89 FORD COUNTRY SQUIRE WAGON HELP

My 71 year old neighbor has a very nice always garaged 1989 Country Squire wagon 5.0 with AOD. It has 87,000 miles on it. He was complaining that it has been doing strange things, so I took it out for a drive. It starts right up and throttle is responsive and it pulls well, but when its in third or overdrive it has a huge deadspot in the throttle.

When you get the gas pedal half way down it downshifts and goes. When its in first or second it is very responsive and I am sure its not slipping in third It just has a dead pedal. Any thoughts? I put a code reader on it and it has no codes and no check engine lite. Thanks

My 71 year old neighbor has a very nice always garaged 1989 Country Squire wagon 5.0 with AOD. It has 87,000 miles on it. He was complaining that it has been doing strange things, so I took it out for a drive. It starts right up and throttle is responsive and it pulls well, but when its in third or overdrive it has a huge deadspot in the throttle.

When you get the gas pedal half way down it downshifts and goes. When its in first or second it is very responsive and I am sure its not slipping in third It just has a dead pedal. Any thoughts? I put a code reader on it and it has no codes and no check engine lite. Thanks

When you say first or second, I am assuming that you are talking about the manual positions on the shifter. You are probably having issues with the TV cable adjustment. More specifically, you probably have a rotted bushing for the TV cable at the throttle body. The transmission WILL fail if not adjusted properly, and this setup has a lot of issues with the bushing. There is a brass bushing kit to replace the nylon turd that always fails. On the throttle body, there are three cables that should be there: foot feed cable, cruise cable and the TV cable.

• 3 months later...

awful late reply, but it sounds like maybe just the throttle position sensor...the tps went bad on my 89 mark vii and the usual 'cruise' spot in the pedal was dead- a little more or less pedal it ran fine. its mounted on the throttle body, right up top, a couple torx headed screws on the sensor(like 30 bucks at autozone) is all there is to changing it- no adjustments required...

• 1 year later...

When you say first or second, I am assuming that you are talking about the manual positions on the shifter. You are probably having issues with the TV cable adjustment. More specifically, you probably have a rotted bushing for the TV cable at the throttle body. The transmission WILL fail if not adjusted properly, and this setup has a lot of issues with the bushing. There is a brass bushing kit to replace the nylon turd that always fails. On the throttle body, there are three cables that should be there: foot feed cable, cruise cable and the TV cable.

Yeah, that has always been a notorious problem for those late 80's 5.0L motors. Had a couple Town Cars in the past that did the same thing.

Also, you should replace the PCV valve that is on the rear of the motor underneath the intake manifold. A notorious spot for oil leaks!

...just from my experience.