Chevy Impala owners file class-action suit against GM

TomServo92

The Detroit News is reporting that a group of Chevrolet Impala owners have filed a class-action lawsuit against General Motors over claims that the automaker addressed rear-end alignment issues on law enforcement 2007-2008 Impala models, but not vehicles owned by the public at large. The suit claims that a defect in the design of the rear spindle rods on the sedans causes the vehicle to wear through rear tires at an accelerated rate. Currently, only one owner is named in the litigation.

Source

I just love class action lawsuits. By the time the lawyers are done, everyone will end up with a coupon for a free oil change and the fees to lawyers will be 100's of thousands of dollars.

Depends on what the suit is asking for. I would think in this case, the plaintiffs will be asking that GM apply the same repairs to their vehicles that they did to the PI versions. If that is what they are awarded, then I think the suit did its job. Of course, the lawyers will still rake in their ridiculous fees, but sometimes a class-action actually does some good. In the end, it also may make GM think twice about doing something similar in the future.

Depends on what the suit is asking for. I would think in this case, the plaintiffs will be asking that GM apply the same repairs to their vehicles that they did to the PI versions. If that is what they are awarded, then I think the suit did its job. Of course, the lawyers will still rake in their ridiculous fees, but sometimes a class-action actually does some good. In the end, it also may make GM think twice about doing something similar in the future.

Agreed - it may do some good. IMHO, class actions lawsuits are nonsense 95% of the time, and benefit only the lawyers. The question I guess is really, is this part of our legal system worth it for the 5% of the time in those participating in the class action (affected)? Or, does it need to be changed so lawyers can't rake it outrageous fees as part of the (class action) settlement?

We all pay part of these fees when we buy products produced by the company nailed in the class action.

This is what happens when an outdated, ancient car design is stretched beyond its limit and useable life. GM has tried to make the old mid size W platform into a full sized car and police vehicle. Should have taken the Aurora platform and made a 'newer Impala/Lumina' instead.