2012 Focus Idle speed shudder Customer service responce

trackertx-17

I have 9,000 miles on mine and have had the shudder from day one with no change. It's worse when the transmission is hot. Break in my ***.

This is an interesting observation. Mine has much more in the way of shuttering/hunting when cold. After a mile or two, it smooths out considerably.

Well that is your own fault. You do know that the MTE is an average, right? It calculates your average over the last 500 miles (I think), and based on the amount of gas you have left, it figures about how many miles you can drive. If the last 100 miles have been bad fuel economy, you can expect the numbers to be off quite a bit. There was probably a few sips of gas left in the tank that the pump couldn't pump out, and bam, you're out of gas.

I try to explain this to my wife, who says she has 45 MTE. Her response: "I think I can make it to the gas station on the way home". She has to travel about 35 miles before she gets to that gas station. My response: "Don't let it get that that close because I'm not coming to get you!"

BS. If you have driven any other Ford (except 2012 Focus) you know they have a "buffer" just for this purpose. I have driven my 2010 Fusion 20 miles after it showed 0 MTE. Every Ford is like this, until now. If you can't trust the MTE and they can't engineer the Focus to have the same buffer this is going to be a common occurance. The guy that came with gas said he saw the same thing in another 2012 Focus the week before when he was called for gas.

The inconsitancy with relation to the way Fords have been for years I think is what pisses me off about the car the most. And I have owned alot of Fords.

I've only gone below 10 MTE in my Edge once. Even if there is supposedly some sort of "buffer" in there, I'm not going to risk it. Why would anyone? Just because they could before? Hogwas - especially in a Focus. I mean, come on. You're talking about fractions of a percentile of the total fuel capacity. Why push it that far?

Edited by NickF1011

BS. If you have driven any other Ford (except 2012 Focus) you know they have a "buffer" just for this purpose. I have driven my 2010 Fusion 20 miles after it showed 0 MTE. Every Ford is like this, until now. If you can't trust the MTE and they can't engineer the Focus to have the same buffer this is going to be a common occurance. The guy that came with gas said he saw the same thing in another 2012 Focus the week before when he was called for gas.

The inconsitancy with relation to the way Fords have been for years I think is what pisses me off about the car the most. And I have owned alot of Fords.

So you are saying it's Ford's fault for making the gauge more accurate...riiiiiight.

And how do we know it wasn't a buffer, and you weren't just getting shitty gas mileage that tankful? Bad gas? More stop-and-go? Colder weather? It all contributes. Maybe with the Fusion you were getting exceptionally great mileage that tank, and that through the average off the other way?

That's just the reason I'm not foolish enough to let it get that low. I mean, what is the point to try to squeeze every last frickin drop of gas out of the tank? Just accept the fact that you should have filled up and quit trying to blame Ford. The last time we went camping, towing our fiver, we got home and my truck said 45 MTE. When I got in the next morning, it said 17 MTE (I only have 4 miles to the gas station) and I was freaking out. Would I have been ticked had I run out of gas? Sure, but it wouldn't have been Ford's fault...I should have filled up sooner. But, I go by the fuel gauge (like I have in every vehicle I have ever owned) and not the MTE indicator.

Sorry for turning this thread OT. Sometimes life isn't that predictable. Yes, I don't like to run the tank that low because of the fuel pump damage. Sometimes it happens. In this case, I was on the toll road. There is a gas station every 30 miles or so. When I was at the first one when I was getting lower on fuel, the display said 50 or so miles, and the low fuel light was not on. After I passed the gas station, once the MTE got below 50 the readout started dropping fast. The low fuel light didn't come on until around 30 MTE. In the owners manual it says that when the light comes on, there is 2 gallons of gas left. I wasn't too concerned, becuase even if I was getting 30 MPG that would get me at least over 50 miles. I was getting 38.5 MPG at the time with cruise control set.

So yes, I was relying on the instruments. I was used to other Fords. Now I know I can't trust the Focus readouts, even though the MTE and low fuel light is there for that reason.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I thought it would give basis why I happened to run the car low on gas. It happens, live and learn. One thing is the roadside assistance was pretty good.

Sorry for turning this thread OT. Sometimes life isn't that predictable. Yes, I don't like to run the tank that low because of the fuel pump damage. Sometimes it happens. In this case, I was on the toll road. There is a gas station every 30 miles or so. When I was at the first one when I was getting lower on fuel, the display said 50 or so miles, and the low fuel light was not on. After I passed the gas station, once the MTE got below 50 the readout started dropping fast. The low fuel light didn't come on until around 30 MTE. In the owners manual it says that when the light comes on, there is 2 gallons of gas left. I wasn't too concerned, becuase even if I was getting 30 MPG that would get me at least over 50 miles. I was getting 38.5 MPG at the time with cruise control set.

So yes, I was relying on the instruments. I was used to other Fords. Now I know I can't trust the Focus readouts, even though the MTE and low fuel light is there for that reason.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I thought it would give basis why I happened to run the car low on gas. It happens, live and learn. One thing is the roadside assistance was pretty good.

Yeah, $hit happens. Good to hear roadside assistance was good!

Are we talking about the slight shudder felt before throttle tip-in from a full stop or when coming to a stop? Seems to be an inherent idiosyncratic trait of this transmission. I'd compare it to the ideal balance between throttle application and clutch application/release in an MTX.

That's my take on it. It's pretty subtle on mine, when it's there at all. Thankfully, my PowerShift is just fine (other than some annoying shift logic, and a manual mode that isn't really manual). I'd still rather have a manual, but since I had to get a car my wife can drive when the minivan's in the shop, I needed a fun automatic, and I'm very happy with my Titanium. Now if they can just get that full rewrite of MFT ASAP....

TSB

11-10-2•CALIBRATION UPDATE - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION/ENGINE DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS, AMBIENT TEMPERATURE DISPLAY - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/12/2011

Publication Date: October 2, 2011

FORD:2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSBs 11-5-11, 11-7-22 and 11-9-5 to consolidate previously released articles, updated Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/12/2011 may exhibit the following engine drivability and/or automatic transmission concerns; RPM flare on deceleration coming to a stop, rough idle on deceleration coming to a stop, intermittent engine idle fluctuations at a stop, intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative, intermittent harsh engagement/shift, engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults and intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) diagnostic procedures. The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F or P2877. The vehicle may also exhibit intermittent false initialization to 21 °C (70 °F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

2.Perform Transmission Adaptive Learning. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 307-01 General Procedures.

NOTE:REPROGRAMMING PCM AND TCM WITH LOW VEHICLE BATTERY VOLTAGE AND/OR LOW IDS BATTERY VOLTAGE MAY RESULT IN A BLANKED PCM AND/OR TCM.

NOTE:THE PCM AND TCM ARE A MATCHED SET. PROGRAMMING THE PCM WILL AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THE TCM.

NOTE:PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME111002A2012 Focus Automatic Transmission (DPS6): Reprogram The PCM And TCM Includes Time To Perform Adaptive Learning And Drive Cycle (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.1 Hrs.

"The vehicle may also exhibit intermittent false initialization to 21 °C (70 °F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up."

FINALLY! This has been bothering me FOR EVER.

Lord please let this fix my car. I really want to like my Focus, but the fact that it drives like $h*t is KILLING me.

Thanks for the update!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the update done last week. Basically what it does is hold the car in gear higher into the RPM range before shifting. It smoothed the car out somewhat for a couple days but now its right back to having the shudder like it did before. The only thing it improved is that the clutches don't rattle as much as they did before but they still rattle from time to time. I'm so disappointed in this half baked transmission that I can't wait to get rid of this thing.

• 1 month later...

I had the update done last week. Basically what it does is hold the car in gear higher into the RPM range before shifting. It smoothed the car out somewhat for a couple days but now its right back to having the shudder like it did before. The only thing it improved is that the clutches don't rattle as much as they did before but they still rattle from time to time. I'm so disappointed in this half baked transmission that I can't wait to get rid of this

Many of the praised DCT's of higher end cars are made by GETRAG same as this one. It would be interesting to see if Renault has any reported issues? They were the pilot customer. For a technical overview of design rationale, current and future use, and features follow My link

• 2 months later...

I totaled my 05 Focus last week and I have 2012 SE as a rental. It's automatic and has 9300 miles on it. It does all the bad stuff you guys are talking about. I am getting a new 2012 SE Sedan but with manual trans. I feel bad for you guys that can't drive a stick. So hopefully I won't have any issues with mine. It seems the only real complaint is the auto trans. But Ford really needs to get this fixed.

Wow, thank goodness for owner forums. I have been working with a dealer regarding the 2012 Focus SEL Hatchback over the weekend. After reading this thread, I am wondering if I should buy this car.

For those of you who are experiencing this problem, did it show up within the first few hundred miles? Or did it show up after a few thousand? I owned a Mountaineer with a kicking transmission from 2nd the 1st gear when coming to a stop. It took over two years for Ford and my local dealership to finally fix the problem... I certainly have no interest in reliving the experience...

Wow, thank goodness for owner forums. I have been working with a dealer regarding the 2012 Focus SEL Hatchback over the weekend. After reading this thread, I am wondering if I should buy this car.

For those of you who are experiencing this problem, did it show up within the first few hundred miles? Or did it show up after a few thousand? I owned a Mountaineer with a kicking transmission from 2nd the 1st gear when coming to a stop. It took over two years for Ford and my local dealership to finally fix the problem... I certainly have no interest in reliving the experience...

Any issues are there from day one and most all seem to be fixed with the latest software. If the one you test drove was ok then you don't have much to worry about.

Your concern about the PowerShift transmission is justified. This particular feature is one that's best avoided. If you like the Focus otherwise, you may want to consider a 5-speed manual SE Sport model instead. The manual transmission is now available on the Titanium variant as well.

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

This particular feature is one that's best avoided.

I disagree and I actually own one. I do think a prospective buyer needs to drive it and see how it feels to them because it is different and some people may not like it. But I don't think it should be summarily dismissed as an option based on a few defective early units especially with the software update.

I disagree and I actually own one. I do think a prospective buyer needs to drive it and see how it feels to them because it is different and some people may not like it. But I don't think it should be summarily dismissed as an option based on a few defective early units especially with the software update.

Ditto. I'm perfectly happy with the PowerShift in my Titanium.

Any issues are there from day one and most all seem to be fixed with the latest software. If the one you test drove was ok then you don't have much to worry about.

Thanks for the reply. I will pay closer attention to it when I go back to the dealership.