Ford 2.0L Ecoboost Explorer Sets SUV Fuel Efficiency Standard

Ford Explorer Sets New Standard for SUV Fuel Efficiency

FRD2010121055912_PV.jpg

• The completely reinvented Ford Explorer powered by EcoBoost® delivers a class-leading EPA rating of 28 mpg on the highway, besting Honda Pilot by more than 20 percent and Toyota Highlander by 12 percent

• The hot-selling Ford Explorer – the 2011 North American Truck of the Year – has already doubled 2010 Explorer model year sales volume, with Ford seeing the strongest customer preference for well-equipped, range-topping models

• EcoBoost engine technology combines turbocharging and direct fuel injection on smaller engines to provide customers the power they want with the fuel efficiency they need

Ford Ecoboost Forum – Ford’s hot-selling Explorer is now the most fuel-efficient seven-passenger SUV on the market, delivering an EPA-certified 28 mpg on the highway with an all-new 2.0-liter EcoBoost® engine. This is the first application of this advanced engine in North America.

“Today’s SUV buyers place a high priority on miles per gallon, so Explorer has expanded its portfolio of fuel-efficient engines with an all-new EcoBoost offering,” said Amy Marentic, Ford group marketing manager. “SUV buyers deserve economy with their capability, so Explorer now offers best-in-class V6 and four-cylinder fuel efficiency.”

Building on Explorer’s current class-leading V6 fuel efficiency, the addition of EcoBoost power and a 28 mpg highway rating now puts Explorer over the top. On the highway, Explorer now beats Honda Pilot and Jeep Grand Cherokee by 5 mpg, Chevrolet Traverse by 4 mpg and Toyota Highlander by 3 mpg.

Delivering best-in-class fuel efficiency in both V6 and EcoBoost variants, the full-size, three-row Explorer with EcoBoost even delivers better highway fuel efficiency than the compact Subaru Impreza (1 mpg better), while matching the most efficient gas-powered BMW 3-Series.

Now launching in the Explorer, this advanced EcoBoost four-cylinder engine provides the optimum balance between fuel efficiency and responsive power, delivering 240 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and a generous 270 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,000 rpm.

Ford’s new 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine combines gasoline direct injection and turbocharging with smaller overall displacement, delivering comparable power to a standard V6 engine while delivering the fuel efficiency of a four-cylinder engine. Ford holds more than 125 patents on its EcoBoost engine technology.

EcoBoost is a global Ford strategy to provide affordable fuel efficiency for millions of drivers while also delivering the power they desire. EcoBoost will be offered on 90 percent of Ford nameplates by 2013.

FRD2010072583774_PV.jpg

The combination of superior fuel efficiency and ample responsiveness is enabled by direct gasoline injection and twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT). Efficiency is further enhanced through employment of low-friction 5W-GF5 motor oil, a variable-displacement air conditioning compressor, electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) and a unique 6F35 six-speed automatic transmission developed to reduce friction and increase efficiency.

The Explorer with its standard V6 delivers up to 17 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway to lead the full-size V6 SUV segment in fuel efficiency. The Explorer with EcoBoost continues this class-leading fuel efficiency momentum delivering 20 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.

Explorer fuel efficiency also benefits from a smooth vehicle shape and careful aerodynamic detailing like optimization of the front air dam and rear liftgate spoiler lip, as well as lightweight components such as an aluminum hood.

In the first six months of 2011, Explorer sales totaled 65,823 vehicles. This figure exceeds the full-year 2010 total of 60,687 Explorers. More than half of early buyers of the redesigned 2011 Explorer cited fuel efficiency as a primary motivation in their purchase decision. Moreover, the majority of customers are choosing better-equipped XLT and Limited series models.

The 2012 Explorer is assembled at Ford’s Chicago Assembly Plant.

So how is Ford getting away with this blatant lie.

KIA Sorento 7 passenger is rated 22 city/ 32highway

Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4wd is rated 28 in the city for God's sake.

Gee. Welcome back.

Could it be that the Sorento is in a different EPA size class? I'm sure the 7-passenger RAV4 is more efficient too. :finger:

And the Highlander Hybrid also offers an EPA rated 28 mpg highway, which is no better than the Explorer. Ford claims their 28 mpg highway is class-leading. It is. It is equal to another vehicle which is class-leading also. They make no claim that the city mileage is class-leading. No "blatent lie" here.

The only somewhat questionable line is " Ford’s hot-selling Explorer is now the most fuel-efficient seven-passenger SUV on the market". I think this one is more a matter of semantics though. Ford calls the Explorer an SUV. Kia calls the Sorento a CUV. :shrug:

Quit trying to stir the pot.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

So how is Ford getting away with this blatant lie.

KIA Sorento 7 passenger is rated 22 city/ 32highway

Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4wd is rated 28 in the city for God's sake.

FYI - my parents have a 2011 Sorento and the thing is a POS - in the shop 5 times since Jan. They are getting 18-19MPG with the 4Cyl, mostly city driving.

After buying a '11 FWD Explorer Limited V6 for towing my boat, I would definitely buy a 2.0 Ecoboost if I didn't need the tow package. I get great MPG out of my V6, but I don't need all that HP for most of my driving needs. The driving pleasure and handling was such an improvement over any vehicle I've ever owned, folks should really love the Ecoboost mileage improvements.

When Ford first said the 2.0L Ecoboost was going to be in the '11 Explorer, they said it required premium fuel, does anyone know if this is a fact still? Ford said the '11 Explorer V6 would be Flex Fuel and it's not.

When Ford first said the 2.0L Ecoboost was going to be in the '11 Explorer, they said it required premium fuel, does anyone know if this is a fact still? Ford said the '11 Explorer V6 would be Flex Fuel and it's not.

I don't believe Ford ever said the 2.0L ecoboost required premium. It's definitely not true now - it runs fine on 87.

I don't remember Ford saying the V6 would be Flex Fuel either. Where did you see this?

I don't believe Ford ever said the 2.0L ecoboost required premium. It's definitely not true now - it runs fine on 87.

I don't remember Ford saying the V6 would be Flex Fuel either. Where did you see this?

When the first News of the '11 Explorer came out 7/26/10, everything I read regarding fuel said the new Explorer 3.5L was going to be flex fuel and the 2.0L Ecoboost ran on premium. Here is one article that made that mistake about the Police Interceptor in Sep. 2010:

"In addition to a new look and equipment upgrades, the Police Interceptors will provide at least a 20 percent improvement in fuel economy over the Crown Vic, which has a 4.6-liter V8, and will be E85-capable. The new Police Interceptor utility vehicle has a 3.5-liter V6 engine making 280 horsepower, and a six-speed automatic transmission."

http://www.insideline.com/ford/explorer/2011/2011-ford-police-interceptor-utility-vehicle-reports-for-duty.html

Has soon as a dealer stock Explorer was delivered in January, I took my wife to see what it looked like. That's when I first seen the cap less fuel fill marked No E20 or E85.

A few people at Greenhybrid.com seen articles that said the '12 Focus was flex fuel and it's not also.

I ordered my Explorer 8/10/10 thinking it was flex fuel, but really didn't care because I've never seen E85 stations in Florida where I live. Besides, I think ethanol is a big government rip off anyway.

When the first News of the '11 Explorer came out 7/26/10, everything I read regarding fuel said the new Explorer 3.5L was going to be flex fuel and the 2.0L Ecoboost ran on premium. Here is one article that made that mistake about the Police Interceptor in Sep. 2010:

"In addition to a new look and equipment upgrades, the Police Interceptors will provide at least a 20 percent improvement in fuel economy over the Crown Vic, which has a 4.6-liter V8, and will be E85-capable. The new Police Interceptor utility vehicle has a 3.5-liter V6 engine making 280 horsepower, and a six-speed automatic transmission."

http://www.insideline.com/ford/explorer/2011/2011-ford-police-interceptor-utility-vehicle-reports-for-duty.html

Has soon as a dealer stock Explorer was delivered in January, I took my wife to see what it looked like. That's when I first seen the cap less fuel fill marked No E20 or E85.

A few people at Greenhybrid.com seen articles that said the '12 Focus was flex fuel and it's not also.

I ordered my Explorer 8/10/10 thinking it was flex fuel, but really didn't care because I've never seen E85 stations in Florida where I live. Besides, I think ethanol is a big government rip off anyway.

It's possible that the flex fuel version will only be available in the PI version.

It's possible that the flex fuel version will only be available in the PI version.

I've seen newer articles that the 2012 PI will be a available with a 3.5L 280hp flex-fuel engine and a 3.7L 300hp engine.

Here is an article that confirms the new 2.0L EB will run regular gas and why it beats the competition.:

"The EPA has finished testing the Explorer’s new 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, and Ford has released the numbers: the Explorer EcoBoost will achieve 28 mpg on the highway, one fewer than originally projected but three more than the base engine. Like its competitors, the turbo I4 drinks regular unleaded fuel, so don’t expect to spend more money to use less gas.

This puts the front-wheel-drive EcoBoost Explorer near the top of its segment for fuel economy: it’s only bested by four-cylinder forms of the Kia Sorento and Mitsubishi Outlander, both of which carry smaller, normally-aspirated four-cylinder engines, are smaller vehicles, and weigh significantly less: the base Outlander weighs in at about 3400 pounds, 1100 pounds fewer than the Explorer. They also pack far less power. The new EcoBoost is good for 240 hp at 5,500 rpm and 270 lb-ft of torque available at 3,000 rpm; Both the Sorento and Outlander have roughly 170 hp.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2012-ford-explorer-ecoboost-2-0-liter-rated-at-20-city-28-highway-101681.html#ixzz1U5AttZRI

http://wot.motortrend.com/2012-ford-explorer-ecoboost-2-0-liter-rated-at-20-city-28-highway-101681.html

Also, originally Ford said the 2.0L EB would only have 250 lb-ft and now they're saying 270 lb-ft of torque. A big jump!

Toyota should do a commercial calling out Ford for the blatant lie.

Again, the Explorer has the best highway fuel economy of any 7-passenger vehicle in its class. No lie there. The Highlander Hybrid is also best in class.

In the case of this Highlander, there can be more than one. :P

Now, don't you have a rock you need to crawl back under?

• Like 1

Again, the Explorer has the best highway fuel economy of any 7-passenger vehicle in its class. No lie there. The Highlander Hybrid is also best in class.

In the case of this Highlander, there can be more than one. :P

Now, don't you have a rock you need to crawl back under?

The Highlander Hybrid is a flop at this point regarding a hybrid. The Ford Escape Hybrid (FEH) is the closes it can be compared to, not the '11 or '12 Explorer. My '09 FEH Limited weighs as much as my '11 Explorer 3.5L V6 Limited and gets twice the MPG as the Highlander Hybrid. The third row seats in the Highlander Hybrid is a joke.

Toyota has been driven off a cliff by Ford, they just have not seen that sudden stop at the bottom yet!

The Highlander Hybrid is a flop at this point regarding a hybrid. The Ford Escape Hybrid (FEH) is the closes it can be compared to, not the '11 or '12 Explorer. My '09 FEH Limited weighs as much as my '11 Explorer 3.5L V6 Limited and gets twice the MPG as the Highlander Hybrid. The third row seats in the Highlander Hybrid is a joke.

Toyota has been driven off a cliff by Ford, they just have not seen that sudden stop at the bottom yet!

LOL, keep drinking your kool-aid.

LOL, keep drinking your kool-aid.

Just take a look at my Lifetime MPG and tell me I don't know how to pick a HYBRID or Explorer:

'09 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited - http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=2612

2011 3.5L Explorer Limited - http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=3644

I looked at and drove the Highlander Hybrid and said no thank you!

I'm also sure I could drive the 2012 Explorer 2.0 EcoBoost and the Highlander Hybrid FWD and get much better MPG in the Explorer than the Highlander. My Explorer is what my wife drives to work in the city. Driving the Explorer just by myself, I was getting 28-29mpg with 100% A/C with the V6. The EcoBoost has the right stuff for 40mpg IMO. You might want to try some of my kool-aid.

Oh, I bought my 19 year old son a '12 Focus SEL and by himself, he has increased his MPG to a Lifetime MPG of 33.4mpg in mostly short trips and city driving:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=3644 Come to think of it, someone has been drinking my kool-aid here at home!

Ford has the better IDEAS now!