Is Eco-Boost worth cost over 5.0 engine

gafry

I bought the eco for the same reason. More torque means less downshifting and higher mpg.

Here is my review of my first two towing experiences (8200 lbs)

http://forums.pickuptrucks.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=608609&page=1&nt=3&fpart=1

Very nice write up. My truck should arrive in about 4 weeks and I'll be pulling a travel trailer that weighs close to your loaded spreader so I hope I get similar MPG. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Very nice write up. My truck should arrive in about 4 weeks and I'll be pulling a travel trailer that weighs close to your loaded spreader so I hope I get similar MPG. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

You are welcome. You will like the truck when you get one. Thursday, I have 4 young cows to take to the market, should be about 6000 lbs total, so I will get another chance to see how it tows with a stock trailer instead of that wide tire spreader.

I typically post more over on pickuptrucks.com so check over there every once in awhile and I will be posting my towing experiences.

I also have a 8.5' x20' deckover flatbed on order that should be here next week, so I will post what mpg I get pulling it both empty and loaded with hay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What??? do you know when the "power" really kicks in on the 5.0L??? its not right away....I have driven both and can attest that the ECO is a much smoother quicker engine then the 5.0L but the 5.0 does sound much throatier! forsure.... have you driven both engines???

Need to obtain a better sounding exhaust system for Eco!

All of the engines are at their worst hauling or towing heavy.

EcoBoost may get 6.2L economy towing heavy, but it will tow like one so I will be happy.

Then the 99% it is not towing, I will really be happy.

edit:

PS 2012 EB SuperCrew will get heavy-duty payload for the first time so that is another reason to go with EB over the 5.0 if you are towing or hauling heavy.

Edited by Bryan1

• 9 months later...

Can't wait until my 2012 4x4 XLT EB comes in. It was ordered on 4/9 and supposedly built, according to the window sticker 5/7. I too am hoping the EB was worth the xtra cost--I watched to torture test videos and they were impressive, but some things you can't believe until you see/drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that's what I was doing a poor job of saying.

I must disagree. A year ago I went to the F-150 pickup round-up. For several hours I got to compare trucks and motors. The EB had a few moments of turbo lag but once it kicked in, it was like the Space Shuttle.

The 5.0 responded INSTANTANEOUSLY. Just breathing on the gas pedal result in immediate acceleration.

I could have easily afforded the EB, but on Dec. 14, 2011 I took possession of a 2012 F-150 Platinum with the 6 1/2 ft bed with the 5.0 I LOVE THIS TRUCK. The 5.0 ROCKS!!! I still roll down my windows and floor it when I go under a freeway over pass. Sounds like I'm in a NASCAR race.

Unless you are going to tow really heavy stuff, go for the 5.0

I must admit that I must stay under 70mph to get anyhwere near the EPA MPG claimed. But heck, BO will not pe president soon and gas will go down in price....

^ Congrats Duck. I'm like you with the engine music, except I love a tight crowded street with buildings and hearing the sweet sound of twins spooling up. I have the sweet spot down (roll into the throttle pretty quick about half way) and it gets people to turn heads with a loud echoing whistle.

I must disagree. A year ago I went to the F-150 pickup round-up. For several hours I got to compare trucks and motors. The EB had a few moments of turbo lag but once it kicked in, it was like the Space Shuttle.

The 5.0 responded INSTANTANEOUSLY. Just breathing on the gas pedal result in immediate acceleration.

I could have easily afforded the EB, but on Dec. 14, 2011 I took possession of a 2012 F-150 Platinum with the 6 1/2 ft bed with the 5.0 I LOVE THIS TRUCK. The 5.0 ROCKS!!! I still roll down my windows and floor it when I go under a freeway over pass. Sounds like I'm in a NASCAR race.

Unless you are going to tow really heavy stuff, go for the 5.0

I must admit that I must stay under 70mph to get anyhwere near the EPA MPG claimed. But heck, BO will not pe president soon and gas will go down in price....

Thank's for buying your truck I love making them, you should here the 6.2 with no mufflers sound's like an NASCAR.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I pick up a 2013 F150 STX RCSB 5.0 later today. A no brainer, as the only other choice on a RCSB is a 3.7. I test drove one with a 5.0 & 3.31 open rear, and it had traction problems. It felt about as quick as my 2000 Lightning was when stock. I had the dealer find me one with a 3.55LS rear. I love the potential of the 5.0, where the Ecoboost is almost maxed from Ford. The 5.0 engine will handle 800HP without opening it up. Even adding the Roush supercharger can easily run 12's. Eco-what? Truth be told, I like the Ecoboost, but most people are not seeing different economy than the 5.0. I love the 5.0 sound.The RCSB 2wd configuration (4800#) should get great mileage, even with the 3.55's.

I test drove a EB yesterday, I have a 5.4 now with cat-back duals and I like the sound of it, so I really like the idea of the 5.0L. However what people are saying about the EB is exactly right, even though we went up a couple of decent hills it never down shifted and i was in a 6.5 ft crew cab, you're always in the power, in that way it's kind of boring to drive, because you don't really need to modulate the accelerator much. My 5.4L on the same hill will down shift, and it will have sound glorious doing that, of course I can also watch my gas gauge needle actively doing down all the while.

I would like to see what a 5.0L with DI would do, my guess is that it'd probably still down shift more often though I'd expect the gap to narrow some, and it's not all that big of a gap to begin with, really it seems this world wants to take every delightfull excess known to men, perhaps someone should see fit to preserve the sound of a V-8.

Anyway I am looking to replace my F150, today the EB is the objective choice, but I might just hold out another year, perhaps Ford will see fit to add DI to the 5.0L along with an 8 speed tranny and close the gap just enough to let me get another V-8 with a clear conscience.

Edited by meyeste

Well, If you hold the brakes and rev her up to 1400 RPM and let her go,.... what lag :happy feet: . Oh yeah, engage 4x4 when doing this to eliminate wheel spin. I loved playing with my 6.4L SD, get to 20 psi then launch away.

That's not needed with the 5.0. It will light both tires and keep on pulling. I do have the advantage of a regular cab short bed 2WD though. I believe this to be the quickest F150 combo, while maintaining the best reliability.

i had a 2010 with the 5.4 platinum, now i have a platinum with the EB, and all i really notice is how much smoother the EB seems to feel. milage is up a touch also for my habits anyway. FWIW

You can't really compare the 5.4 to the 5.0 however, because the 5.0 is a much better engine. More power, smoother, more refined and gets better MPG. At this point either the 5.0 or EB are good choices. It just depends on what you want. As for me I would go for a SC 4x4 with a 3.7 but that is because I don't tow anything very large. I figure if my Escape 3.0 can tow it a 3.7 would be more then adequate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...