New Vehicle order turned down by Ford

Wife and i spend 4 hours at a ford dealership last week, driving and looking hard at the 2011 explorer. (at 50k, i take my time). Went home to do online research on the explorer.

Wife likes the GMC Terrain . Spend time at the Gm dealership too. Convinced her that explorer is the way to go, being A planner and all ,

Decided to pull the trigger on a loaded Limited.

Back to Ford dealer....spend 1 1/2 hours there while salesman tried to do a dealer trade on several units he found that fit our list of options.

No luck. We left to drive around all the ford dealers, just to see what there is available on lots.All explorers we seen where either black or white. No thanks.

Back to "our" dealer, and ordered a explorer just the way we want it even though we by now knew there will be a 12 week wait. ( or longer) which takes the fun right out of it as far as i am concerned, but still better then buying another brand.

Dealer calls next day to inform me, that ford did not accept the order.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????

I'm in awe.......W. T. F.........

I'm just pissed...

Wife is pissed....

When my wife is pissed i dont get lucky....

I'm still pissed....

Wife ended up getting her way

2011 GMC Terrain

GM 1

Ford 0

Not to mention that we spend a considerable amount of time and gas also on this explorer fiasco.

Edited by Pete

Wife and i spend 4 hours at a ford dealership last week, driving and looking hard at the 2011 explorer. (at 50k, i take my time). Went home to do online research on the explorer.

Wife likes the GMC Terrain . Spend time at the Gm dealership too. Convinced her that explorer is the way to go, being A planner and all ,

Decided to pull the trigger on a loaded Limited.

Back to Ford dealer....spend 1 1/2 hours there while salesman tried to do a dealer trade on several units he found that fit our list of options.

No luck. We left to drive around all the ford dealers, just to see what there is available on lots.All explorers we seen where either black or white. No thanks.

Back to "our" dealer, and ordered a explorer just the way we want it even though we by now knew there will be a 12 week wait. ( or longer) which takes the fun right out of it as far as i am concerned, but still better then buying another brand.

Dealer calls next day to inform me, that ford did not accept the order.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????

I'm in awe.......W. T. F.........

I'm just pissed...

Wife is pissed....

When my wife is pissed i dont get lucky....

I'm still pissed....

Wife ended up getting her way

2011 GMC Terrain

GM 1

Ford 0

Not to mention that we spend a considerable amount of time and gas also on this explorer fiasco.

Why wasn't it accepted? Was it due to color? There is a parts shortage for colors due to the earthquke and tsunami in Japan and they aren't accepting orders for certain colors any more (tuxedo black, some reds). If that's the case, buying a vehicle in a non-preferred color is much better than buying a non-preferred vehicle. Had you handled it calmly, I'm sure the issue could have been resolved. Your loss I guess.

Any time a Dealer enters a vehicle order via the CONCEPS online ordering system, the order is either accepted or an error notice is displayed detailing any order errors, restrictions, commodity issues, etc.

The paint availability issues related to the situation in Japan have been restricted to Tuxedo Black Metallic and several red paints on a number of Ford vehicles. Ford has been sending paint availability updates to Dealers on a regular basis so that Dealers know what paints are at risk of not being scheduled. In many cases, the paints in question have been restricted to retail orders in order to give priority to customer orders while the colors in question are still available.

Our Dealership has not had a 2011 Explorer available in stock since the very first vehicle arrived which was sold and delivered within 48 hours. Since then, every 2011 Explorer received was a retail order placed for a specific customer. Most retail orders have been received within 6 weeks and only a few older orders were received late due to shipping delays.

I hope that this helps answer any questions that either the original poster or others may have had.

Apparently the order was not accepted is because there are to many orders in for the 2011,s. They are going to start the 2012's soon. How soon he did not say.

What he did say was that he had 4 explorers allready ordered for customers and when he talked with ford on the phone, they would not take my order for reasons mentioned above.

In fact we had 2 colors we liked

First choice was kona blue

Second was silver

After being told we can not order a 2011, I asked if we then can order a 2012 and the answer was "NO". Not accepting orders for 2012 either.

I DID handle it calmly! I don't see how the issue could have been resolved with a explorer in my garage. Not exactly a huge color choice available . Matter of fact there are not many loaded ones other then black ones around here (checked dealer inventory online up to 3 hour drive from here, knowing that that might not list accurate stock) and drove through every ford dealer lot to see whats there before we tried to order the explorer

In any case.....it is for my wife and she had her way and got what she originally wanted. I was simply trying to keep her with ford.

If we where told that we can not have a certain color because of supply problems, would be one thing but flat out being told "NO"..... that's another. I realize that i could have got on on my knees and begged for a while and been more reasonable and calm. !?

I had 19 fords over the years and never ran into anything like this before. I find it amazingly ridiculous.

Not my loss at all. Definitely ford's loss though.

I'm done venting......

Edited by Pete

Cut off date for municipal oders is 5/27 and it is subject to change.. They do not have a date for 2012 orders so what they told you was accurate. If they have more than enough orders to keep the lines buzy until that date, why would they accept an order they might not be able to fill? That certainly isn'y going to keep the customer happy.

Edited by rscalzo

My dealer had located 3 Kona blue explorers that where close to what we wanted. Matter of fact, one was. Dealer made 3 calls while we where sitting in front of him. All 3 would not trade. I would not buy from another dealership. I gone through a bunch of them in the past and the one i bought my last 6 fords from is where i am staying for now.

Maby ford has shuttered to many plants and is now experiencing capacity problems.

Just loosing one explorer sale, i am sure ford dont even care about, but then why would they....

STAP is producing all CV police units, Cabs and a pile of Lincolns...think 96,000 units last year. Both car lines are discontinued this September.

Potential loss of sales is great. I see more and more Dodge and GM cop cars lately.

Times are good for ford....making t he big bucks again......for right now!

I know that dealerships are independent businesses, but they represent Ford! Ford should encourage and contract them to work together to move vehicles. If a vehicle is available then it should be available, regardless of its location.

NOT acceptable: Not accepting a order under any circumstances. And your dealer of choice not being able to get a unit located at another ford lot.

Acceptable: We can not build you a 2011 but can we build you a 2012 ?

I have been a ford employee since 1972. I am very much interested in ford's success.

I honestly do not know how many people i send ford's way in the past and have discouraged everybody from purchasing imports, even if they are screwed together locally.

No matter how one chooses to spin a issue such as this one. Bottom line is that it annoys potential customers which just might end up behind the wheel of a import. Choices are plentiful.

In today's market, one has to stand out, not stand back.

So let me get this straight........

The 2011 Explorers are selling so well that the 2011 production run has already been sold, and you think that Ford doesn't want to sell Explorers? You think Ford should double production capacity so it has too many vehicles sitting on lots that require huge incentives to get rid of?

And to top it off, you could have bought exactly the one you wanted from another dealer but you chose not to? And still you want to blame Ford? How ridiculous.

Blame all the customers like you who want a new Explorer. Blame yourself for not ordering earlier. But don't blame Ford because they made a successful vehicle.

• Like 1

And your dealer of choice not being able to get a unit located at another ford lot.

Go to your local Best Buy store and tell them you want to buy a Sony TV that's currently in stock at a Fry's store down the street. Dealers are totally independent businesses. They work together when it benefits both of them. To expect otherwise is ignorant.

My dealer had located 3 Kona blue explorers that where close to what we wanted. Matter of fact, one was. Dealer made 3 calls while we where sitting in front of him. All 3 would not trade. I would not buy from another dealership. I gone through a bunch of them in the past and the one i bought my last 6 fords from is where i am staying for now.

Maby ford has shuttered to many plants and is now experiencing capacity problems.

Just loosing one explorer sale, i am sure ford dont even care about, but then why would they....

STAP is producing all CV police units, Cabs and a pile of Lincolns...think 96,000 units last year. Both car lines are discontinued this September.

Potential loss of sales is great. I see more and more Dodge and GM cop cars lately.

Times are good for ford....making t he big bucks again......for right now!

Just a comment on the CVPI, because I have driven one 44hrs a week for the past 23 years.

Probably the best piece of equipment I have used on a daily basis, but getting long in the tooth and time to retire the legacy panther platform.

I hope everyone understands it was the impending Federal roof crush standards that forced Ford to discontinue the CVPI not just a corporate decision.

I have been involved in the new Interceptor (s) development and can tell you the GM Caprice and the Dodge Charger are nice but not even close to the two new Ford Interceptors. This isn't lip service this is from someone who has driven all 4 vehicles.

Dodge build is legendary for poor quality, ask any agency that has bought some to test. Ask them what they think of them after a year in service.

GM Caprice looks pretty but as a poster said above, its built in Australia, and they're not selling very many so the platform may not support itself. When asked about parts and service GM has very little information. Telling customers the floorshifter is something THEY will have to deal with is arrogance beyond belief in my opinion.

The deal breaker for many is safety, only the Ford vehicles are 75MPH rear crash rated.

The Ford Ride and Drives are changing a lot of opinions right now.

Apparently the order was not accepted is because there are to many orders in for the 2011,s. They are going to start the 2012's soon. How soon he did not say.

What he did say was that he had 4 explorers allready ordered for customers and when he talked with ford on the phone, they would not take my order for reasons mentioned above.

In fact we had 2 colors we liked

First choice was kona blue

Second was silver

After being told we can not order a 2011, I asked if we then can order a 2012 and the answer was "NO". Not accepting orders for 2012 either.

I DID handle it calmly! I don't see how the issue could have been resolved with a explorer in my garage. Not exactly a huge color choice available . Matter of fact there are not many loaded ones other then black ones around here (checked dealer inventory online up to 3 hour drive from here, knowing that that might not list accurate stock) and drove through every ford dealer lot to see whats there before we tried to order the explorer

In any case.....it is for my wife and she had her way and got what she originally wanted. I was simply trying to keep her with ford.

If we where told that we can not have a certain color because of supply problems, would be one thing but flat out being told "NO"..... that's another. I realize that i could have got on on my knees and begged for a while and been more reasonable and calm. !?

I had 19 fords over the years and never ran into anything like this before. I find it amazingly ridiculous.

Not my loss at all. Definitely ford's loss though.

I'm done venting......

Here's my 2 cents..:hysterical:

1. Sometimes that is the way business is. The right product can not get to the customer in the manner the customer wants.

2. How does your wife like the new GMC? That's the important issue to focus in on.:hysterical: She got what she wanted and I'm sure pleasing your wife is more important then buying a Ford product.... Right...?:worm: And God forbid if you talked her into an Explorer and it had issues.

I've been there before..:talkhand:

3. You should post on here more often.:shades:

So let me get this straight........

The 2011 Explorers are selling so well that the 2011 production run has already been sold, and you think that Ford doesn't want to sell Explorers? You think Ford should double production capacity so it has too many vehicles sitting on lots that require huge incentives to get rid of?

And to top it off, you could have bought exactly the one you wanted from another dealer but you chose not to? And still you want to blame Ford? How ridiculous.

Blame all the customers like you who want a new Explorer. Blame yourself for not ordering earlier. But don't blame Ford because they made a successful vehicle.

WOW.....

First off, that's correct.....Ford did not want to sell me a explorer. They did in fact turn my offer to order down.We where willing to order the 2012, but that too was not a option.

If they do not make vehicles available to all customers,( for whatever the reason might be) customers in turn can not buy them. It's that simple!

To suggest , not getting the unit we wanted at a dealer that is known for lousy service (which is also my own experience), as being ridiculous, is ridiculous in its own right.

Blaming myself for not ordering earlier is just as ridiculous of a statement and doesn't make any sense either.

To mettech

All your points are valid. As far as #3. I'd never catch up to your 3314 posts.

Wife is happy with her GMC. I, in turn would prefer only fords in my garage like it has been for the last 35 years. oh well.

I just hope my wife does not get to like GM products to much and possibly want another GM after this one.

I thank everyone for your reply's. Creative or not.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

They did in fact turn my offer to order down.We where willing to order the 2012, but that too was not a option.

The dealer could easily take a deposit and order a 2012 when the order banks open.

To suggest , not getting the unit we wanted at a dealer that is known for lousy service (which is also my own experience), as being ridiculous, is ridiculous in its own right.

You don't have to get service where you buy the vehicle so this is a ridiculous statement.

Blaming myself for not ordering earlier is just as ridiculous of a statement and doesn't make any sense either.

It makes just as much sense as blaming Ford for running out of 2011s and not buying the vehicle you want because it's at another dealer.

You don't have to get service where you buy the vehicle so this is a ridiculous statement.

Agreed. All else being equal, you really didn't need to worry about where to buy it as long as they have the vehicle. Not sure why people stay loyal to companies when most are just out there to make a buck. Yes, some do build relationships but at the end of the day, they maintain the relationships for the revenue.

There are a bunch of people who are buying Explorers where they can and buying the extended warranty online through one particular dealership who is only selling them for $100 over cost. Like any other rare cars or rare Christmas toys, if you really wanted it, you should've found a way.

not getting the unit we wanted at a dealer that is known for lousy service (which is also my own experience), as being ridiculous, is ridiculous in its own right.

That statement has no valitity to it. You could have easily purchased the vehicle from the dealer that had it in stock. Service could then be done at your prefered dealer.

They did in fact turn my offer to order down.We where willing to order the 2012

They didn't turn your order down, they refused every 2012 order. Agencies here in NJ cannot order and are being told the 2012 date is unknown. These are dealers that orders in the hundred from single agencies.

i flew one way 600 miles and drove my new Ex back home....just sayin. see there's this thing called the internet, you can FIND what you want!!!! and then, you go get it!

but hey you got a cool government motors vehicle now.

Pete,

You didn't say what your wife liked about the GMC. I did an extensive search of all the (smaller) 3rd row seat SUVs. While the GMC/Chevy twins offered good ride quality, the lack of technology was just inexcusable. Having to press the trip reset stalk to get to the VERY few display options, instantly kicked it down the list. Not even on the same planet as MyFord Touch and the Explorer's displays.

In the end, hopefully the wife is happy and you're scoring again. ( :whipped: in the good way)

Ford is in the process of scheduling the final 2011 Explorer orders now with the cut off date for fleet orders being 04/22/2011. The 2012 Explorer Order Bank was scheduled to open on 05/08/2011 but the 2012 Explorer Order Guide has not yet been released to Dealers. 2012 Explorer scheduling is set to start on 06/16/2011 with a Job #1 Date being 07/18/2011.

• Like 1

Ford is in the process of scheduling the final 2011 Explorer orders now with the cut off date for fleet orders being 04/22/2011. The 2012 Explorer Order Bank was scheduled to open on 05/08/2011 but the 2012 Explorer Order Guide has not yet been released to Dealers. 2012 Explorer scheduling is set to start on 06/16/2011 with a Job #1 Date being 07/18/2011.

Not possible. Didn't you hear? Ford doesn't want to sell any Explorers.

Pete,

You didn't say what your wife liked about the GMC. I did an extensive search of all the (smaller) 3rd row seat SUVs. While the GMC/Chevy twins offered good ride quality, the lack of technology was just inexcusable. Having to press the trip reset stalk to get to the VERY few display options, instantly kicked it down the list. Not even on the same planet as MyFord Touch and the Explorer's displays.

In the end, hopefully the wife is happy and you're scoring again. ( :whipped: in the good way)

She likes the look of it most of all and i must admit that the Terrain is easy on the eyes. Looks very good. Rides good. Not bad for a GMC. I do not drive it. I have a 2008 MKZ and a 2010 F150 to pick from, of which the MKZ will be replaced this fall/Winter. I been looking at the MKS and it also does not have all the high-tech stuff the EX has. Missing the high-tech stuff in the Terrain the EX has is fine with me too. Less to screw up. We where never after the 3rd row seats to begin with, so we do not miss them. After all there is only the two of us. This would have been our fourth EX. Just wasn't meant to be.

In any case, we're past the EX. Her brother works for GM which got her a good price. All is well.

Yup...wife is happy and so am I.

Have a great day

Pete

Edited by Pete