Here is the latest info for the Next Generation Police Interceptors

Job1 is still set to run in Q4 2011 for deliveries to customers in Q1 2012

US pricing almost right on the previous CVPI pricing with exact pricing to be released shortly.

EcoBoost is $2000 more but not an issue for many agencies because it's not required for urban policing.

Options are similar to current CVPI and lighting packages are very reasonable almost too cheap to have agencies do it themselves.

AWD is STANDARD now and FWD is an option.

This decision was based on Police Advisory Board (PAB) feedback Ford has received because the safety of AWD in a vehicle driven like a Police is has justified the base cost.

Sedan Interceptor is standard V6 3.5L 290HP AWD

Utility Interceptor is standard V6 3.7L 300HP AWD (more torque because PAB said most utilities will replace many Tahoe's and they will have 400lbs cargo as a minimum)

Utility beat Tahoe at LASD Vehicle Testing this year.

EcoBoost Sedan beat Charger Hemi at LASD Vehicle Testing this year.

Both built in the Chicago Assembly plant on the same line as the Taurus and Explorer.

Big news is warranty for these vehicles has been increased to include 5 yr 100,000 powertrain ESP warranty due to the concerns about AWD and EcoBoost turbo.

No more 3 yr powertrain warranty.

The PAB told Ford if you want people to except AWD or FWD Police cars then you better stand behind them with warranty

Their main point was that today's AWD is not AWD of the 80' and 90's that cost 3X as much to repair when you hit a curb.

Due to the complexity of the new vehicles they are offering vehicles pre-drilled and 4 corner lighting installed from the factory because putting LED strobes in the headlights is very complicated now and if an Agency does it themselves they will void the warranty. The headlamp assembly is approx $600 each so it is recommended that Agencies order the cars pre-wired with wigwag headlights, siren speaker, 4 corner LED lights wired and installed.

To get headlights out you must remove front "clip" of vehicle which is approx 2 hrs labour. That alone pays for the factory lights and pre-wire never mind the fact Ford will warranty all of it if they do it.

Part of the Driver Distraction Program Ford listened to the PAB and many agencies who have been asking for emergency equipment controls on the steering wheel. GM and Chrysler have nothing like this at all.

Steering wheel switches will have 4 functions for lights and siren, wires will be left in the center console area for each Agency to use as they see fit. Essentially the switch is 1 amp trigger to a relay which will be installed by the agency with this feature being 100% agency configurable

All vehicles now standard with a crash tested base plate mounting plate between seats creating a wire channel to the trunk. Agencies cannot use seat bolts anymore for console attachments points or warranty voided. This is another big outfitting saving as now we attach our own non-crash tested base plates.

Essentially the Police Advisory Board has told Ford you must make this new vehicle(s) plug and play with old equipment and new equipment. Outfitting costs cannot double because of a new vehicle they must stay close to the CVPI. So Ford has priced the wiring options very cheap in order to have the majority done through the factory.

As an example they have the siren and grill lamps (red/blue in grill) mounted and prewired to the console area with factory wiring for a price that you probably couldn't buy the parts that cheap never mind include the labour or warranty.

On mobile computing issues the most common CF-30/31 clambshell laptop WILL fit in both vehicles with a new style docking station.

Equipment packages to follow shortly with a new ordering guide as well.

Special paint is now being done with 3M wraps. So for black and whites you order the car black and they wrap the doors with white 3M wrap at the factory. Saves big money on rollout and at the end of vehicle life for stripping. You can even give them your graphic and they will silkscreen it right into the wrap.

The prototypes are going around the USA and Canada now for the Ride and Drive events so make sure you get your name into the local Government Rep if you want to drive these.

Edited by Sgt1411

Here is the latest info for the Next Generation Police Interceptors

Job1 is still set to run in Q4 2011 for deliveries to customers in Q1 2012

US pricing was released and its almost right on the previous CVPI pricing with a slight increase. Exact pricing to be released shortly.

EcoBoost is $2000 more but not an issue for many agencies because it's not required for urban policing.

Options are similar to current CVPI and lighting packages are very reasonable almost too cheap to have agencies do it themselves.

AWD is STANDARD now and FWD is an option.

This decision was based on Police Advisory Board (PAB) feedback Ford has received because the safety of AWD in a vehicle driven like a Police is has justified the base cost.

Sedan Interceptor is standard V6 3.5L 290HP AWD

Utility Interceptor is standard V6 3.7L 300HP AWD (more torque because PAB said most utilities will replace many Tahoe's and they will have 400lbs cargo as a minimum)

Utility beat Tahoe at LASD Vehicle Testing this year.

EcoBoost Sedan beat Charger Hemi at LASD Vehicle Testing this year.

Both built in the Chicago Assembly plant on the same line as the Taurus and Explorer.

Big news is warranty for these vehicles has been increased to include 5 yr 100,000 powertrain ESP warranty due to the concerns about AWD and EcoBoost turbo.

No more 3 yr powertrain warranty.

The PAB told Ford if you want people to except AWD or FWD Police cars then you better stand behind them with warranty

Their main point was that today's AWD is not AWD of the 80' and 90's that cost 3X as much to repair when you hit a curb.

Due to the complexity of the new vehicles they are offering vehicles pre-drilled and 4 corner lighting installed from the factory because putting LED strobes in the headlights is very complicated now and if an Agency does it themselves they will void the warranty. The headlamp assembly is approx $600 each so it is recommended that Agencies order the cars pre-wired with wigwag headlights, siren speaker, 4 corner LED lights wired and installed.

To get headlights out you must remove front "clip" of vehicle which is 2-3 hrs labour. That alone pays for the factory lights and pre-wire never mind the fact Ford will warranty all of it if they do it.

Part of the Driver Distraction Program Ford listened to the PAB and many agencies who have been asking for emergency equipment controls on the steering wheel. GM and Chrysler have nothing like this at all.

Steering wheel switches will have 4 functions for lights and siren, wires will be left in the center console area for each Agency to use as they see fit. Essentially the switch is 1 amp trigger to a relay which will be installed by the agency.

100% agency configurable but a suggested common setup like the following:

1. Position 1 being fast light flash, siren, and wigwags.

2. Position 2 being slower flash, no siren, no wigwags.

3. Position 3 being rear lights only

4. Position 4 open to Agency needs, possibly radio TX in future so we can get rid of the hand mike. (on going project)

All vehicles now standard with a crash tested base plate mounting plate between seats creating a wire channel to the trunk. Agencies cannot use seat bolts anymore for console attachments points or warranty voided. This is another big outfitting saving as now we attach our own non-crash tested base plates.

Essentially the Police Advisory Board has told Ford you must make this new vehicle(s) plug and play with old equipment and new equipment. Outfitting costs cannot double because of a new vehicle they must stay close to the CVPI. So Ford has priced the wiring options very cheap in order to have the majority done through the factory.

As an example they have the siren and grill lamps (red/blue in grill) mounted and prewired to the console area with factory wiring for approximently $150. You cant buy the parts that cheap never mind the labour or warranty.

On mobile computing issues the most common CF-30/31 clambshell laptop WILL fit in both vehicles with a new style docking station.

Equipment packages to follow shortly with a new ordering guide as well.

Special paint is gone now its all being done with 3M wraps. So for black and whites you order the car black and they wrap the doors with white 3M wrap at the factory. Saves big money on rollout and at the end of vehicle life for stripping. You can even give them your graphic and they will silkscreen it right into the wrap.

The prototypes are going around the USA and Canada now for the Ride and Drive events so make sure you get your name into the local Government Rep if you want to drive these.

When does ordering start?

When does ordering start?

As soon as municipalities get funding. right now vehicles will be held until the wheels fall off. This is probably the worst time in the last thirty years to try and sell new vehicles to LE agencies. As far as equipment installs, each agony has specific requirements. Many don't use the Panasonic Toughbook laptops so that docking station might very well be useless to some. Some of the features (the tunnel to the truck was always available as an option) is a great idea as is the power terminals in the trunk area.

But the NJ State contract mandates that the dealer delivering the vehicle must also offer install services at a specific rate. Both dealers are a Federal, Whalen and dealers for most EMS equipmenmanufacturersrs such as Troy and Setina. The also apply the graphics so the vehicle is for the most part a turn key unit.

But the point many are missing is agencies reuse their equipment over the life of more thasn one unit. Some deleivery of each new unit with new equipment may be useless to most. Would be nice but it's not happening with today's budgets.

Edited by rscalzo
  • Like 1

As soon as municipalities get funding. right now vehicles will be held until the wheels fall off. This is probably the worst time in the last thirty years to try and sell new vehicles to LE agencies.

Yet crown Victoria sold over 6,000 vehicles last month and maybe not all of them to PDs but you gotta wonder...

The Government Sales people told me they took in 22,000 CVPI orders in the last two months of ordering (Feb/March 2010)

Yes, 22,000 .........thats not a typo.

I asked them to confirm that number because I couldn't believe it.

Thats unreal but shows you that many agencies are loading up on the proven CVPI and waiting a year or two to see how all the new vehicles play out.

Apparently dealers are going to hold stock in the USA and Canada for agencies who need replacements.

Order bank opening for NGPI is not confirmed but ASAP because Advisory Board members told Ford they would miss many agencies 2012 orders if it wasn't soon.

The Government Sales people told me they took in 22,000 CVPI orders in the last two months of ordering (Feb/March 2010)

Yes, 22,000 .........thats not a typo.

I asked them to confirm that number because I couldn't believe it.

Thats unreal but shows you that many agencies are loading up on the proven CVPI and waiting a year or two to see how all the new vehicles play out.

Apparently dealers are going to hold stock in the USA and Canada for agencies who need replacements.

Order bank opening for NGPI is not confirmed but ASAP because Advisory Board members told Ford they would miss many agencies 2012 orders if it wasn't soon.

Great info-thx. Looks like Ford is playing hardball on this one. As a Taurus skeptic, (I look at the rear dif. on my 2010 SHO and think.."how does this little thing handle ANY torque) I think the warranty move is huge. As for those moving orders forward to get CV's can't blame them. Go with the proven item and let someone else work out the bugs.

Great info-thx. Looks like Ford is playing hardball on this one. As a Taurus skeptic, (I look at the rear dif. on my 2010 SHO and think.."how does this little thing handle ANY torque) I think the warranty move is huge. As for those moving orders forward to get CV's can't blame them. Go with the proven item and let someone else work out the bugs.

That is why we put in out orders but it was based on monies allocated the previous year. The coming years...who knows but vehicle purchases are going to be dramatically lower than previous years. 6000 units is about 115 per state. In the past we would have taken thirty percent of those alone.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is excellent information/confirmation that I've been looking for since the Detroit Auto Show in January. There and at Chicago's was a PI Utility with a placcard next to it indicating that the plant was the 3.7L and not the 3.5L that Ford has been stating. I'm happy that they've made this standard in the Utility and surprized/disappointed it's not standard in the Sedan as well. As it is, there will be five configurations between the two cars: Sedan with the 3.5L/AWD, 3.5L/FWD, and EB3.5L/AWD plus the Utility with the 3.7L/AWD and 3.7L/FWD. If Ford dropped the NA 3.5L, that would drop down to only three configurations, which would have to save money, time, and effort but most of all money. In addition, it is more in keeping with the theme that Ford has been touting: the sharing of drivetrains, platforms, parts, servicing schedules, etc. I realize that the 3.5L and the 3.7L V6s share a lot, but why offer both when offering one is better? Since the MkS already offers the bigger displacement engine, this should be a bolt-in. A minor issue perhaps, but the higher HP/torque engine would be appreciated by buyers in this very competitive market for new police vehicles.

Edited by T'Cal
  • Like 1

A bit of an indirect update on Holden's caprice. Holden stamps panels and exports them to GM China where they are

turned into Buick Park Avenues, those sales have significantly declined this year to around 100/month and sales

of Caprice in Australia is now fewer than 100/mth so if Caprice PPV doesn't fire, I'd say the big Holden is gone.....

The headlamp assembly is approx $600 each so it is recommended that Agencies order the cars pre-wired with wigwag headlights, siren speaker, 4 corner LED lights wired and installed.

To get headlights out you must remove front "clip" of vehicle which is approx 2 hrs labour.

LOLWUT

LOLWUT

Way to take a quote out of context:

To get headlights out you must remove front "clip" of vehicle which is 2-3 hrs labour. That alone pays for the factory lights and pre-wire never mind the fact Ford will warranty all of it if they do it.

Edited by jpd80

I expect that there will be a lot of government and law enforcement agencies that will try to order 2011 Crown Victoria PI units soon and find themselves very disappointed. In the meantime, Ford has just published a 2013 Police Interceptor booklet, available to Dealers via the Ford eStore, to provide Dealers with information on the upcoming all-new Police Interceptor vehicles.

I expect that there will be a lot of government and law enforcement agencies that will try to order 2011 Crown Victoria PI units soon and find themselves very disappointed. In the meantime, Ford has just published a 2013 Police Interceptor booklet, available to Dealers via the Ford eStore, to provide Dealers with information on the upcoming all-new Police Interceptor vehicles.

No LE agency will be surprized. Ford has been targeting its police audience for several months - maybe even the past year - with info on the Next Gen PIs along with notices that production of the CVPI is ending. Ford will sell a lot of the CVPI as some agencies, knowing that it will no longer be available, are buying extra to stockpile. Fleet managers have convinced their cities/villages that it'll be cheaper to stick with the same model. Even in these tough economic times, municipalities have accepted this argument and bought extras. I don't know if it really will be cheaper as the actual sale price of the PI Sedan and Utility haven't been established just yet. In addition, most of the existing equipment will bolt right into the Taurus and Explorer models with little or no modification.

Unrelated but I finally rode around in our new Escape Hybrid unit purchased for administrative use. I have two Escapes so it was wried when backing out with no engine sounds. I've been told gas mileage was not what they expected over a gas model.

I think it would be helpful if Ford got the aftermarket to let us know what will fit and what won't. In our case finding information from Federal Signal for its lightbar mounts have been impossible. Obviously we would have to buy new ones, but which ones.

Not necessarily so. You may have to change only the brackets to adapt them to the replacement car/ute.

I was not clear enough, I did mean the brackets. That is what we are looking for.

Cool. When do you expect to take delivery of your new Fords? What will you be getting, Sedans or Utilities? Both?

Edited by T'Cal

Cool. When do you expect to take delivery of your new Fords? What will you be getting, Sedans or Utilities? Both?

Well we are going with the sedans, AWD, but due to GSA will not see them until next year. However, we did get 15 new 2011 Explorers, so we are starting to outfit those, we get our test vehicle back next week.

$600 for a headlamp assembly......EACH? No one thinks replacement costs like that will be a turn off for police fleets on budgets?

That's for the special LED wig wag Strobe lights that police use,

they are expensive no matter which vehicle you're talking about.

Edited by jpd80

That's for the special LED wig wag Strobe lights that police use,

they are expensive no matter which vehicle you're talking about.

The wigwag relay unit for the CV or Charger start at about $50.00. Strobes in ther housing is a different issue. A four bulb system including the power supply from a top quaslity manufacturer such as Federal or whelen is $250 - $300. Does this $600 part include the wigwag system and strobes?..

$500-$600 is for the OEM RETAIL headlight assembly, absolutely NO police lighting installed.

So if an Agency decides they don't want Fords factory upfitting that is going to be done in a building next door to the Chicago Assembly Plant the they take the risk of paying for a replacement.

The concern is drilling holes in the 2011 headlight assembly to install corner strobes/LED or any other type of lighting. These new headlight bodies have multiple layers, so drilling a 1" hole for the strobe/LED bulb is a little trickier then an older CVPI.

If your installers are good, they drill perfectly, they vacuum all debris from the housing, they guarantee the seal is 100% waterproof, then you have no concerns too worry about.

Well we are going with the sedans, AWD, but due to GSA will not see them until next year. However, we did get 15 new 2011 Explorers, so we are starting to outfit those, we get our test vehicle back next week.

Forgive me: what's GSA?

Are the Explorers all Police Interceptors or are any civilan models? Would you be able to post interior shots of the Explorers once they are equipped?

Edited by T'Cal