No Discussion needed

frdtuff

What is there to discuss about FORDS competition other than Fords are not built with our tax dollars.

I dont mind it. Do the research, foreign car companies are all subsidized by their home government to various degrees. The Koreans are probably the worst. That means for decades American manufacturers have been competing against the combined resources of foreign governments backing those companies. Add to that our own government leaving the home teams unprotected while foreign governments shield their markets from American manufacturers.

• Like 1

Point out where Ford beats the:

3. Toyota Camry – 80%

3. Toyota Avalon – 80%

3. Honda Accord – 80%

For 2011 MY, I think the Explorer is the only Ford product with a higher percentage of USA parts content (actually USA & Canada, per AALA guidelines) with 85%.

WOW! Am I the only one who bleeds Blue & shits oval. I have been driving Fords & have worked at Ford Dealers for over 30 years. I am PROUD Ford did not take a goverment bail out. I was a Ford Master Tech for 12 years until the economy tanked & Ford closed dealers in my area.

• Like 1

Even if a foreign vehicle maker has 80% USA content, they can put most of the vehicle profit on the remaining 20% of the parts and avoid corporate taxes here. The profit goes back to the homeland where they get favorable tax treatment.

How is that for Corporate Citizenship?

Even if a foreign vehicle maker has 80% USA content, they can put most of the vehicle profit on the remaining 20% of the parts and avoid corporate taxes here. The profit goes back to the homeland where they get favorable tax treatment.

How is that for Corporate Citizenship?

So why should someone in China buy a Ford when the profits are going back to the U.S.? Or any foreign country for that matter?

Face it, it's a global industry. Should Ford only succeed in it's home market and not abroad? No. Other manufacturers aren't going that route either.

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 3

On the domestic contents debate and Japan supply issues. Below is a quote from a Tundra site I frequent.

Almost all of Toyota's parts problems were caused by a lack of computer chips - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704050204576218710838251784.html

Toyota, Honda, et al buy most of their chips from Japan. As you can imagine, it's not easy to spool up a new chip manufacturer overnight, nor is it easy to buy replacements on the open market.

Another good link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110627/OEM01/306279964/1128&template=printart

Edited by V8-X

Motor Trend

Point out where Ford beats the:

3. Toyota Camry – 80%

3. Toyota Avalon – 80%

3. Honda Accord – 80%

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/top-cars-north-american-parts-content-67627.html#ixzz1RnCvwKGC

Ichiro Suzuki plays 100% of his baseball in the USA, that does not make him American.

You guys just don't get it. When a US corporation goes overseas it is there for one reason and one reason only - to bring home as much profit as it can on the least amount of cost. But somehow, when a Japanese or Korean company does the same thing here, they are considered heroes! The Japanese and Koreans are here simply to make as much money as they can, not to see how many Americans they can employ and be good neighbors.

Ichiro Suzuki plays 100% of his baseball in the USA, that does not make him American.

You guys just don't get it. When a US corporation goes overseas it is there for one reason and one reason only - to bring home as much profit as it can on the least amount of cost. But somehow, when a Japanese or Korean company does the same thing here, they are considered heroes! The Japanese and Koreans are here simply to make as much money as they can, not to see how many Americans they can employ and be good neighbors.

That may be true but in the process they do employ a lot of americans and if ford would have more US content they would employ a lot more americans it is all about US jobs or we will be headed deeper in the toilet than we r now!!

That may be true but in the process they do employ a lot of americans and if ford would have more US content they would employ a lot more americans it is all about US jobs or we will be headed deeper in the toilet than we r now!!

Many of the suppliers to US assembled Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans are Japanese owned as well: GST Auto leather, NTN Bearing, Bodine Casting, II Stanley, TG Missouri, TRD, and many more - Japanese owned suppliers operating in the US. This in turn is reported as US content very misleading. I recently listened to a podcast by an economics professor from the U of Chicago that said so much of our economy is foreign owned, that our traditional GDP is no longer a valid measurement of economic activity. The reason being is that the foreign corporations take the profits out of the USA. Net result, our paltry GDP numbers are actually grossly overstated! No wonder our economy can't recover.

A Japanese car assembled in the US rated high in domestic content is another public relations shell game being played to miss-lead consumers. Again- they are not here to see how nice they can be to Americans, they are here to take as much from us as possible with the smallest amount of cost incurred.

Just look at it this way If Ford were ever allowed into the Japanese market, would a Ford assembled in Japan made up of parts from American suppliers operating in that country be considered a Japanese car? Never! So it can't be true the other way around.

Edited by Kev-Mo

Many of the suppliers to US assembled Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans are Japanese owned as well: GST Auto leather, NTN Bearing, Bodine Casting, II Stanley, TG Missouri, TRD, and many more - Japanese owned suppliers operating in the US. This in turn is reported as US content – very misleading. I recently listened to a podcast by an economics professor from the U of Chicago that said so much of our economy is foreign owned, that our traditional GDP is no longer a valid measurement of economic activity. The reason being is that the foreign corporations take the profits out of the USA. Net result, our paltry GDP numbers are actually grossly overstated! No wonder our economy can't recover.

A Japanese car assembled in the US rated high in domestic content is another public relations shell game being played to miss-lead consumers. Again- they are not here to see how nice they can be to Americans, they are here to take as much from us as possible with the smallest amount of cost incurred.

Just look at it this way – If Ford were ever allowed into the Japanese market, would a Ford assembled in Japan made up of parts from American suppliers operating in that country be considered a Japanese car? Never! So it can't be true the other way around.

This is all true but my only point is even the foreign owned suppliers employ american workers, just take the f-150 for example if it had 80% american content imagine how many jobs that would make plus keeping the dollars in the USA.. If the US can not create jobs our economy will never recover :sos:

This is all true but my only point is even the foreign owned suppliers employ american workers, just take the f-150 for example if it had 80% american content imagine how many jobs that would make plus keeping the dollars in the USA.. If the US can not create jobs our economy will never recover :sos:

Blame your government - they literally forced American manufacturing to go south of the border when they signed NAFTA into law. Under that law, content of vehicle from Mexico and Canada is the same as from the USA. It is a bad trade agreement.

Blame your government - they literally forced American manufacturing to go south of the border when they signed NAFTA into law. Under that law, content of vehicle from Mexico and Canada is the same as from the USA. It is a bad trade agreement.

The Government did not force any manufacturer to make products in Mexico............certainly not literally.

How can you explain the Cruze and Focus being USA built?

NAFDA made it more attractive to be sure.

The Government did not force any manufacturer to make products in Mexico............certainly not literally.

How can you explain the Cruze and Focus being USA built?

NAFDA made it more attractive to be sure.

The Focus actually moved FROM Mexico back to the U.S.