Explorer VS Durango commercial

Good commercial, funny...

but they always say if you're attacking the opponent in your ads it means you're behind. Ever notice how Ford never directly attacks it's competitors? and then there are the ads about man steps and heated steering wheels from chevy.. Yeah, I want to buy the chevy because it has less features.. okay. :confused:

Also note that the explorer is only spinning the front wheels.. obviously the Durango is in a 4 wheel and they put it up against a FWD explorer.

Honestly if I was in the market for this type of vehicle I would opt for the durango or cherokee because of the drivetrain layout, but the market seems to be choosing the explorer! I wish things could have worked out that explorer could've merged with Territory and we could have had a RWD explorer and the taurus/falcon could have merged.. and we could have gotten a ranger replacement out of the platform as well as a Bronco even, but it's all water under the bridge now and the new explorer seems to be doing really well, despite my doubts and the doubts of others about a FWD car platform.

Actually the front wheels on the explorer were not spinning. It looks like it is in park and just got drug along. Had the explorer been trying, one traction was broke, the tires would be spinning like crazy. To me I think its a pissing contest commercial. If you are going to try and show how much better your product is, you should at least make it a real test.

Even Chevy HD to HD crap is at least a some what real test.

I thought this was a great ad. Nice job Dodge. I think the only thing the Explorer has to counter is the fuel economy line.

In Australia we have Cherokee up against Ford Territory, both vehicles come with RWD and AWD as well as gasoline and diesle engines.

The diesel Cherokee is almost as quick off the mark as a the 4.7 V8 but is nowhere near as thirsty.

Diesel RWD Territory gets 36 US mpg on light cruise.....and can tow up to 6,000 lbs with ease.

I hope US manufacturers embrace diesel engines for larger SUVs and crossovers as I believe they are better

suited for that market and could compete with a premium price against the likes of hybrids and EVs.

The second commercial was pretty funny.

The first, yeah kinda funny........but it looked totally rigged. Was the guy in the explorer even trying? His tires weren't even spinning.

They were actually stopped ---- skidding with the brakes applied

While it's true that a RWD SUV will tow much better, they don't perform as well on winter roads which is a huge consideration for

SUV owners in the snow belt which is where most of the population lives, those that want to tow would probably buy an AWD.

Gotta take it all in humor, sales of Durango Vs Explorer for July 2011?

Durango.......5,364

Grand Cherokee ........9,499

Explorer........9,897

Edited by jpd80

The first one is dumb. It doesn't prove anything. As far as the second one is concerned I believe Ford offers an SUV that will out tow any Chrysler SUV. If people are going to be spending most of their time towing they would be much happier with an Expedition. Now where is the 5.0 and EcoBoost V6 Ford? Those would be really nice additions to the Expedtion.

Actually the front wheels on the explorer were not spinning. It looks like it is in park and just got drug along. Had the explorer been trying, one traction was broke, the tires would be spinning like crazy. To me I think its a pissing contest commercial. If you are going to try and show how much better your product is, you should at least make it a real test.

Even Chevy HD to HD crap is at least a some what real test.

Hey tech, I suspect the tires were not "spinning like crazy" because of the traction control system.

Hey tech, I suspect the tires were not "spinning like crazy" because of the traction control system.

Actually, the traction control detects wheel slippage. So the wheels would at least slip some before assist kicks in. It works in a pulsation of brakes and cutting power. If it was trying you would see slip stop slip stop.

It really doesn't matter. A real tug of weighs more on traction than power. Now I would rather see a 4x4 match between both when actually trying. The durango may still out pul, at least it wouldn't be smoke and mirrors.

Edited by fordtech1

The first one is dumb. It doesn't prove anything. As far as the second one is concerned I believe Ford offers an SUV that will out tow any Chrysler SUV. If people are going to be spending most of their time towing they would be much happier with an Expedition. Now where is the 5.0 and EcoBoost V6 Ford? Those would be really nice additions to the Expedtion.

Do you know what the mpg rating on the Durango is? I wonder how close the EB Expedition would be to it in mpgs, now that would make a good commercial! Expy pulling the Durango all over the place and still getting better mpgs! ha!

Do you know what the mpg rating on the Durango is? I wonder how close the EB Expedition would be to it in mpgs, now that would make a good commercial! Expy pulling the Durango all over the place and still getting better mpgs! ha!

Interesting that Dodge fail to mention best in class fuel economy, seems they have a real problem there......

An AWD EB V6 would surpass their V8 fuel economy, probably give 16/23 same as Flex.....

Expedition with EB V6 and 5.0/6.2 V8s would put the big SUV back in front of potential buyers.

Durango RWD

V6 16/23 mpg

V8 14/20 mpg

Durango AWD

V6 16/22 mpg

V8 13/20 mpg

Explorer FWD

V6 20/28

Explorer AWD

V6 17/23

Edited by jpd80

Interesting that Dodge fail to mention best in class fuel economy, seems they have a real problem there......

An AWD EB V6 would surpass their V8 fuel economy, probably give 16/23 same as Flex.....

Expedition with EB V6 and 5.0/6.2 V8s would put the big SUV back in front of potential buyers.

Durango RWD

V6 16/23 mpg

V8 14/20 mpg

Durango AWD

V6 16/22 mpg

V8 13/20 mpg

Explorer FWD

V6 20/28

Explorer AWD

V6 17/23

FWD Explorer is 17/.25.

One thing I have been wondering all along is why Ford didn't use the 3.7 in the Explorer? I am assuming it was for fuel economy considerations, but it is interesting that they used it in the Mustang and even Edge Sport, but not in the much heavier Explorer.

To simplify builds with just one engine, the good 3.5 V6 with 290 hp to see them through until EB 2.0 arrives.

I guess that Ford figured the economy and power mix of the 3.5 was best balance for Explorer's demographic...

Would love to see LWB Explorer EL and AWD 3.7 V6, I think the added length would draw a few more conquest sales...