GM finished bottom in JD Power Survey 2011 in Europe

Thats like my analogy with Hyundai...some people are doing kart wheels because the kid with Down Syndrome finally got a "C".... But I agree, in relation to mechanical reliability, the showings weren't too good. The Ka looks like Crap. Their Fusion is that "B" platform CUV thingy, which I know is getting old. The Kuga look good but there's better. The Focus looked good, but there was better. Mondeo was eh, ok. I'm just hoping that reliability have been the Focus of the new "One Ford" vehicles we will be receiving.

Jelly's title is misleading, this is JD Powers UK Vehicle Ownership Satisfaction Study not Europe

Real link http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/news/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2011044

The really puzzling thing with you Brits JM, is the constant complaining about Fords, but your nation keeps making them the

most popular brand in the UK.

And your WhatCar plasters their website with their Asian loving vibes all the time, but still Asian cars sales in the UK stink.

So what is going on in the UK, is it some sickness that Brits love to buy cars that piss them off, or is it the few Asian car owners are easily satisfied?

Year after year if UK customers love fest with Lexus is a reality then why do you Brits buy about 5 (sarcasm) Lexus a year. :redcard: :

Edited by MKII

Jelly's title is misleading, this is JD Powers UK Vehicle Ownership Satisfaction Study not Europe

Real link http://businesscente...aspx?ID=2011044

The really puzzling thing with you Brits JM, is the constant complaining about Fords, but your nation keeps making them the

most popular brand in the UK.

And your WhatCar plasters their website with their Asian loving vibes all the time, but still Asian cars sales in the UK stink.

So what is going on in the UK, is it some sickness that Brits love to buy cars that piss them off, or is it the few Asian car owners are easily satisfied?

Year after year if UK customers love fest with Lexus, but you Brits buy about 5 (sarcasm) Lexus a year. :redcard: :

You are a very misleading Mk2 Ford used to be No1 with 32% market share with RWD in the UK with nobody even close to them in the UK, Ford with got knocked off the top spot in February this year just 11.9% market share for the first time in few decades, Fords market share has been on a constant slow decline in the UK over the last its was up over 16% when l first started posting on BON . You and nobody on BON are going to get away with writing pretentious claims here, Ford 32% British market share at No1 has dwindled away to 11.9% Market Share February this year.

Brits as a nation made Ford No1 with 33,000-55,000 sales of Cortina's every August not a 1,000 Mondeo's (Low volume BMW RWD 3 series sad to say now outsells the useless Mundaneo in the UK) , Ford have been trading on its name of the past in the UK (Company fleet buyers have alway gone for Focus's & Mondeo's mainly diesels based on the bomb proof reliability easy to maintain cheap parts of great Ford cars of the past like the Cortina, but even this is dwindling away to companies like Renault who are stealing Fords bread & butter business that is fleet car sales. Only the good looking Fiesta & Transit break the mould and are bringing more new Ford buyers into the fold in the UK, the Fiesta appeals highly to both private & fleet buyers it can do both and get away with it without any loss of residual values.

What car don't tell its readers what to, how to rate their information they have a mind of their own mark up their experience "as they find" with their current ride in the JD Power Survey. What Car are a very neutral Pro Ford if anything, as are Auto Express and don't fill in the JD Power Survey feedback forms for its magazines you are being very pretentious to consider they do.

99.9% of Brits can't afford to buy a Lexus or a Rolls Royce to buy new, company fleets & government car fleets prop up Ford sales in the UK, the average Brit private buyer now buys his Ford second hand can't afford to buy new unless it is something appealing like the Fiesta good or high value quality Skoda or a second rate Kia/Hyundia (that you alway regret after buying) the average take home pay shop working like Tesco, Walmart & McDonaldlds Burger King mainly service sector jobs won't stretch to buying new Mondeo's sad to say Mk2 unless they are living at home for free off of Bank of Mum & Dad, but even then it will be an ex second hand Alamo or Hertz Mondeo fleet car, ex government/fleet dumped at the Car Giant Supermarket or Blackbushe the largest car auction site in Europe..

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Thats like my analogy with Hyundai...some people are doing kart wheels because the kid with Down Syndrome finally got a "C".... But I agree, in relation to mechanical reliability, the showings weren't too good. The Ka looks like Crap. Their Fusion is that "B" platform CUV thingy, which I know is getting old. The Kuga look good but there's better. The Focus looked good, but there was better. Mondeo was eh, ok. I'm just hoping that reliability have been the Focus of the new "One Ford" vehicles we will be receiving.

A bit unkind comparing a Hyundai to a kid with down syndrome Antaus thats an insult to down syndrome, l know a few kids with the condition. But they do look like they were designed by a thick bastard skool swat that tries to hard gets poor results, that swots 24 hours a day, misses the Super Bowl final due to they have to swot to achieve a "C", has no personality or character at all, last person you want to get stuck in a lift with they would bore you shitless, if you sit next to them to copy their work in an exam you would instantly fail. Prefer something like a Stang with bags of personality that does not try to hard would go to or watch the Super Bowl, do next to no swotting up and still passes exams with flying colors.

You save a few bucks when you buy a Hyundai/Kia, the moment you get it home you regret it for the rest of your ownership for being such a cheapskate what a mistake, reality sets in the saving of a few bucks novelty wears off as you have to start living with the pile of Korean shit. If only l splashed out a few extra bucks saved up a bit more for something a bit decent, a bit more worthwhile at the time.

Ford's Ka is a great little car, it should be doing a lot better. I think it is let down big time by its very garish colored centre instrument console it would make me feel positively absolutely sick & ill everytime got inside a Ka, Fiats 500 does it with italian flair & classic elegance inside. Ford's Ka would be a very hard car to live with as many Brits like taking the piss out of small cars, but the insipid garish centre console would be the straw that broke the camels back of most owners when they complete the JD Power survey, cars like the Fiat 500 gets away with it because its a bit of a cutie and it is got an easier to live with classic italian charm & styling on the inside as well. Ford Ka is a great little car let down big time by a garish crap interior thats hard to live with, makes you feel ill to look at, live with.

Could you face getting into a Ka & face looking at this every day?

Ford%20Ka.jpg

In Britain, Ford had a market-leading April 2011, share of 14.6 per cent - an increase of by 1.1 ppts on April 2010. The only company in the game with Ford in UK is Vauxhall, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia and Mazda around 2-4% bottom feeders. And VW is the 3rd strongest with around 8%. These are new car sales making these numbers Jelly, not used ones.

http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/news/press-releases/press-releases-detail/pr-ford-of-europe-gains-market-share-34618

My comment about WhatCar is based on its reader base whom are the ones that are surveyed in these JDPower/WhatCar surveys.

Ever read what the posters are sayinng in your UK based automotive review websites?

I have never seen so much anti Ford bashing in my life, even worse then the lads that comment in leftlanenews.com, truthaboutcar.com etc etc.

My impressions of Ford UK weakness in your market is terrible dealership/service experience, and I think this has to do with Ford being #1 in the UK for so long, the mentality in the

Ford dealerships and service departments sucks. Which shows in the star ratings shown in your WhatCar/JDPower article

In Britain, Ford had a market-leading April 2011, share of 14.6 per cent - an increase of by 1.1 ppts on April 2010. The only company in the game with Ford in UK is Vauxhall, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia and Mazda around 2-4% bottom feeders. And VW is the 3rd strongest with around 8%. These are new car sales making these numbers Jelly, not used ones.

http://corporate.for...ket-share-34618

My comment about WhatCar is based on its reader base whom are the ones that are surveyed in these JDPower/WhatCar surveys.

Ever read what the posters are sayinng in your UK based automotive review websites?

I have never seen so much anti Ford bashing in my life, even worse then the lads that comment in leftlanenews.com, truthaboutcar.com etc etc.

My impressions of Ford UK weakness in your market is terrible dealership/service experience, and I think this has to do with Ford being #1 in the UK for so long, the mentality in the

Ford dealerships and service departments sucks. Which shows in the star ratings shown in your WhatCar/JDPower article

Ford was No1 had 32% market share in the early 80's thats good, when l started posting on BON a few years ago Fords were still No 1 in the UK but Market Share had dropped from 32% to 16% not so good. and today you say it is 14%. If you go to SMMT website you will find in February 2011 it was 11.9% and Ford were No2 in the UK (First time time since British leyland in the early 70's). Fords UK market share has been eroding year on year. VW & Vauxhall saleused to be a million miles away from Ford UK now numbers are beating or very close to Ford UK's every month.

What Car is the best selling magazine (Which is good but not as popular) first port of call most UK buyers look for detailed information on new cars, if you compare the What Car reports/reviews they give Ford very high ratings, the owners of JD Powers Survey is filled in by the owners of Ford cars, it has nothing at all to do What Car reader base. It's magazine is aimed at the buyers of "ALL" makes of cars looking to buy a new car, l would say its biased to Ford as they are the market leaders but they will tell you they are not.

If What Car are Ford bashers why do they rate most Ford cars as top 5 star rated MMMmmmm bashing them with kindness? Its Fords customers experiences in the JD Power Survey that have produced these car bashing results as you describe them, not What Car they are the provider to enable the JD Power Survey. Ford has been trading on its past reputation for so long, the Cortina really did blast every fleet car out the market place but Fords market share has been eroding away year on year in the UK, the good looking stunning Fiesta has reversed saved Ford fortunes a lot but the trend is still downwards for Fords UK market share sad to say.

Only saving grace to Fords declining market share is Brits prefer to buy cars from an American owned company (Answer to British Sickness you mentioned in post 5) as we now have no British Leyland left to buy (

) and would prefer not to buy German, Japanese or French brands. Thats why Lincoln would do very well if they set up shop & started selling here, providing they came with a diesel option and left the gas guzzling gasoline models Stateside, BMW & Mercedes sale would be knocked for six in the UK (JDP can explain the term) UK is both Fords & GM's biggest markets in Europe this sickness that you mentioned in post 5 can not be beaten we prefer American brands no other European country even comes close to our sickness the hatred of white flag waving froggies, spinless waps & crought ve are de master races cars ..

You have a good point MKII Ford Dealer/Service looks crap in the JD Power Survey, only the Kuga does well. But the KA get 2 stars for everything, Fiat 500 moves along the same production line as the KA in Poland using similar shared components & comes out smelling of roses in the JD Power Survey. MMMmm love is blind it must be the mojo factor.

Ford's JDP scores throughout Europe are consistently lower than they are stateside. Six years or so ago, they were on a par. Ford's NA manufacturing ops have since implemented new processes and achieved dramatically higher scores. It does not appear to me that Ford's EU plants have implemented these processes.

Joe Hinrichs, who oversaw several of these new processes in NA is now the global manufacturing czar. Hopefully that means we'll be seeing an improvement in Europe as well.

• Like 1

Your absolutely right Richard, UK is the biggest market for both Ford and GM in Europe and their second biggest market is Germany where Opel, Chevrolet & Ford all finish near or at the bottom of the latest 2010 German JD Power Survey.

LINK

It's not so much the manufacturing processes though Richard that wants fixing, the dealers/service & vehicle appeal want looking into the S-Max was the only 5 star with any appeal in the entire Ford range, and that was just for its interior.

I found this passage very interesting:

Engine and transmission-related problems have a particularly strong adverse impact on perceived quality—and,

ultimately, a vehicle owner's loyalty. Even a single engine or transmission problem may drive customers from a

brand, as more than 20 percent of vehicle owners who experience one or more engine or transmission problems

say they "probably will not" or "definitely will not" buy the brand again.

Now there's a huge lesson for manufacturers, make your power train is reliable or suffer the consequences,

just one unfortunate experience can cause a significant numbers of buyers writing off your products.

Most buyers expect faultless operation of power train during and beyond the warranty period,

I don't think that's too much to ask and manufacturers should be making this a priority.

Vehicles sold in Europe tend to be more expensive than elsewhere and this is why

people probably feel aggrieved when niggling faults occur with their vehicles,

quality expectations and cost are definitely more closely linked in Europe.

Edited by jpd80

Only thing l find the most worrying for GM & Ford in Europe is the average age of these UK "NEW" car buyers in the JD Power Survey - 51 Years Old.

1951111951302.jpg

It's fair to say that anybody who grew up driving in the

s 32% UK market share when most folk of a certain age group got well and truly hooked on Fords for life, everybody up my road who buys NEW are over 60 or retired & mainly Focuses, 50-60 year olds RWD Mercs & Beemers, most 30-50 year olds buy second hand ex Ford government owned or ex Ford company fleet/rental cars that are half the price & couple of years old. Most under 30's mostly don't drive, my daughter (31) & none of her friends own a car they are not interested in cars. Under 25's are mainly jobless or load paid have no disposable income & more into global warming prefer alcohol & clubbing than wanting to own cars.

Both GM & Fords biggest market in Europe is Great Britain, if the UK car sales catches a cold it impacts on FOE & GM Europe bigtime. Wonder what will happen to GM & Ford sales in Europe when the "noughties" generation hit 51 years Old (Bikini's, Mini, Maxi skirts come in & out of fashion like the latest new Stangs & F-Series Stateside, in the UK has bugger all the cars just get more frumpy dull & boring with every new model naughties generation probably see a Ka or Mundaneo as the equivalent of taking your Great Grannies best mate out on a date for a roasting on the Jerry Springer show apart from the Fiesta Ford has nothing that appeals to the young at all & ZERO fun RWD cars for folk that want to buy them from Ford).. Company fleet/rentalls sales will be as good as it gets when the noughties hit 51.

Ford's JDP scores throughout Europe are consistently lower than they are stateside. Six years or so ago, they were on a par. Ford's NA manufacturing ops have since implemented new processes and achieved dramatically higher scores. It does not appear to me that Ford's EU plants have implemented these processes.

Joe Hinrichs, who oversaw several of these new processes in NA is now the global manufacturing czar. Hopefully that means we'll be seeing an improvement in Europe as well.

Fixed "Ford's JDP scores throughout Europe UK, Germany, France are consistently lower than they are stateside"

My ownership experience with Ford Europe products has been very good , but with no problems I cannot comment on experience with how well my local Ford service department or Ford Europe deals with unresolved issues etc.

But from reading feed back from Ford customers in UK, German, Netherlands (Holland) the negative repeated over and over is the lack of customer service from both dealership and Ford Europe when problems arise. How problems are dealt with are vital to a consumers attitude towards that product.

That said there is a sense that One Ford is working on making changes in Ford Europe lack of customer service and down the line to the dealership level to give a crap about the customer. Slow process but I feel when this issue is improved across the board Ford EU scores will improve.

Fixed "Ford's JDP scores throughout Europe UK, Germany, France are consistently lower than they are stateside"

My ownership experience with Ford Europe products has been very good , but with no problems I cannot comment on experience with how well my local Ford service department or Ford Europe deals with unresolved issues etc.

But from reading feed back from Ford customers in UK, German, Netherlands (Holland) the negative repeated over and over is the lack of customer service from both dealership and Ford Europe when problems arise. How problems are dealt with are vital to a consumers attitude towards that product.

That said there is a sense that One Ford is working on making changes in Ford Europe lack of customer service and down the line to the dealership level to give a crap about the customer. Slow process but I feel when this issue is improved across the board Ford EU scores will improve.

I bet JD Power surveys are banned in Italy by Fiat, l be they got sent a horses head from the Mafia. Ford's Focus CC convertible that was "made in Italy" roof leaked like sieve. Focus owners never needed a bath when they got home from a trip out in their Italian made mobile bathtub.

My two old Ford are as reliable as time Ford parts supply for them are crap l don't ever bother with the Parts Department anymore its a waste of time. They are dead easy to service, so l service them myself would normally have it done quicker in time than the time it takes for my local Ford dealer to get a courtesy car out to my house, won't ever know what customer service is like these days as Ford UK don't stock anything RWD to buy. So its all ME the customers fault?

Here the MINI finished 5th http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/news/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2011044

Here the MINI is dead last in 3 year dependability :

http://dbmini.us/mini-dead-last-in-jd-powers-dependability/

Both are from JD Powers. I too was worried when looking at the Fords of the UK, but the methodology is different.

Edited by timmm55

Those Fords were pretty consistently below average in 'mechanical reliability'.

Actually the Fiesta and Kuga were well above with 4 stars.

Mondeo, Focus and Max were average (3 stars)

Only the KA and Galaxy were rates with 2 stars...........neither of which will make it over here anyway, and the KA is a Fiat underneath anyway.

Here the MINI finished 5th http://businesscente...aspx?ID=2011044

Here the MINI is dead last in 3 year dependability :

http://dbmini.us/min...-dependability/

Both are from JD Powers. I too was worried when looking at the Fords of the UK, but the methodology is different.

Gotta admit the Mini look a bit duff Stateside Timmmmm5.

Wonder why there is such a contrast Mini's fortunes? l owned have two Mk1 Mini's and they were both duff as well (Never again). My wife likes & would like to buy a new Mini or a Pug 207 diesel, but hopefully l will help push the her into buying a new Fiesta later this year, as l have hired one for our weeks holiday in Cyprus which will be a secret test drive for her.

I too was worried when looking at the Fords of the UK, but the methodology is different.

The EU survey is a combination of the various separately reported US surveys (APEAL, IQS, CSI, VDS). Scoring low on the EU JDP survey is nothing to shrug off.

Edited by RichardJensen

The EU survey is a combination of the various separately reported US surveys (APEAL, IQS, CSI, VDS). Scoring low on the EU JDP survey is nothing to shrug off.

No of course not. Ford has done a lot of work to improve quality (US Mustang, Fusion and Focus have all improved dramatically). They shouldn't just "shrug off" US quality in favor of European product. If it's just to make a "One Ford" it's a mistake.

If there is a difference in the surveys then it makes sense. Does the US survey include dealership experience? That's something Ford has limited control in.

Dealer experience is a component in the APEAL and CSI surveys (more so the CSI than APEAL).

I think ACSI http://www.acsimatters.com/2010/09/20/gm-and-ford-make-headlines-where%E2%80%99s-chrysler-2/ has more cred than JD Powers CSI http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2010-Customer-Service-Index-Study/page-3/

About the study

The 2010 (JD POWERS) CSI Study is based on responses from more than 114,200 owners and lessees of 2005 to 2009 model-year vehicles. The study was fielded between October and December 2009.

How are ACSI data collected?

ACSI surveys customers of companies and users of government services randomly via telephone and email. Potential respondents are asked questions about their purchase and use of specific products and services bought within specified, recent time periods (these periods vary according to the product or service). Those who qualify as respondents are then asked from which company or which brand they have purchased, and responses to the ACSI survey questions are coded as a customer interview for that company. The ACSI score for each company is based on a sample of 250 customer interviews, with more than 70,000 interviews conducted annually.

While JDP has a larger base ACSI is more in depth.