Delay for 2011 Fusion

cmurph89

I ordered my 2011 Ford Fusion SEL on February 21st and was told it would be 6-8 wks. Well, they didn't even pull the order until a couple weeks ago and now it's scheduled to be built May 2nd and delivery is set for May 23rd. Any ideas on what the hold up would have been? My dealer really didn't seem to know, though he mentioned something about running out of parts. I'm not sure if that's it or something else. I was just curious if anyone knows why they are so delayed and also wondering if there's any chance I'd get a 2012 now instead since they retooled the line the beginning of April? He hasn't mentioned anything about that, but it would definitely make it worth the wait if it was :).

I ordered my 2011 Ford Fusion SEL on February 21st and was told it would be 6-8 wks. Well, they didn't even pull the order until a couple weeks ago and now it's scheduled to be built May 2nd and delivery is set for May 23rd. Any ideas on what the hold up would have been? My dealer really didn't seem to know, though he mentioned something about running out of parts. I'm not sure if that's it or something else. I was just curious if anyone knows why they are so delayed and also wondering if there's any chance I'd get a 2012 now instead since they retooled the line the beginning of April? He hasn't mentioned anything about that, but it would definitely make it worth the wait if it was :).

Sorry to burst your bubble, but "retooling" does not happen in April. The last 2011 is scheduled to roll of the line on June 3. 2012 models essentially have no changes other than some colors and a couple other ordering changes anyway, so no advantage to a 2012 model. Not sure what color you are getting, but because of the Japan earthquake, certain red and black colors have been discontinued due to an ingredient only available from there, causing a delay until new colors can replace them (which has just been done). Also, the V6 has been known to be in short supply, causing 2-4 week delays. Could also be due to some other option your ordered and either a part shortage or just when they produce cars with that option, such as AWD. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply! I had actually read it earlier and forgot to respond....didn't want you to think I didn't appreciate your help :). I ordered the White platinum tri-coat and I now have a window sticker. Now I'm trying to figure out it shows a ship date? I see a bunch of #'s on the bottom righg. It was scheduled to be built May 2nd, but I'm thinking maybe it was done April 28th. There are a bunch of letters & numbers and then it says 000514 04 28 11. On the top left it shows HRM-000514WI and below that it says 9-Normal, NA, 000514, BD28, 000010813. Any ideas of any of that includes a ship date? I'd love to get it early. It's coming rail from Mexico.

Thanks for your reply! I had actually read it earlier and forgot to respond....didn't want you to think I didn't appreciate your help :). I ordered the White platinum tri-coat and I now have a window sticker. Now I'm trying to figure out it shows a ship date? I see a bunch of #'s on the bottom righg. It was scheduled to be built May 2nd, but I'm thinking maybe it was done April 28th. There are a bunch of letters & numbers and then it says 000514 04 28 11. On the top left it shows HRM-000514WI and below that it says 9-Normal, NA, 000514, BD28, 000010813. Any ideas of any of that includes a ship date? I'd love to get it early. It's coming rail from Mexico.

Glad I could help.

Not sure what all the numbers mean myself, but all Fusions are assembled in Mexico and are shipped by rail. The window sticker will not show the ship date, as other factors not known at the time can affect it. The 04 28 11 would be the date the window sticker was created, and does not necessarily represent the assembly date.

If you want to find out the current status at the factory, here is a piece of info I collected last fall. To find out the current status of the car from production date until shipment from the factory using the VIN, call Ford Marketing and Sales at 1-800-334-4375, 9-6 EST Monday through Friday. They are very friendly and helpful, but their knowledge is limited to the current status. Just don't call them on a daily basis. If they say the car has shipped, then you need to contact the dealer as they have the ability to track it at that point, also other tools at their disposal if they are willing to help. I have some info on that if you need it later on. If you can get the rail car number from the dealer and the railroad company, you can check on the location status during shipping yourself by calling the railroad company.

You are so helpful! I called an it is in transit. I know it still may be until the 23rd coming on rail, but it gets me even more excited to know it is at least on it's way! I might have to ask the dealer for the rail company info, but I was in there this morning asking about it and he didn't mention having that info. I might wait a few days to bother him again ;). Thanks again for helping me out!