Lincoln MKT NO Start Issue

cjm173

I have a 2010 MKT with the 3.7liter engine. We have had several no start incidents. when you press the brake and the push button start nothing happens. (there is also no radio, no a/c or anything coming on on the cluster.) The car was towed to the dealer. They duplicated the problem once but can not find the problem. Anyone with any similar problems?

I did own a 2009 Flex that had the same problem. It did not register any problems in the system . The problem would come and go without any pattern . I discovered on Ford Flex.net that other owners had this problem ,and after the dealer replaced the starter relay ; .the problem was solved . It fixed my problem,and it never came back. Since the flex is a sister to the MKT ,this might also be your solution.

• 5 years later...

Ok, I literally joined this forum to relay the following experience on the MKT no start issues I've had. I bought the 2010 MKT Ecoboost used almost 2 years ago. I had to have it towed 5 times thorughout the first 18 months because, randomly, the car would not start. I always had power to everything else - radio, climate control, etc. but no starting. The first 2 times this happened, it rolled off the tow truck into the lot, the technician came out and it started up without a problem. We all hate when that happens...

Then, the 3rd time, the dealer actually had the same no-start issue and fiddled with the relays under the hood. The car then fired up. He claimed that the relay was not seated properly. Then, a couple months later, bingo, it happens again. So I took each relay out and re-seated them without any luck. Car would still not start. I had it towed. The tech replaced a wire harness though I cannot tell you where. I looked for any sign of new wiring or tape but never did find anything.

Now, fast-forward to #5 - last week. I went to the dealer to pick up the MKT (which just had a new engine installed). It would not start. The tech wiggled the relay and some wires between the battery and starter. It fired right up. However, when we turned it off and tried again, no start. He hooked up his computer and pinged every system and found no faults. So, he spent the afternoon going through the system. He finally found that one of the terminals on the actual starter was loose and causing a short to occur sporadically. He replaced the starter and I have had no issues since. Yeah, I know...it's only been a few days so we'll have to wait and see but, trust me, this tech from VanBortel Ford was seriously determined to find the problem as I had told him this was an ongoing issue. I honestly have no reason to doubt that he figured out the problem and, for lack of a better summary, he chased this ghost out of my system.

I've seen several folks in various forums with this same issue so I am very excited to let you all know to have your technician take a look at the terminals on the starter before giving up.