F-150 Raptor Owners Report Frame Problems

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Fault is it?

• Design Flaw
    • User Abuse

If people really want to flog their Raptor without bending the truck in half, they need to install a bed and cab roll cage. Not to mention that any idiot doing this to their truck is likely to die when they roll-it without a cage (probably just as well, Darwinism is an elegant solution).

Edited by BORG

There is no 'Raptor competitor'! You can't compare a Jeep Rubicon to a Raptor other than the fact that they are both built to go off-road. The Raptor is designed for high-speed running whereas the Jeep is more for rock-crawling and other "slow" off-roading. Obviously, more sh*t happens at the high rate of speed Raptors are subjected to...

designed for? apparently not. or it must be a design or production flaw,

more to come on this one,

Edited by kpc655
  • Like 1

designed for? apparently not. or it must be a design or production flaw,

more to come on this one,

High speed running is relative to the Jeep. Looks like these folks that are damaging their Raptors have gone past high-speed running to ULTRA high-speed running and going too fast for conditions, even in a Raptor.

I am by no means a engineer, but I was thinking also, if you made the frame stronger in that area, what would be the next thing to break. Without making the suspension taller, the bumpers would still hit and something would have to give.

This is the problem. If Ford re-inforces that section of frame, someone does this and an axle snaps or bends, then they will say there is a design flaw in the axle. Beef up the axle, then something else snaps. It's inevitable these days that no one can take responsibility for themselves and their actions.

Well Ford did run a slightly modifed Raptor in the Baja, the biggest difference was fitting shocks with more travel and safety concerns

And that there is part of the problem. How many of the owners who purchased a Raptor, simply watched the video? How many actually read all the details, including the modifications made to the Raptor? They just see the truck and say "I can do that" with out any common sense. Another lacking attribute by many today.

Good heavens! Who does that to a new, $40k truck? :banghead:

People with too much $$$ to blow. Then again, they still whine when they break it.

Know your equipment. Know the terrain. Did they know either of these? If they did, they didn't respect it ...

And that is part of the problem. They had an inexperienced person scout the track, and the lead truck never reported back to other drivers for dangerous areas, even after he bent his frame. Basically you have the blind leading the blind on these courses. It's all fun, until someone breaks their truck and wants Ford to foot the bill.

These guys are just running bat shit wild out there without a clue. Even full blown sponsored trophy trucks whould have taken a beating with those hits.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Too bad these owners simply don't realize that.

ford does need to fix this..ford built the raptor for what a grocery getter mobile?

No, Ford built the Raptor for high-speed off-roading, but like just about everything else, it's not moron-proof. It seems that people with room-temp IQ's have trouble comprehending this simple fact. Are you one of 'em? :)

• Like 1

No, Ford built the Raptor for high-speed off-roading, but like just about everything else, it's not moron-proof. It seems that people with room-temp IQ's have trouble comprehending this simple fact. Are you one of 'em? :)

yes and we built an ICBM for peace..ford had to have known this would happen..may be have the new owner sign a disclaimer saying we aint goin fix the shit you bust doing stupid things...weak frames..must be the new chinese steel ford is using.....

Interesting find. That Tundra HQ article is quite informative. I didn't realize that Chrysler offers an "off-road use warranty policy" for its Raptor competitor, as noted in this sentence:

If this statement is indeed true, and Jeep Rubicons do not exhibit the type of damage from off-road use that some Ford Raptor trucks have incurred, then I vote 'Design Flaw'.

Ha..gotta love it..I AGREE..the most capable off road-off the showroom floor vehicle you can buy..raptor just aint got it i guess..are there problems with the rubicon...sure (dana 44's that aint really dana 44's, transfer case gearing can be an issue for many..damn 16 inch rims, weak ass plating that wont survive the rocks)..but bent frames aint one of em....gotta love this..all i heard for months was how tuff the raptor is built..now this

ps:..my IH scout still is best..damn thing goes up telephone poles..

yes and we built an ICBM for peace..ford had to have known this would happen..may be have the new owner sign a disclaimer saying we aint goin fix the shit you bust doing stupid things...weak frames..must be the new chinese steel ford is using.....

The warranty basically says they aren't going to fix anything broken by doing stupid things.

There is no 'Raptor competitor'! You can't compare a Jeep Rubicon to a Raptor other than the fact that they are both built to go off-road. The Raptor is designed for high-speed running whereas the Jeep is more for rock-crawling and other "slow" off-roading. Obviously, more sh*t happens at the high rate of speed Raptors are subjected to...

wrong on many levels..the rubicon WILL NOT survive rocks in stock form (the plating is way below par)..rubicon is not much different than the raptor when compared to off raod trail hopping..the jeep can be built with only one major NO-NO that a raptor could have...that is no rear electric locker on a wheel base in the double digits...hell IH won the baja 500 at least twice..my guess is the raptor prolly had a boat load of reinforcement to run the baja..so the morons tried to replicate at the local jump and bust park which now allows us to see the limits of a raptor in stock dress..ie:aint that tuff..

Don't feed the troll.

oh come on..if you aint built a rig than all your comments about the rubicon and others are going to be very stupid..hell yes the raptor can be trashed about and built into a world class off road vehicle...no the raptor is not my choice for a crawler due to some basic fundamental issues..we all know those owners beat the living hell out of a stock raptor which finally caused it to break..hell you can beat the stock rubicon to shit as well...my scout (1977 super scout) in stock form would not survive the trashing these guys inflicted either (scout would need some serious mods)...and yes i know about fords warranty....

• Like 1

my guess is the raptor prolly had a boat load of reinforcement to run the baja..so the morons tried to replicate at the local jump and bust park which now allows us to see the limits of a raptor in stock dress..ie:aint that tuff..

Your guess is wrong, only thing that was changed was the shocks (improved travel) and Safety equipment

The Raptor R uses mostly stock components that will come on the production Raptor, including the transmission, brakes, axles, rear spring hangers and frame. It's powered by a specially calibrated 500-horsepower version of Ford's new 6.2-liter V-8 engine, and it sports a beefed up Fox Racing suspension."The race truck has even more suspension travel, better approach and departure angles, more horsepower, more ground clearance, and full racing specification seats, safety cage and harnesses, all of which combine to make an even faster, more visceral offroad experience," said Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief nameplate engineer.

oh come on..if you aint built a rig than all your comments about the rubicon and others are going to be very stupid..hell yes the raptor can be trashed about and built into a world class off road vehicle...no the raptor is not my choice for a crawler due to some basic fundamental issues..we all know those owners beat the living hell out of a stock raptor which finally caused it to break..hell you can beat the stock rubicon to shit as well...my scout (1977 super scout) in stock form would not survive the trashing these guys inflicted either (scout would need some serious mods)...and yes i know about fords warranty....

So why did you say Ford needs to fix it?

Troll.

Your guess is wrong, only thing that was changed was the shocks (improved travel) and Safety equipment

How do you get better approach and departure angles if you ONLY change the shocks? It says they put on a beefed up Fox racing suspension.

ps:..my IH scout still is best..damn thing goes up telephone poles..

@ 0.001 MPH.

Hell, my F250 will go up telephone poles...I just have to hook to them to pull them out of the ground or push them over first.

...no the raptor is not my choice for a crawler due to some basic fundamental issues..

Ummm, I don't think anyone is saying the Raptor should be a crawler. That's not what it is built for.

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

well OK..if thats what they said...no doubt on the shock change...im not sure i 100% agree but its all water under the bridge now..

Randompics188.jpg

Edited by snooter

How do you get better approach and departure angles if you ONLY change the shocks? It says they put on a beefed up Fox racing suspension.

im glad you are thinking..its marketing hype....more than the shocks were changed..again its not worth arguing..we all know those 8 guys trashed that truck in an environment it was never meant to operate