standard or an option? Friday February 25, 2011 11:46 Mike C. 11:47

phpu5IALL12FordFocus_15%5B1%5D_214.jpgspacer.gifKC Dallia: It is not an option per se, but is equipped on a majority of Focus vehicles

So how is the line going? I've heard elsewhere that they are up to ~1000veh/day so it sounds like you guys are humming along :shades:

I just can't wait for them to start scheduling Retail orders with MFT. Must keep telling myself "Good things come to those who wait" and "Patience is a virtue"

Things are getting smoother everyday. Hearing we are getting a parts shortage on the transmission. Have to wait and,see..

Looks like it's just pretty much the "S" version in the non-california or cold weather states that don't get the grill shutters.......so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

You can see in the pics it doesn't have them in this Texas origin "S"....also if it did, they would be closed (black colored) and you wouldn't see the aluminum A/C condenser behind them.

Our dealer just got in a base "SE" today and I will physically check it and report back later.

Edit, under the website posted by emerill above it states for this ebay car:

Less Radiator Shutters

Edited by svtenthusiast

Looks like it's just pretty much the "S" version in the non-california or cold weather states that don't get the grill shutters.......so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

You can see in the pics it doesn't have them in this Texas origin "S"....also if it did, they would be closed (black colored) and you wouldn't see the aluminum A/C condenser behind them.

Our dealer just got in a base "SE" today and I will physically check it and report back later.

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do# confirms that vehicles has no shutters.

Confirmed that a SE sedan with 201A has grill shutters, even watched them close when I turned off the key after driving!

I was very impressed with the crispness of the shifts on the powershift transmission, quietness on the highway, and power output is very adquate for something that gets 38MPG.

Even got 30MPG on my round trip and I was getting on it plenty of times.

Taut handling, flat around corners, amazing for base SE can't imagine what the handling package will do.

Mirrors are plenty big for a car this size, includes the blind spot mirrors even on the basic SE.

Base instrument cluster readout has compass and temperature readout, but is blue greyscale in color. At least you finally get those readouts without having to get the higher trim levels.

Can't wait for mine, at least I finally got to drive one. :shades:

Edited by svtenthusiast

Yes, thank you svtenthusiast for the mini-review. My dealership confirmed delivery of its first SEs. Still no joy on my order being scheduled. I might check back with them end of next week or the following week to see where things stand. I'm thinking it'll be another eight weeks if not more.

Ok, some more data points on grill shutters. I went and saw 12 vehicles at 2 dealers today (in Michigan). All SE and SELs.

All Sedans (they were all SE, none had SFE) had shutters

No SE 5dr had shutters

All SEL 5dr had shutters

did you notice if any of the SE's had the Sport Pkg?

(alloy wheels & 2-tone interior)

Ok, some more data points on grill shutters. I went and saw 12 vehicles at 2 dealers today (in Michigan). All SE and SELs.

All Sedans (they were all SE, none had SFE) had shutters

No SE 5dr had shutters

All SEL 5dr had shutters

Just looked at a 5dr SE with the SE Sport Package. No shutters.

All Focuses that I have seen with the 'Winter Package' had shutters. This includes SE 5dr models. None of the S or SE models without the 'Winter Package' had them. I have not seen any Focuses with the SFE package, but am sure they will include the shutters also.

I have a 5dr SE with manual trans and Sport Package on order, build date of April 5. I was initially undecided about the Winter Package (thought seat warmers are for sissy's) until I noticed that all Focuses that had it also included the Grille Shutters, so I changed my order a couple of weeks ago.

According to today's press release Ford made mention of grill shutters available on four-door models -- no mention of it being available on the five-doors.

Yeah, that's interesting how they word it. But even so, I've seen 5dr (SELs) with them, and we've seen pictures of a Texas S Sedan that didn't have them.

According to today's press release Ford made mention of grill shutters available on four-door models -- no mention of it being available on the five-doors.

The wording is this way because the SFE Package is available on the SE sedan only.

This confusion is nonsense and Ford must take responsibility for the failure to clarify exactly how a Focus must be ordered so that one can buy a car with assurance of having this feature.

With a nanny government hectoring manufacturers and consumers about using less fuel and with a simple and clever technology available from Ford to accomplish exactly this, why is this feature not standard on every North America Focus?

I'd like to know exactly how this "grille shutter" system works and why it is not used on every Focus (and later on every Ford) produced.

This is very smart aerodynamic engineering. It should be on all cars and Ford (or whomever figured out a mass market application) should get very big royalty fees.

- ranchero -