Parents getting an Edge for the weekend

So my Mom calls the local Ford dealership and asks point blank that she wants to drive an Edge for the week end so they can nit pick it. She ask for a limited also if they had one. The General Mgr says no problem at all it will be ready at 3 o clock. They have bought several cars from them over the years. My parents are Toyota people for the most part and drive a 4 runner which they both love and has been as perfect as any new car I have ever seen. It pains me to say this but its the truth.

First, kudos to the local Ford store. This is how you at least have a chance to convert people over. Second, I want to drive it also and am curious if there are any things to look for. They drove an Explorer a while back but it was bigger than what they wanted. I think the Edge is AWD but not sure.

Anybody have one of these and what are your impressions? They dont go off road or anything but need to haul 4 people from time to time and need something to haul a big lab to the vet and back ect....

Is the 3.5 proven as a solid engine? It has more HP than the runner but lacks the torque and I bet a cup of coffee it will feel weaker. Both are too heavy imo. The runner is a 03 by the way with a 4.7 V8. I think the one they are getting has MY Ford Touch but not sure. Im scared of it to be honest. Any comments are appreciated as to what to look for. Cross overs are not my gig and I dont keep tabs on them much. Thanks

My mom bought an '11 Fusion Sport with the 3.5 and I'm pretty impressed. I researched that engine family before she ordered the car and only found positive reviews where reliability is concerned. MFT is sweet as well, but may be a little daunting at first.

Edited by tsd98

Don't have any personal experience with MFT, but from what I have gathered they should probably take at least 5-10 minutes sitting in the parking lot playing with it to familiarize themselves with it and ask the dealers any questions that pop up while they're playing.

As for the 3.5, I haven't heard any negatives on the duratec "cyclones" (I think that's their codename, the 3.5 and 3.7). Again, haven't driven a vehicle with one, but from what I gather they have plenty of get up get it even in heavier vehicles. If it doesn't have enough go for 'em there is always the sport model available as well with the 3.7 and a little more hp/tq (though I've also read that the extra power is pretty much negated by the huge wheels that come on the sport model. If they're in no rush to buy the 2.0 ecoboost may perform better or just as well with its broad, flat torque curve even if the peak numbers don't show as high - plus the added benefit of mpg's!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 3.7 is standard in the MKX (minus the giant bling ass rims in the sport Edge) if they'd be interested in going that route.

Don't have any personal experience with MFT, but from what I have gathered they should probably take at least 5-10 minutes sitting in the parking lot playing with it to familiarize themselves with it and ask the dealers any questions that pop up while they're playing.

As for the 3.5, I haven't heard any negatives on the duratec "cyclones" (I think that's their codename, the 3.5 and 3.7). Again, haven't driven a vehicle with one, but from what I gather they have plenty of get up get it even in heavier vehicles. If it doesn't have enough go for 'em there is always the sport model available as well with the 3.7 and a little more hp/tq (though I've also read that the extra power is pretty much negated by the huge wheels that come on the sport model. If they're in no rush to buy the 2.0 ecoboost may perform better or just as well with its broad, flat torque curve even if the peak numbers don't show as high - plus the added benefit of mpg's!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 3.7 is standard in the MKX (minus the giant bling ass rims in the sport Edge) if they'd be interested in going that route.

Thanks. I dont think there is anyway the ecoboost will fly with them in this cross over. IM seriously skeptical of it myself. Cant wait to drive it but I have a feeling even with all the horsepower its going to feel weaker than the Runner. IN 03, the V6 had more horsepower on paper than the 4.7. IN reallity, the 4.7 feels way stronger due to the torque curve. They have no regrets for chosing the V8. Its a smooth as butter and has a flat torque curve.

IM very skeptical of My ford touch. We will see.

Lets just say I put car lengths on 4runners whenever they try to run my 3.5L Edge (2009 limited) at stop lights. Turn the traction control off and you'll fry the tires through second gear mashing it from a stop. The engine will be a little tight for the first few hundred miles, but breaks into a little beast. I don't see them still liking the toyota after driving the edge. The 3.5 has been bulletproof and reliability charts proove that. Hope they enjoy the test drive :shift:

We've got 43K flawless miles on our 08 Edge Limited. It has plenty of power and pulled a loaded trailer through the mountains with no problem. And as mentioned above, it is suprisingly quick. I would suspect the EB 2.0 would actually have a broader torque curve which your parents might like even more than the 3.5.

I had an Edge for two years. The back seat is huge and there is ample cargo space; it is easily capable of hauling four people and the big lab. You'd be surprised by the Edge's power. The 2003 4Runner V8 was about 0-60 in 8 seconds, the 2011 Edge does it around a second quicker depending on trim.

Edited by atvman

My mother has a 2011 Edge and I have a 2011 Lincoln MKX. Both cars are beyond brilliant. You'll be surprised by how quick and agile the Edge is, the 4-Runner is a crude vehicle by comparison so I think they are in for a surprise. It's one thing to have power, it's another thing to apply it properly to the road. My MKX is essentially a Mustang on stilts, it rips up the pavement like you wouldn't believe, and does it without making a peep....I am absolutely in love with my MKX. My Ford Touch will probably be an issue for them however, it has its issues that have not been solved, far too slow.

So my Mom calls the local Ford dealership and asks point blank that she wants to drive an Edge for the week end so they can nit pick it. She ask for a limited also if they had one. The General Mgr says no problem at all it will be ready at 3 o clock. They have bought several cars from them over the years. My parents are Toyota people for the most part and drive a 4 runner which they both love and has been as perfect as any new car I have ever seen. It pains me to say this but its the truth.

First, kudos to the local Ford store. This is how you at least have a chance to convert people over. Second, I want to drive it also and am curious if there are any things to look for. They drove an Explorer a while back but it was bigger than what they wanted. I think the Edge is AWD but not sure.

Anybody have one of these and what are your impressions? They dont go off road or anything but need to haul 4 people from time to time and need something to haul a big lab to the vet and back ect....

Is the 3.5 proven as a solid engine? It has more HP than the runner but lacks the torque and I bet a cup of coffee it will feel weaker. Both are too heavy imo. The runner is a 03 by the way with a 4.7 V8. I think the one they are getting has MY Ford Touch but not sure. Im scared of it to be honest. Any comments are appreciated as to what to look for. Cross overs are not my gig and I dont keep tabs on them much. Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the powertrain; it's very flexible and enjoyable and returns pretty decent fuel economy. The addition of TiVCT made this powertrain even better.

I agree with one of the commenters that they should spend some time becoming acquainted with MFT before hitting the road. We all play with new devices and that's the way we learn these days; but it's best not to play while you are driving and it can lead to frustration and a "I don't like it" response.

Everyone should start off with MFT by describing it as a "four corner system." Each quadrant on the touch screen is color coded and covers a separate system: Entertainment, climate control, navigation, and communication. They always stay in the same place, and you can always get back to that system by pressing that quadrant. And you can always get back to the home page by pressing the little house icon. If you start off that way and play with it a bit, it becomes much more clear how it works. It's really not so difficult. Then as you become more comfortable, you can better understand the steering wheel controls and the voice controls (which can also be played with in the parking lot). Navigation works primarily by voice when you are moving (thank the lawyers I think).

I'm still not totally happy with MFT however. The touch screen is still very, very bulky with huge time delays in some functions (but I do not have the latest flash update; hopefully this Edge will have it). The voice recognition sometimes isn't that great. And I prefer the logic on my handheld GPS to the logic on the car's nav in terms of setting a destination. But this system is not the horrorshow that Consumers Reports makes it out to be. I think one of the frustrations by some reviewers is that you can perform the same function in multiple ways. If you are new to the system, you might get confused. But as you use it, I think each driver will settle into a pattern where you use the method that it most comfortable to you.

MFT is the one area that is going to be quite different than the rest of the driving experience and what they have been used to and it's a system that could influence how well they like the total vehicle.

I just got back from a short drive The Edge is pretty sweet. I like irt overall. The power is peaky imo. The Runner has it beat hands down. There is no substitute for a V8 period. The 35 has no low end torque. THe Runner feels like it has twice the power but it does not. My parents like it but IM not that impressed to be honest

This car is too heavy and the torque of the 3.5 is way too high. The Runner may be slower ;but it feels way more powerful. It never works hard and is smooth as butter. I doubt they wil trade but who knows. Its a great cross over and very competitive but its no 4 runner for sure. After all of these years I expected more.

I just got back from a short drive The Edge is pretty sweet. I like irt overall. The power is peaky imo. The Runner has it beat hands down. There is no substitute for a V8 period. The 35 has no low end torque. THe Runner feels like it has twice the power but it does not. My parents like it but IM not that impressed to be honest

This car is too heavy and the torque of the 3.5 is way too high. The Runner may be slower ;but it feels way more powerful. It never works hard and is smooth as butter. I doubt they wil trade but who knows. Its a great cross over and very competitive but its no 4 runner for sure. After all of these years I expected more.

Your expectations are way too high if you don't think the 3.5 has enough torque.

• Like 1

If you are used to a V8 you probably would think that the 3.5 (or any V6 for that matter) is lacking on torque.

There is a huge difference between "has no low end torque" and "doesn't have as much low end torque as I want".

My 08 with the less powerful 3.5L will chirp the tires from a standstill. It isn't underpowered by any stretch of the imagination.

There is a huge difference between "has no low end torque" and "doesn't have as much low end torque as I want".

My 08 with the less powerful 3.5L will chirp the tires from a standstill. It isn't underpowered by any stretch of the imagination.

Well, he's used to a RWD/AWD V-8. But a 3.5 EB option would fix that problem. An AWD Edge with 370 or so hp and the appropriate brakes and shocks would be a fine experience. :)

• Like 1

IN fairness, I think the Edge is quicker to 60. It just has to downshift all the time. We live in a hilly area and it has no low end. Also in fairness its way way better on gas. The Runner is a gas hog. If there is one thing you can get on it about its fuel mileage. It flat out sucks. The Edge is way better. The Edge is a nice cross over.

It takes a while to get used to it coming out of a V8. THe Runner just pulls so good at all rpms and its so smooth. But boy do you pay for it at the pump. Its as I expected pretty much. The Runner fells more powerful even though it is not. It just goes about its buisness in such a easy way. THe Edge has to spool up some to get it done. Never the less, its a really nice car.

What I don't understand is why these people who are used to driving big V8s think downshifting is bad.

It's not downshifting that I have issues with. It's "how often" or "how frequently" it has to downshift. Living in mountainous or hilly area's, sure the downshift helps build the power to get you over, but if it's constantly downshifting, you're looking at replacing the tranny earlier than a vehicle with a more powerful motor that doesn't require the downshift to build more power.

We see it all the time. People who don't lock out O/D climbing hills on the hwy and end up frying the tranny. Part of the problem with auto trannies today, is manufacturers are programming them for efficiency, which has them upshifting too early/downshifting too late. Which can be a problem.

Edited by V8-X

It's not downshifting that I have issues with. It's "how often" or "how frequently" it has to downshift. Living in mountainous or hilly area's, sure the downshift helps build the power to get you over, but if it's constantly downshifting, you're looking at replacing the tranny earlier than a vehicle with a more powerful motor that doesn't require the downshift to build more power.

We see it all the time. People who don't lock out O/D climbing hills on the hwy and end up frying the tranny. Part of the problem with auto trannies today, is manufacturers are programming them for efficiency, which has them upshifting too early/downshifting too late. Which can be a problem.

This is pure and simple, BS. Trannies are meant to shift. That is their purpose in life. If shifting kills auto trannies, then people who live in cities would have their transmissions going out all the time. An auto tranny, in the city, is shifting constantly.

What kills auto trannies is heat, and shock. High torque, at low rpm, is very hard on them, as it shocks them. This is why most high torque engines have torque management built into the programming. It pulls power at shift (so quickly as to be pretty much transparent), to save the tranny. Heat, however, is the biggest threat. High heat, with improper cooling, will kill an auto tranny faster than anything. This is what is hard on the transmissions, in heavy towing.................... the buildup of heat.

Newer, fully electronic transmissions are programmed for fuel economy. They can do so, and provide a spirited driving experience when asked.

Do say that shifting is a negative, while praising fuel economy, is ridiculous. I have driven an Edge Limited in spirited driving. Does it drive like my V10 SD. No. Did I expect it to. No. Was it fun in its high revving splendor..................... you betcha.

• Like 1