Is Eco-Boost worth cost over 5.0 engine

gafry

Will you save the extra money at the gas pump ??

This depends a lot on how you drive the truck.

If you almost always carry a load, my guess is that you will not see any difference in fuel economy. Also, if you have a heavy foot, I suspect there will not be much difference.

If you rarely carry a load and drive carefully, I would suspect you would see the better fuel economy on the EcoBoost engine. Whether it will pay back depends on how many miles you drive per year, the price of gasoline and how long you own the truck

Edited by theoldwizard

This depends a lot on how you drive the truck.

If you almost always carry a load, my guess is that you will not see any difference in fuel economy. Also, if you have a heavy foot, I suspect there will not be much difference.

If you rarely carry a load and drive carefully, I would suspect you would see the better fuel economy on the EcoBoost engine. Whether it will pay back depends on how many miles you drive per year, the price of gasoline and how long you own the truck

I agree. However, there are a few more things to consider. The EB is much smoother and quieter and the added low end torque from the turbos does not give you as much of a power rush when you accelerate (like a V8 does when it gets into its power band), so it has less of a "kick in the pants" feel than the 5.0. The sound of the 5.0 is great and quite a few people have admitted that that is what sold them on the 5.0. The other thing to consider is whether or not you have confidence in the EB design. While both are "new" engines, the 5.0 is still a V8, no tubos or DI. Power and mileage wise, I think the EB wins, but it's by no means a slam dunk.

I agree. However, there are a few more things to consider. The EB is much smoother and quieter and the added low end torque from the turbos does not give you as much of a power rush when you accelerate (like a V8 does when it gets into its power band), so it has less of a "kick in the pants" feel than the 5.0. The sound of the 5.0 is great and quite a few people have admitted that that is what sold them on the 5.0. The other thing to consider is whether or not you have confidence in the EB design. While both are "new" engines, the 5.0 is still a V8, no tubos or DI. Power and mileage wise, I think the EB wins, but it's by no means a slam dunk.

What??? do you know when the "power" really kicks in on the 5.0L??? its not right away....I have driven both and can attest that the ECO is a much smoother quicker engine then the 5.0L but the 5.0 does sound much throatier! forsure.... have you driven both engines???

What??? do you know when the "power" really kicks in on the 5.0L??? its not right away....I have driven both and can attest that the ECO is a much smoother quicker engine then the 5.0L but the 5.0 does sound much throatier! forsure.... have you driven both engines???

Exactly my point! The 5.0 needs to get the revs up into its powerband. The EB powerband starts much lower, hence no rush of power. Yep, drove both.

Exactly my point! The 5.0 needs to get the revs up into its powerband. The EB powerband starts much lower, hence no rush of power. Yep, drove both.

Wow! I drove the EB and got a SERIOUS rush of Power. Maybe you're saying that it's so strong that you just don't notice it, but I accelerated from 60 to 90 and got pulled back into my seat.

Wow! I drove the EB and got a SERIOUS rush of Power. Maybe you're saying that it's so strong that you just don't notice it, but I accelerated from 60 to 90 and got pulled back into my seat.

He's saying the 5.0 builds to peak torque more slowly so it starts out slower then hits with a bang as it gets up on the cams and you hit peak torque.

With the EB you pretty much get peak torque right off the line so it just pulls hard the whole time.

It's a perception thing.

He's saying the 5.0 builds to peak torque more slowly so it starts out slower then hits with a bang as it gets up on the cams and you hit peak torque.

With the EB you pretty much get peak torque right off the line so it just pulls hard the whole time.

It's a perception thing.

Thanks, that's what I was doing a poor job of saying.

Is the added cost of the Eco-Boost V6 worth the cost over the 5.0 V8?

Will you save the extra money at the gas pump ??

What are your thoughts??

Well here is my 2 cents worth. As far as mpg's go it's a combo of driving style and terrain in your area. I drive with cruise control constantly thus all the trucks I owned that were gas v8's were doing a lot of downshifting on even slight hills. After moving to diesels with the low end torque I learned that not downshifting almost ever was a real fuel saver. When I heard about the EB, I thought it deserved a look. There were several hills around my area that I test drove the EB to see if it would pull the hills in 6th gear cruise and not downshift. It passed with flying colors. I then drove a 5.0 similarly equipped(3.73 rear) and most hills it downshifted twice, all the way down to 4th gear. Same speeds, same hills, same day. For me it was a no brainer. I now own a F150 EB. I have yet to have it downshift on a hill in 6th gear cruise. First two tanks of gas, 18.5 and 19.1 mpg hand calculated. Either way you go you win. Both great engines and I was impressed by the 5.0, it just wasn't the one for me. And no I haven't towed yet.

My opinion.

I think if you can't negotiate a price that discounts the price difference between the engines you need to go to a class on how to buy a pickup. Ford gains by increasing its fleet EPA numbers, they want this engine to sell like crazy...so find a dealer that deals...if money is the only issue.

My opinion.

I think if you can't negotiate a price that discounts the price difference between the engines you need to go to a class on how to buy a pickup. Ford gains by increasing its fleet EPA numbers, they want this engine to sell like crazy...so find a dealer that deals...if money is the only issue.

Assuming you've made your absolute best deal on the 5.0 - the 3.5EB will always be $623 more because that's what Ford charges the dealer. If you negotiate less than that then you didn't negotiate enough on the 5.0 initially.

Assuming you've made your absolute best deal on the 5.0 - the 3.5EB will always be $623 more because that's what Ford charges the dealer. If you negotiate less than that then you didn't negotiate enough on the 5.0 initially.

Yep...I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

It's a perception thing.

I have driven both back to back at an F-150 round-up. Pushing down on the gas pedal of the 5.0 caused instantaneous, HARD acceleration. Pushing down on the gas pedal on the EB caused a split second of turbo lag that was followed by HARD acceleration.

If you look at the hp/torque numbers, they are very close. The 5.0 has 360 hp and 380ft/lb. The EB has 365hp/lb and 420ft/lb.

Not really much difference. If I was going to haul a very heavy load or heavy trailer, I'd get the EB. The 5.0 has lots of power, but for my purposes I am going to go for the 5.0.

Oh, and BTW, the descriptions of the sound of the 5.0 is 100% accurate. It made beautiful music!!! The EB made less sound and not much music.

If you look at the hp/torque numbers, they are very close. The 5.0 has 360 hp and 380ft/lb. The EB has 365hp/lb and 420ft/lb.

Keep in mind that down around 2000 rpm, the EB is pumping out right around 400 ft/lbs and the 5.0 is in the neighborhood of 210 ft/lbs. The 5.0 hits its max torque number of 380 at 4250 rpm and the EB hits 420 at 2500 rpm.

Keep in mind that down around 2000 rpm, the EB is pumping out right around 400 ft/lbs and the 5.0 is in the neighborhood of 210 ft/lbs. The 5.0 hits its max torque number of 380 at 4250 rpm and the EB hits 420 at 2500 rpm.

Those numbers would certain convince me to purchase the EB rather than the 5.0 for towning my travel trailer. I currently own a 2009 F-150, 5.4 which I am very pleased with. However the EB engine got me drooling for a new F-150 with the EB possibly in 2012,

Well here is my 2 cents worth. As far as mpg's go it's a combo of driving style and terrain in your area. I drive with cruise control constantly thus all the trucks I owned that were gas v8's were doing a lot of downshifting on even slight hills. After moving to diesels with the low end torque I learned that not downshifting almost ever was a real fuel saver. When I heard about the EB, I thought it deserved a look. There were several hills around my area that I test drove the EB to see if it would pull the hills in 6th gear cruise and not downshift. It passed with flying colors. I then drove a 5.0 similarly equipped(3.73 rear) and most hills it downshifted twice, all the way down to 4th gear. Same speeds, same hills, same day. For me it was a no brainer. I now own a F150 EB. I have yet to have it downshift on a hill in 6th gear cruise. First two tanks of gas, 18.5 and 19.1 mpg hand calculated. Either way you go you win. Both great engines and I was impressed by the 5.0, it just wasn't the one for me. And no I haven't towed yet.

I bought the eco for the same reason. More torque means less downshifting and higher mpg.

Here is my review of my first two towing experiences (8200 lbs)

http://forums.pickuptrucks.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=608609&page=1&nt=3&fpart=1

akirby

Thats not the way it works. Too many packages etc. They want to move the eocboost. But if you are making that argument you want the 5.0...you might as well be honest about it. I was trying to help those who truly see the value of the ecoboost to get it. No one has talked about he passing ability of these critters...if you get into that eco at say 60 mph to pass a caravan of cars on a narrow two lane you will appreciate what Ford made...hold onto your hat!...it makes my hemi feel slow. There is vitually no lag except at a drag light,,,,and any other condition it is non existant....just what I bought a great pickup for...the drag strip.

akirby

Thats not the way it works. Too many packages etc. They want to move the eocboost. But if you are making that argument you want the 5.0...you might as well be honest about it. I was trying to help those who truly see the value of the ecoboost to get it. No one has talked about he passing ability of these critters...if you get into that eco at say 60 mph to pass a caravan of cars on a narrow two lane you will appreciate what Ford made...hold onto your hat!...it makes my hemi feel slow. There is vitually no lag except at a drag light,,,,and any other condition it is non existant....just what I bought a great pickup for...the drag strip.

johndeer, ham As I said in my post, if I were going to tow/haul thousands of pounds I would definitely get the EB. I will probably just be hauling two dirt bikes and gear. I am sure that most people here want more than just hauling when when they buy a Ford F-150. They buy it for the same reason the F-150 has sold MILLIONS of units to people, many of whom haul very little more than kids and groceries. They buy it for it's good looks, it's durability, towing capacity, it's style, it's comfortable ride (compared to an F-250), it's nice interior and, I bellieve its SIZE.

Yes I said size. Most people don't really want/need an F-250 or a Dodge Ram or a Silverado because only the F-150 is just slightly SMALLER so as to not be intimidating (and less expensive) as the bigger bodied trucks.

I have been honest all along about the 5.0. I like it because of it's throttle response and SOUND. I have freely admitted that the EB has more hp and torque.

I hope LOTS of people buy the EB. I believe it will help Ford meet the CAFE standards. Chrysler and GM have nothing to match it.

But me, I will be the one passing you at the 1/16 mile marker only to see your EB walk by me at the 1/4 mile with my windows down all the way and a big grin on my face. And thanks to your quiet EB I will be able to hear my 5.0 make it's music all the way.

C,mon ham, I can see you at a red light. Up comes a brand new 6.2 Silverado 1500. I bet you would demonstrate your EB's passing ability to the happless owner of the Gov't Motors product. Silent but deadly.....

Edited by DUCKRACER

akirby

Thats not the way it works. Too many packages etc. They want to move the eocboost. But if you are making that argument you want the 5.0...you might as well be honest about it.

You were implying that one could get the ecoboost engine for the same price as the 5.0 just by being a good negotiator because Ford wants to move more of these engines.

What Ford wants (CAFE) is totally irrelevant to the dealer. Ford charges the dealer an extra $623 for the ecoboost engine itself outside of any packages. There is no reason for the dealer to "eat" that extra charge from Ford.

It's really simple - if you want the EB then pay the extra $623. I never implied anything about one being better than the other.

akirby

There is vitually no lag except at a drag light,,,,and any other condition it is non existant....just what I bought a great pickup for...the drag strip.

Well, If you hold the brakes and rev her up to 1400 RPM and let her go,.... what lag :happy feet: . Oh yeah, engage 4x4 when doing this to eliminate wheel spin. I loved playing with my 6.4L SD, get to 20 psi then launch away.