Mustang line extended

meyeste

A 4 door Mustang, after all truck buyers surprised you by buying more V-6's and v-8's I'll bet you Mustang buyers will surprise the heck out of you and buy more 4 door mustangs than 2 door Mustangs. It seems to me a direct injected 3.7L or 5.0L is going to allow the heavier Mustang 4-door to get nearly the same mileage. I'm one of those that would love a Mustang GT but look at the back seat and just can't put my kids back there, I bet there are a lot of us.

Edited by meyeste

No. No. No! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

I'm all for a 4-door RWD/AWD performance sedan gracing the Ford lineup again, but would not under any circumstance be for it being called a Mustang in any way.

This. Stretched 4-door Mustang-based sedan = Falcon or T-bird. Preferably Falcon, as I'd like to see a low volume/high profit 2-seat T-bird compete with the Vette. Hey, Falcon even begins with "F" so it fits with Ford's stupid naming convention.

Hey, Falcon even begins with "F" so it fits with Ford's stupid naming convention.

Ford has already abandoned that "stupid" naming convention. They just really haven't launched any new models since then besides Fiesta, which already had a global F-name anyway. No reason at all to change it. And Frankly it never Freaking bothered me. It's not like we got any really bad names out of it...well, okay, Freestyle was pretty stupid.

Ford has already abandoned that "stupid" naming convention. They just really haven't launched any new models since then besides Fiesta, which already had a global F-name anyway. No reason at all to change it. And Frankly it never Freaking bothered me. It's not like we got any really bad names out of it...well, okay, Freestyle was pretty stupid.

Did they? Ford only backtracked and renamed the Five-Hundred to the Taurus because people didn't know WTF a "500" was but would gladly buy a "Taurus"

Did they? Ford only backtracked and renamed the Five-Hundred to the Taurus because people didn't know WTF a "500" was but would gladly buy a "Taurus"

Since they started with the "F" thing, they've launched the Transit Connect here and will soon be launching the C-Max, and possibly a B-Max. Yes, they are all global nameplates, but none of them start with "F" that I can tell. None of the other existing "F" vehicles in the lineup have been replaced so there is little to no reason to change their names.

A 4 door Mustang, after all truck buyers surprised you by buying more V-6's and v-8's I'll bet you Mustang buyers will surprise the heck out of you and buy more 4 door mustangs than 2 door Mustangs. It seems to me a direct injected 3.7L or 5.0L is going to allow the heavier Mustang 4-door to get nearly the same mileage. I'm one of those that would love a Mustang GT but look at the back seat and just can't put my kids back there, I bet there are a lot of us.

I think I would vomit if I saw a 4 door mustang. This has always been a sports car, and hopfully will alway be.

I like the idea of larger higher performance engines but please lets keep for speed and performance.

I did see a SN 95 with 1 Adult and 5 kid passengers, you would be suprised where a kid can fit.

Exactly. It's called Brand Equity and it's extremely valuable. And they didn't rename it Taurus to improve sales per se - they said "hey - why are we building Five Hundreds when the name Taurus that has 20 years of Brand Equity and 90% recognition just sits rotting away on a shelf."

It would have been stupid to throw away such a valuable name. That's one big reason the new Explorer is selling so well - people know and respect the name.

Don't underestimate the value of brand equity.

• 5 weeks later...

I think I would vomit if I saw a 4 door mustang. This has always been a sports car, and hopfully will alway be.

I like the idea of larger higher performance engines but please lets keep for speed and performance.

I did see a SN 95 with 1 Adult and 5 kid passengers, you would be suprised where a kid can fit.

Well here's the thing Mustang loyalists aren't exactly chomping at the gates for the current Mustang, so you vomit - you probably don't own a Mustang anyway. Plain and simple people with Money - I'll throw myself in that category, want a sports car, however we have families so as much as a 2 door appeals to me, the reality is I don't want to torture my kids so a 4 door sports sedan is what I'll have. I love the Mustang GT but an Audi A4 fit's the need for about the same price, as much as buying an Audi or BMW makes me want to vomit, I'll get one because objectively it's the only choice (buying a Chrysler is even worse). Perhaps Ford doesn't call it a Mustang - call it an 'M4', tone down the front end just a tad, put two more doors on it and sell the thing for crying out loud!!

Still the 4 door porsche has been accepted with open arms, it's time to think out of the box. A 4 door AWD Mustang would be America's darling I am absolutely sure of that.

As for Ford creating a 4 door sports sedan and putting the Lincoln name place on it, I just am not for that I'm a Ford fan, I have no intention of ever buying a Lincoln.

Edited by meyeste

This. Stretched 4-door Mustang-based sedan = Falcon or T-bird. Preferably Falcon, as I'd like to see a low volume/high profit 2-seat T-bird compete with the Vette. Hey, Falcon even begins with "F" so it fits with Ford's stupid naming convention.

These names just don't resonate with most folks anyway, especially Falcon. I remember Falcons - barely, it doesn't instill a want to buy. And T-bird is dead plain and simple, if Ford does a high performance door door it'll be the GT. Ford cannot alienate 2 door Mustang loyalists unless they stop building 2-door Mustangs, however there are those of us - a 68 coupe was my first car that would love to have the Mustang nameplate but as mentioned can't quite live with a 2 door with a family of four.

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

4 door Mustang!!!

Mercury is gone, dont mean Ford couldnt re-hash some names... when the S197 came out I thoght then (still) it was silly not to stretch the floor a few inches and make a 5 passenger Cougar variant, with something akin to 69 cougar lines, and 'hidden' rear doors like the RX7 or 2000 charger concept car.

anyway, even rumors of a 4 door mustang would not be well recieved by the mustang fanatics.

Well here's the thing Mustang loyalists aren't exactly chomping at the gates for the current Mustang, so you vomit - you probably don't own a Mustang anyway. Plain and simple people with Money - I'll throw myself in that category, want a sports car, however we have families so as much as a 2 door appeals to me, the reality is I don't want to torture my kids so a 4 door sports sedan is what I'll have. I love the Mustang GT but an Audi A4 fit's the need for about the same price, as much as buying an Audi or BMW makes me want to vomit, I'll get one because objectively it's the only choice (buying a Chrysler is even worse). Perhaps Ford doesn't call it a Mustang - call it an 'M4', tone down the front end just a tad, put two more doors on it and sell the thing for crying out loud!!

Still the 4 door porsche has been accepted with open arms, it's time to think out of the box. A 4 door AWD Mustang would be America's darling I am absolutely sure of that.

As for Ford creating a 4 door sports sedan and putting the Lincoln name place on it, I just am not for that I'm a Ford fan, I could give a shit less about "soft touch" materials on my doors and dash, that really makes me want to vomit.

The Porsche 911 is every bit as iconic as the Mustang and perhaps more so, and yet the Cayenne and Panamera are both bigger sellers than 911 month after month. Porsche basicially funds 911 and Boxster/Cayman development through profits from Cayenne and Pamamera. In fact, Cayenne supply can't keep up with demand. And the Panamera performance wise is basically a 4 door 911.

With that being said, Ford does need to at least share its RWD Mustang platform with other entries like a RWD Thunderbird and Lincoln performance sedan/convertible. And AAI plant needs the extra work. Mustang doesn't even keep one shift at plant busy anymore. One shift can make over 120,000 Mustangs/year, and Mustang is only about 60% of that now if that. Time for Ford to share the Mustang platform. There is rumor that will indeed happen after all new Mustang is introduced, but I contend that Ford must do it or else Mustang will eventually die.

As for Ford creating a 4 door sports sedan and putting the Lincoln name place on it, I just am not for that I'm a Ford fan, I could give a shit less about "soft touch" materials on my doors and dash, that really makes me want to vomit.

As FordBuyer pointed out, is there a 4-door 911? No. And there won't be. As for wanting soft touch materials, perhaps you "could give a shit" but the rest of the industry demands it now in every vehicle, even subcompacts these days. Just because it's a Mustang doesn't mean it shouldn't have a nice interior.

And really? Comparing the A4 to a Mustang?? :headscratch:

• 2 weeks later...

As FordBuyer pointed out, is there a 4-door 911? No. And there won't be. As for wanting soft touch materials, perhaps you "could give a shit" but the rest of the industry demands it now in every vehicle, even subcompacts these days. Just because it's a Mustang doesn't mean it shouldn't have a nice interior.

And really? Comparing the A4 to a Mustang?? :headscratch:

The Panamera is pretty much a stretched 911, albeit a front engined version, I'll accept soft touch, etc, but still I'd like to see a 4 door Mustang. What's more I don't see how a global Mustang platform can exist without 4 door Variant.

As for an A4 and the Mustang GT - well check the price point it's very similar. Keep in mind I am interested in the Mustang now because it now a world class car, the interior is nice, it handles well and has best in class technology, it's interesting you could say the same thing about an A4. In short I won't be drag racing between stoplights, but will be hitting the twisties with spirit.

How did you get a "moderator" label, as you are simply demeaning my post with your comments.

The Panamera is pretty much a stretched 911, albeit a front engined version, I'll accept soft touch, etc, but still I'd like to see a 4 door Mustang. What's more I don't see how a global Mustang platform can exist without 4 door Variant.

The Mustang exists now without a global platform. Why would it need a 4-door variant to survive in the future? And there's absolutely zero reason to insist that if the Mustang does happen to share a platform with a sedan in the future that the sedan must be called Mustang. I contend that it must not be called that for fear of diluting what the Mustang is.

How did you get a "moderator" label, as you are simply demeaning my post with your comments.

When I see silly things, I respond with silly answers. Being a moderator has nothing to do with it. And hey, you're the one using toilet language.

• 3 weeks later...

The Mustang exists now without a global platform. Why would it need a 4-door variant to survive in the future? And there's absolutely zero reason to insist that if the Mustang does happen to share a platform with a sedan in the future that the sedan must be called Mustang. I contend that it must not be called that for fear of diluting what the Mustang is.

When I see silly things, I respond with silly answers. Being a moderator has nothing to do with it. And hey, you're the one using toilet language.

Why is a 4 door Mustang silly? It's not, it would be Ford's greatest vehicle. Sure the Fusion is a great car, the Taurus eh, but a 4 door RWD sports sedan with over 400 hp? I believe the evolution of the Mustang will take it there. A sedan variant would actually serve as an ambassador to those that have completely given up on American cars and bring them in. I live in European sports car central - DC, but I see more Mustangs all the time. A Mustang GT driving down the GW with HID lights front and back is more of a head turner than an M3 or S4; A four door version would probably cause accidents.

Why is a 4 door Mustang silly? It's not, it would be Ford's greatest vehicle. Sure the Fusion is a great car, the Taurus eh, but a 4 door RWD sports sedan with over 400 hp? I believe the evolution of the Mustang will take it there. A sedan variant would actually serve as an ambassador to those that have completely given up on American cars and bring them in. I live in European sports car central - DC, but I see more Mustangs all the time. A Mustang GT driving down the GW with HID lights front and back is more of a head turner than an M3 or S4; A four door version would probably cause accidents.

AGAIN, and listen closely this time, as you are apparently missing it:

I have NOTHING against a 4-door sedan with 400+ HP gracing Ford's lineup. I would welcome it with open arms! HOWEVER, in the nearly FIFTY YEARS the Mustang has been around it has ALWAYS been a coupe. It should ALWAYS REMAIN a coupe.

Would you also suggest that Ford put the F-150 name on an SUV? :rolleyes:

• 6 years later...

Now that dealers have reported Ford has shown them plans for a 4 door Mustang, if this works out please throw some love my way. With the 4 door, I am sure they are planning a RWD biased AWD system an option. This is a car that will be competing with the Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Panamera the e class the interior needs to pass muster. I hear it'll have a twin turbo V8, great idea. Learn the lesson GM just can't seem to learn, this calls of cars are about presence, a BMW is not a sleeper nor is a Mercedes nor is the Panamera, the Mustang 4 door should not be either. Of course given the current Mustang, Navigator, Ford gets this and does it well, however they'll need to step it up a bit even still. The 4 door needs took good, performance is important however not at the expensive of interior room. Those of us that would want to buy these have to sell it to a practical minded woman, and we care about the people that ride in the back more than we care about anything else. The variable engine sound option - standard on all V8's. All I can say is please do not use any GM vehicle as a benchmark; Panamera, BMW 4 series or 5 series, Mercedes CLS.

Also I applaud the reported plans for a turbo 8, the turbo 6 has been great, I am a fan, however luxury == v8 or perhaps even a v12.

Edited by meyeste

I doubt very seriously that it will wear a pony if it's going to compete with Porsche. Would not surprise me if this was a PHEV Lincoln version of the Mach 1. Remember the Mach 1 comments said it looked like a Panamera.

Now that makes sense. Besides then they can offer it for big buck = more profits off a mustang chassis.