Dumb move on Ford's part. Scalzo's suggestion is a good one- I have seen just about every news channel I watch including the Networks and Fox giving the story coverage. What a lost opportunity..."our old car was the vehicle of choice-our new one will be too"

I remember painting your car like it was yesterday and following it thru the plant ,wish I knew where it was today.

I remember painting your car like it was yesterday and following it thru the plant ,wish I knew where it was today.

Me too! I left my e-mail address in the owner's manual, but never heard from anyone. My guess is its overseas. the one that I had before the 07 was sold by one of my kids. The used car mag hit the stores in the afternoon and by 630 that night he had some guy on the phone in a thick foreign accent say.."how much you want for Crown Vic- I send truck right now".. And he did- an hour later a ramp truck shows up. My son says to the driver.."Let me get you the snow tires" and driver says.."forget it, won't need them where this is going" the car had I think 216,000 on it but it still looked great.

There are a couple of black Sports in this area but mine was recognizable by the Hela fogs I put in the fascia. In any case I never get tired of telling the story about my "signature CV" and everyone gets a kick out of it.

• Like 1

Either way, I hope it is something special and not end up getting sold as a fleet sale like the last Grand Marquis.

One day, when the bulk of these cars have been ruined by aftermarket tuners, and they are collected as the last great American road car, this will be seen as a stupid move by Ford.

• Like 1

In speaking with the members of the Ford Police Advisory Board (PAB) the information I had was that the last police vehicles (CVPI) built would be on August 31st.

The last one for Canadian Police was being delivered to OPP for their museum.

The last one for US Police was being delivered to Kansas Highway Patrol for their museum.

Both are members of the Ford PAB.

Then after that, 2 weeks of building civilian version Crown Victoria's for customers in the United Arab Emerites.

TopGun can you confirm?

P.S. Also a special thanks to those employees at the St Thomas Plant for their hard work and commitment to Law Enforcement. I drive a 2011 CVPI 4 days a week and wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 1

In speaking with the members of the Ford Police Advisory Board (PAB) the information I had was that the last police vehicles (CVPI) built would be on August 31st.

The last one for US Police was being delivered to Kansas Highway Patrol for their museum.

Then after that, 2 weeks of building civilian version Crown Victoria's for customers in the United Arab Emerites.

TopGun can you confirm?

P.S. Also a special thanks to those employees at the St Thomas Plant for their hard work and commitment to Law Enforcement. I drive a 2011 CVPI 4 days a week and wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes last police units were to be built and off line as of August 31,as after they do not meet safety standards in USA come Sept 1st. The last Canadian OPP car was destined for their museum, the last US version..... I don't know, I heard it was a CHIP unit headed to California for their compound. The last 2 weeks were cars ALL destined for Export to Saudi Arabia as 2012 models. No one seems to know who is going to get that last unit. I tried to get a build sheet but they seemed to have all disappeared .

Yes last police units were to be built and off line as of August 31,as after they do not meet safety standards in USA come Sept 1st. The last Canadian OPP car was destined for their museum, the last US version..... I don't know, I heard it was a CHIP unit headed to California for their compound. The last 2 weeks were cars ALL destined for Export to Saudi Arabia as 2012 models. No one seems to know who is going to get that last unit. I tried to get a build sheet but they seemed to have all disappeared .

Topgun, The units being built for the GGC area, are they sports? From a video I saw, it appears that the last unit had bucket seats, but I can't see a console. The video is low quality....

To all the STAP employees, Thanks for your hard work at building what I think is Fords best vehicle, the panther platform. I have owned a 90 TC, 99 CV, 2000 CV, and a 2004 Sport.

The 90 TC and 2000 CV are gone, via accidents. I must say, other then a engine for the 99 at 115K (my wife ran it out of oil, 1/2 quart), both panthers have been touble free. The 99 is at 200k, and the sport 75K.

The 2004 sport had only A/C issues, the auto A/C fan transistor's ground for the blower motor burnt thru the printed circuit board. Repaired it with #10 gauge wire bypassing the PCB. The other issue was the Automatic Temp Control head, unable to control A/C ducts. I ended up replacing it, at a cost of $499, MSRP: $649. After I had ordered it, I found out that I could have repaired it for less than a buck. Hidden "O" rings on the solenoids.

• Like 1

Topgun, The units being built for the GGC area, are they sports? From a video I saw, it appears that the last unit had bucket seats, but I can't see a console. The video is low quality....

To all the STAP employees, Thanks for your hard work at building what I think is Fords best vehicle, the panther platform. I have owned a 90 TC, 99 CV, 2000 CV, and a 2004 Sport.

The 90 TC and 2000 CV are gone, via accidents. I must say, other then a engine for the 99 at 115K (my wife ran it out of oil, 1/2 quart), both panthers have been touble free. The 99 is at 200k, and the sport 75K.

The 2004 sport had only A/C issues, the auto A/C fan transistor's ground for the blower motor burnt thru the printed circuit board. Repaired it with #10 gauge wire bypassing the PCB. The other issue was the Automatic Temp Control head, unable to control A/C ducts. I ended up replacing it, at a cost of $499, MSRP: $649. After I had ordered it, I found out that I could have repaired it for less than a buck. Hidden "O" rings on the solenoids.

All cars that go to the Middle East are bucket seats ,no armrests and no console, they have always been that way that I know of. What does GGC stand for?

All cars that go to the Middle East are bucket seats ,no armrests and no console, they have always been that way that I know of. What does GGC stand for?

Its stands for Greater Gulf Countries as I recall. In the Ford parts system, it is used to designate the Middle East. Once I ordered a right hand mirror for a F150, and when I opened the box, the writing on the mirror was in Arabic. Our local parts dealer sells to a lot of Middle East customers, mostly wholesale.

Off the top of your head, how many cars were made in the last two weeks?

And the so called Federal safety issue that Ford used to shut down the CV, for US use, does that also apply to the TC to your knowledge? If I recall right it was suppose to be a roof strength issue for the CV, during a roll-over.

Its funny, cause I was involved in a single car accident while doing 70 MPH in the hills in central California. According to the eye witnesses, the car rolled end over end, front of car first, then continued until it rolled over from the passenger side and landed on its wheels again. It continued moving up hill, until it finally stopped. The right side of the car was the most damaged area. All of the doors opened, except for the front passenger door. The roof had some signs of buckling, but was still sound.

Its stands for Greater Gulf Countries as I recall. In the Ford parts system, it is used to designate the Middle East. Once I ordered a right hand mirror for a F150, and when I opened the box, the writing on the mirror was in Arabic. Our local parts dealer sells to a lot of Middle East customers, mostly wholesale.

And the so called Federal safety issue that Ford used to shut down the CV, for US use, does that also apply to the TC to your knowledge? If I recall right it was suppose to be a roof strength issue for the CV, during a roll-over.

Its funny, cause I was involved in a single car accident while doing 70 MPH in the hills in central California. According to the eye witnesses, the car rolled end over end, front of car first, then continued until it rolled over from the passenger side and landed on its wheels again. It continued moving up hill, until it finally stopped. The right side of the car was the most damaged area. All of the doors opened, except for the front passenger door. The roof had some signs of buckling, but was still sound.

I'll be interested in seeing what the state contract pricing will be when they release it in Novenber for the replacement model.

About 3,500 ,give or take a couple of hundred from Sept 1st.

About 3,500 ,give or take a couple of hundred from Sept 1st.

Thanks Topgun for the figures. The best car ever build, sends it last supply to the Gulf.... Sad day for Ford....

My 04 Sport will live on, if Ford couldn't make it to meet the standards, then I will. I have found a hybrid kit that can be installed, that offers a 20% gain in city...

• Like 1

Thanks Topgun for the figures. The best car ever build, sends it last supply to the Gulf.... Sad day for Ford....

My 04 Sport will live on, if Ford couldn't make it to meet the standards, then I will. I have found a hybrid kit that can be installed, that offers a 20% gain in city...

Where's the link and info on that?

I also wonder if those last Crown Vics, or any Crown Vics made within the last year are the P70 extended wheelbase versions and how many longer wheelbase "L" Town Cars built also.

Although Hynes is not ready to reveal pricing for the hybrid conversions, the Boston Globe reports that the transformation will cost under $10,000.

I don't see this as a success. They haven't stated the fuel savings and at that price, the required mileage per year would have to be excessive to break even.. Nor is the proformance quoted. Pushing a loaded van or Town Car is going to be difficult at best. I'm guessing the savings will be a few mpg? While the quote a 24 month break even period, no data is included with that statement.

TopGun can you confirm?

I just wanted to say ditto to this. I have been driving the CVPI since'94. I really hate to see them go. Thanks for making such a great patrol car.

Edited by Treadhead
  • Like 1

I would also like to thank the employees of the ST.Thomas Plant for making such AWESOME Cars..Have been driving Panthers since the early 80's and loved each and every one of them..Hopefully there will be some good ones around for the next 10 years so I can find another one when the time comes.

No other car will be able to go 400K miles with such low maintenance.

• Like 3

The old technology is dead on the fleet/ city mileage point. But I can still pull 27 to 30 mpgs out of a 430,000 mile Town Car... The only thing dead is people's brains because the car has the established history of safety, room and gas mileage that fits my needs. And you can still buy a used C.V./GMQ/T.C. at a good price depending on what it is.

Build junk cars and sell 'em. That's the auto industry in 2011. Sell them 40 mpg vehicles you can't even work on yourself and prepare to grab your ankles when you shell out all that cash/credit...to pay for the repairs.

I definitely agree with Bored of Pisteon.

• Like 1

I definitely agree with Bored of Pisteon.

Especially with the shaky economy, it's best to keep what you got and invest what you can to keep it going. Had that '01 Town Car for almost 3 years now. Even if the time came to retire it, I'd keep it around for parts and am actively looking for parts also. I also own an '02 Executive L that's got 361,000 on the body. 2nd motor, overhauled trans (new torque converter) but it's a smooth runner, and it ain't a beater either!

I'd like to find a P70 extended wheelbase Crown Vic. Those have the roominess of the old LTD's from the 1970's. That's what I like about the Executive L's back seat space. You got room to relax... :shades:

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

Is it really any easier or less expensive to repair any OBD-II Crown Vic than it would be to repair a new Taurus? Not really. They're both computer-controlled nightmares that very few people would be capable of diagnosing and repairing themselves. The days of the do-it-yourself garage fix died long before the Panthers did.

Is it really any easier or less expensive to repair any OBD-II Crown Vic than it would be to repair a new Taurus? Not really. They're both computer-controlled nightmares that very few people would be capable of diagnosing and repairing themselves. The days of the do-it-yourself garage fix died long before the Panthers did.

We know that, that's why I'd rather go out and continue to even buy the older Panthers and keep them going as long as possible. The computer controlled nightmares are just that and that's why I did mention in another thread that most vehicles made the past 20 years are nothing but disposable junk.

With the Crown Vic dying a slow and painful death recently, I got to thinking the other day: I'll bet real money that someone around Ford Motor Company is driving a Crown Vic Sport with the Mustang GT's 5.0L DOHC V8 backed by the 6 speed automatic. It probably has nice sounding pipes. 3.73 gears, and bigger wheels and tires from the Mustang as well. What a send off that would've been!

I would be surprised if someone else at Ford didn't have a CV Sport with the Ecoboost engine and transmission from the F150. Do you think they'd ever admit it?? No way!

Because the air intake isn't mounted down low under the front bumper. A wave in a one foot or so flooded area will take out the CV. Chrysler mounted the air intake up higher....

BTW, the new Caprice PPV has its air intake mounted low and in front right behind the small grill on the driver's side where a fog light might go. That's just perfect for sucking water into the engine in mild flooding. :(

Edited by T'Cal

• 2 weeks later...

I would be surprised if someone else at Ford didn't have a CV Sport with the Ecoboost engine and transmission from the F150. Do you think they'd ever admit it?? No way!

BTW, the new Caprice PPV has its air intake mounted low and in front right behind the small grill on the driver's side where a fog light might go. That's just perfect for sucking water into the engine in mild flooding. :(

The possibilities of keeping the longevity of used Panthers out there is endless. But you'd have to find the proper interchangeable mounts to install newer drivetrains or adapt portions of them onto the older parts to make them mesh together. Considering that you have a solid and not rusted out frame and body to work with. That's why for me personally, I'm going to grab as many of them as I can on the cheap and hold on to the parts.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a more modern fuel-efficent drivetrain installed in old battleships like the mid 70's LTD/Marquis/Continental land yachts. Yeah, it's possible...but for what cost?

• 2 weeks later...