AWS (Alternative Work Schedule) for Skilled Trades

rainbownthdrk

You must be one of the union boys. They go around telling everyone how everyone likes this 4 crew. The union boys got to keep there 8 hour days. Way to lead boys! There are vary few trades that do like this 4 crew. Let me tell you all that the majority of the trades at LAP hate this 4 crew. We want our 8 hour days back. We want the choice to work 12's if we want & not have it forced on us. Rumor is KTP will be keeping its 5 crew.

• Like 1

im at lap and i like the aws also,for the same reasons has wildcat7.

i talk to a lot of trades at lap and have to say most dont hate it

,but those that do really do.

there are laso a bunch that have no preference has to shift\schedule.

the union boys keeping their 8hr 5 days a week is a whole different topic.

You must be one of the union boys. They go around telling everyone how everyone likes this 4 crew. The union boys got to keep there 8 hour days. Way to lead boys! There are vary few trades that do like this 4 crew. Let me tell you all that the majority of the trades at LAP hate this 4 crew. We want our 8 hour days back. We want the choice to work 12's if we want & not have it forced on us. Rumor is KTP will be keeping its 5 crew.

A lot of people don't like the schedule but he has some real points.

I've been a on 7 day operation schedule and we don't make near what they do on the various AWS.

I am not one of those union boys. I fought the AWS, now I love the AWS. Do the math! When you ask someone at LAP why they hate it they can't give you a good reason. Do you make more money on the AWS...there response...ahhhh yeh. No one wants to work twelve, but compared to the other AWS schedules this blows them away. To add to my list of pros above

11) You don't have to drive to work as much, you save gas money.

12)On your RDO days (regular days off) the first two days are time and a half and the second two are double time. On a traditional schedule you are offered Saturday at time and a half and Sunday at double time. The other AWS schedules do not offer any of that. You will be on a AWS schedule, which one.

Why in the world would a person want to live in this place for the same money...(Whiteford) are you salary. The math doesn't lie.

13) If you are at LAP and you are on A or B crew, you can burn 24 hrs and be off for 9 days in a row.

14) If you have 200 hrs vac you can take off 2 days every other week for 14 weeks and have off nine days off every other week on A or B crew.

I respect everybody's opinion, I just stated the facts, I am a skilled trades person who has been here quite a while. The alternatives to this suck. When people bitch and gripe about things they should know that it could be a whole lot worse. The AWS was voted on in 2003. We have the best of the AWS schedules.

Just remember....the traditional schedule is not coming back.

A lot of people don't like the schedule but he has some real points.

I've been a on 7 day operation schedule and we don't make near what they do on the various AWS.

I have been on both 7day and 4 day AWS at DTP. One full year on each with no overtime. The 4 day, 12hrs. is the best. You make about $9000 per yr more and 4, 12hr shifts is much easier on body and soul than the 7, 12hr shifts. The company gets thier 24/7 maint. coverage either way. I understand they want to cut costs where ever they can, but the 7 12's are a drain. People still get the work done safe and effecient, but they are zombies at the end of the week.......plus the drain on family life does take it's toll. I could not imagine what it would be like to a young family with toddlers. Your wife would be a single mother every other week. Is it that bad to think about your employee's health and well being compared to less than $200k out of thier $6bil in pure profit?????? I don't think so. And that is if all trades nationwide were on 7day vs 4day. I believe most are on the 4 day. It would be a mere pitance to put DTP trades back to 4day AWS.

• 2 weeks later...

I work at Cleveland engine plant on 4 crew and my question to all who can reply is. What is the start time for nightshift? In national agreement 7pm is suppose to be the start time but at our facility start time is 6pm. Also would like to know what your being paid in premium we are getting 5 percent for shift 2.5 percent for being on 4 crew. However 7pm start time gets 10 percent for shift premium. So what I wanna know is what your start time is on 4 crew at your plant and what you are being paid for shift premium. Thanks to all for any help I can get on this matter.

• Like 1

They boned us at DTP with the 6:30pm start time for about a year. After much complaining, they switched our start time to 7pm. The 2nd shift for AWS 12 hr shifts is without a doubt, a midnight shift. Having start times set just under the wire for the midnight shift premium is just a kick in the nuts. Your local union should be able to get it changed if they want to.

The tradesmen that like the four 12hr days, four days off are the ones that have been on the seven 12hr days, seven days off AWS. When they started us on the 4 on...4 off, I remember thinking how much it sucked and wanted the traditional 40hr week back. Then they put us on the 7 12's and we have been on them ever since. For over a year now. I would take the 4 12's over the standard 40hr week in a minute. Flat out.....the 7 12's is the worst AWS you can get. I have not experienced the other AWS schedule.

Edited by RougeWelder