explorer media screen

wondering if anyone has had this....all of a sudden after a startup the explorer media screen is gone... no radio.. no sync... no nothing!!!

the small screen next to the speedometer says audio off, but nothing turns it on... no backup camera... nothing...

:o

this is a 2012..... takin it in tomorrow... any ideas on fixes?

Rick.

I've got a 2011 with MFT and I've have had a few instances where the radio would show as off and would not turn on. I have found that pushing the seek button up/down on the steering wheel button seems to be the only way to get it to turn on. Can't explain why that works for me but I wonder if that would work for you as well.

Edited by MyPart

Why doesn't Ford do something about these problems with Sync NOW!?

Well DUH - they've been trying to fix it for the last 12 months. They've put out at least 6 or 7 new releases trying to fix it. They decided that it needed to be rewritten from scratch and that should be ready within the next 6 months or so. 2.11 is very close to being 100% stable - probably as close as they'll get until the rewrite.

It's a total screw-up but it's not due to lack of effort.

• Like 1

Well DUH - they've been trying to fix it for the last 12 months. They've put out at least 6 or 7 new releases trying to fix it. They decided that it needed to be rewritten from scratch and that should be ready within the next 6 months or so. 2.11 is very close to being 100% stable - probably as close as they'll get until the rewrite.

I guess this has been happening a few times... only fix is to put in a new unit... dealer ordered on wednesday... here today ( Friday) will get it installed on Monday... very fast getting the part... less than 700 miles and a rock did a number on the windshield ... that will take a week to get the new shield... my life with a new vehicle...

Rick.

Personally, that is unacceptable. 6-7 new releases, then announce they must re-write. And why would any reasonable owner believe 2.11 would be 100% stable, if the prior 6-7 releases have not fixed said issues? And if I was an owner and you told me 6 months (or so) before the re-write is available, provides little to no comfort or reassurance that it'll even work right then.

As you stated, it is a screw up, and not due to lack of effort. But someone needs to accept responsibility and believe owners should be compensated for their lost time and inconvenience. You don't pay that type of dollar on a vehicle to have 6-7 updates fail and told you have to wait even longer for a cure.

I am so happy none of my vehicles have this. Not knocking Ford vehicles per say, because I love most their vehicles. But simply shows they've rushed some products to market way too soon and haven't done thorough R&D. Should in no way take 12+ months to fix this issue.

Edited by V8-X

Personally, that is unacceptable. 6-7 new releases, then announce they must re-write. And why would any reasonable owner believe 2.11 would be 100% stable, if the prior 6-7 releases have not fixed said issues? And if I was an owner and you told me 6 months (or so) before the re-write is available, provides little to no comfort or reassurance that it'll even work right then.

As you stated, it is a screw up, and not due to lack of effort. But someone needs to accept responsibility and believe owners should be compensated for their lost time and inconvenience. You don't pay that type of dollar on a vehicle to have 6-7 updates fail and told you have to wait even longer for a cure.

I am so happy none of my vehicles have this. Not knocking Ford vehicles per say, because I love most their vehicles. But simply shows they've rushed some products to market way too soon and haven't done thorough R&D. Should in no way take 12+ months to fix this issue.

Each release was incrementally better - they just started with way too many bugs in the first place. They realize they should not have released it but once it's out they really had no other choice.

The current software was written by BSQUARE - a company of former Microsoft employees. They simply botched the code and botched it big. Ford has kicked them to the curb and enlisted the real Microsoft's help to rewrite it in-house. That's why the rewrite will be better. And you can bet if it isn't they won't release it.

Each release was incrementally better - they just started with way too many bugs in the first place. They realize they should not have released it but once it's out they really had no other choice.

The current software was written by BSQUARE - a company of former Microsoft employees. They simply botched the code and botched it big. Ford has kicked them to the curb and enlisted the real Microsoft's help to rewrite it in-house. That's why the rewrite will be better. And you can bet if it isn't they won't release it.

And like you stated, they started with WAY too many bugs and it should never have been released that way in the first place. Now they are simply trying to minimize damage to their rep.

And to me, why even take a chance with "former Microsoft employees", they are former employees for a reason.

And Ford better not release the next version until it's near perfect. I'm sure there would be a backlash by owners if they upgrade and have the same or even new problems.

OR.....they're trying to fix the problems to help their customers have a better experience. They're not mutually exclusive goals.

Um, nope. I'll go with my conclusion first 100% of the time. Sure, your point has validity, but in the corporate world, their #1 goal in such a scenario is to minimize damage first and foremost, then assist the consumer second.

Otherwise if it was the other way around, why did Ford fight against the recent airbag recall in the F150? To save face and money? If they were most worried about their consumer, they would have gone through the recall right away. How about the 5.4L spitting spark plugs, or getting stuck in the heads? Very common and wide spread issue. If Ford was truly into "helping their customers have a better experience", why haven't they issued a recall, or provided discounted service rates to compensate for their design flaw?

Again you are right, they are trying to assist their customers. But that is simply a byproduct of them attempting to minimize the damage and bad publicity.

Um, nope. I'll go with my conclusion first 100% of the time. Sure, your point has validity, but in the corporate world, their #1 goal in such a scenario is to minimize damage first and foremost, then assist the consumer second.

Otherwise if it was the other way around, why did Ford fight against the recent airbag recall in the F150? To save face and money? If they were most worried about their consumer, they would have gone through the recall right away. How about the 5.4L spitting spark plugs, or getting stuck in the heads? Very common and wide spread issue. If Ford was truly into "helping their customers have a better experience", why haven't they issued a recall, or provided discounted service rates to compensate for their design flaw?

Again you are right, they are trying to assist their customers. But that is simply a byproduct of them attempting to minimize the damage and bad publicity.

I didn't say money was never a factor or they were doing it strictly for altruistic reasons.

But they already had a software update ready within the first 3 weeks of the 2011 Explorer hitting the showrooms followed by another a month or two later. This was before the PR problems.

The fact that this was just software (in most cases) made it much easier for Ford to put out fixes as opposed to it being a hardware problem involving parts, tools, shipping, inventory, etc.

Ford has also done many things such as warranty extensions on coils and cops and heater cores without any PR pressure.

Of course they're going to think hard if it's something with a huge cost associated. It would be stupid not to. But that doesn't mean they only do things in response to PR pressure.

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to the big update in January...

I've had the screen go blank, too. After several moments, the screens displays that SYNC is performing a scheduled maintenance, which takes about three minutes or so. I wish it would ask if I cared to conduct the maintenance first. There are many little annoyances that I hope will be cleared up soon.

Looking forward to the big update in January...

I've had the screen go blank, too. After several moments, the screens displays that SYNC is performing a scheduled maintenance, which takes about three minutes or so. I wish it would ask if I cared to conduct the maintenance first. There are many little annoyances that I hope will be cleared up soon.

It's not really scheduled. It's a forced reboot due to a problem.

Call it whatever you want, I need it NOW. I stopped for gas a couple of days ago and when I started the car after filling up, the main screen was black and didn't come on until I disconnected the battery the next day. It keeps warning me to go to the dealer for a NAV system problem. This is getting worse...