CAW watches U.S. auto talks

Empire

Canadians at negotiating table in 2012

CBC News Posted: Sep 19, 2011 12:29 PM ET

Canadian Auto Workers president Ken Lewenza is closely watching contract negotiations between the United Auto Workers and General Motors, Chrysler and Ford in the U.S.

Lewenza's attention to the talks comes after GM and the UAW reached a tentative four-year agreement late last week and a few months before his union begins negotiations in Canada.

"It's all relevant to us in here in Canada," Lewenza said Sunday.

Lewenza's counterpart, UAW president Bob King, said the deal reached last week includes improved profit-sharing and significant investments for plants in the United States.

While Canadian eyes are focused on the U.S., talks there will not dictate how negotiations unfold in Canada.

'Sovereign union'

"Of course I think there's always a reflection of what they do on the other side of the border with us, but we're a sovereign union," Lewenza said.

"We're watching where corporations are moving their investment. We're watching where product's being allocated. So it's not just United States in isolation."

If the U.S. deal is approved, workers in the States will get signing bonuses of $5,000 US and possibly larger profit-sharing cheques. The deal also includes guarantees of more union jobs and pay raises of up to $3 per hour for entry-level workers.

The GM deal will serve as a template for contracts that still must be negotiated with Chrysler and Ford.

Local union leaders will get the details of the tentative contract agreement between the UAW and GM on Tuesday.

The year 2012 is a negotiating year for the CAW and the Detroit-based automakers.

Lewenza said the CAW will analyze several terms of the U.S. deal, including investments, product allocation and wages.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Voting no will give our job security to Canada on a silver platter, not that I am against Canadians but the UAW fought for us to have the ability to gain this windfall of investments, product and job security.

Dont give our jobs away with a foolish no vote

Edited by Empire
  • Like 3

Canadian Auto Workers president Ken Lewenza is closely watching contract negotiations between the United Auto Workers and General Motors, Chrysler and Ford in the U.S.

Lewenza's attention to the talks comes after GM and the UAW reached a tentative four-year agreement late last week and a few months before his union begins negotiations in Canada.

Lewenza's counterpart, UAW president Bob King, said the deal reached last week includes improved profit-sharing and significant investments for plants in the United States.

While Canadian eyes are focused on the U.S., talks there will not dictate how negotiations unfold in Canada.

'Sovereign union'

"Of course I think there's always a reflection of what they do on the other side of the border with us, but we're a sovereign union," Lewenza said.

"We're watching where corporations are moving their investment. We're watching where product's being allocated. So it's not just United States in isolation."

If the U.S. deal is approved, workers in the States will get signing bonuses of $5,000 US and possibly larger profit-sharing cheques. The deal also includes guarantees of more union jobs and pay raises of up to $3 per hour for entry-level workers.

The GM deal will serve as a template for contracts that still must be negotiated with Chrysler and Ford.

Local union leaders will get the details of the tentative contract agreement between the UAW and GM on Tuesday.

The year 2012 is a negotiating year for the CAW and the Detroit-based automakers.

Lewenza said the CAW will analyze several terms of the U.S. deal, including investments, product allocation and wages.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Voting no will give our job security to Canada on a silver platter, not that I am against Canadians but the UAW fought for us to have the ability to gain this windfall of investments, product and job security.

Not one time in that did the CAW say they would get the product investment if it is voted down.Seems funny how nobody knew anything about a strike,lockout or losing products and now we have know it alls on here that are telling everyone how everything works and you all now can read the future.

In 2007 that promised 10,000 jobs and we actually lost 17,000 workers and they didnt fulfill most of their promises and used the reason of the economy. Now their promising the same shit and there is a clause in the contract,it all depends on the situation of the economy. Well according to Ford and Wall Street,the economy is almost in another recession so what do you think Ford is actually going to do? Use the economy for the reason they cant keep their promise. Wake up..... You yes votes are the ones pushing us out the door with allowing all the shit going on with 2nd tier workers,now Chrysler has no cap on how many 2nd tiers they can hire,well Ford will be asking for that next and more than likely they will want to open the contract up in a year or so. Your pushing your own unemployment...

'Sovereign union'

A true reality.

The CAW contract negotiation starts in a few months.

Any miss step a "no" vote, strike, lockout will put Canada CAW Ford in line for our products.

Vote yes to keep UAW work in our plants

• Like 3

The CAW has advantages over the UAW.The citizens of Canada support unions,single payer health care system are just two of them.Canada is a very good neighbor of the USA.Canadians buy Ford products.Yes,they are tough competition for Ford jobs but they generally dont lowball like other foreign countries.The bottom line is that Ford Motor can do business and spend money anywhere it wants to.It is not 1969 anymore.We have a global economy and competition is stiff,point taken.

• Like 2

A true reality.

The CAW contract negotiation starts in a few months.

Any miss step a "no" vote, strike, lockout will put Canada CAW Ford in line for our products.

Vote yes to keep UAW work in our plants

I kind of remember Essex to be closed then there were labor issues with one or more of the UAW engine plants and all of a sudden Ford and the Canadian government put money into reopening the plant. I am pretty sure they got a Mustang engine and don't know what else they got from us.

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archive/2010/01/08/2011-mustang-gt-5-0l-coyote-in-depth-look.aspx

"The 5.0 will be built at Ford's Essex engine plant in Windsor, Ontario starting early in 2010. The tighter tolerances, reduced friction and increased precision in manufacturing will help Ford increase the oil change interval on the new engine to 10,000 miles using conventional 5W20 oil. Fully dressed (minus the A/C compressor) and filled with oil, the new engine weighs in at 430 pounds. That's about the same as the outgoing 4.6 in spite of the extra valve train hardware. By comparison, a non-dry-sump GM LS3 used in the Camaro or Corvette weighs a bit over 400 pounds, which is not enough to make up the difference in overall vehicle weight between the Camaro and Mustang. The 2011 Mustang GT goes on sale in spring 2010, and based on the engine tech alone, we're itching for our chance behind the wheel."

• Like 3

I kind of remember Essex to be closed then there were labor issues with one or more of the UAW engine plants and all of a sudden Ford and the Canadian government put money into reopening the plant. I am pretty sure they got a Mustang engine and don't know what else they got from us.

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archive/2010/01/08/2011-mustang-gt-5-0l-coyote-in-depth-look.aspx

"The 5.0 will be built at Ford's Essex engine plant in Windsor, Ontario starting early in 2010. The tighter tolerances, reduced friction and increased precision in manufacturing will help Ford increase the oil change interval on the new engine to 10,000 miles using conventional 5W20 oil. Fully dressed (minus the A/C compressor) and filled with oil, the new engine weighs in at 430 pounds. That's about the same as the outgoing 4.6 in spite of the extra valve train hardware. By comparison, a non-dry-sump GM LS3 used in the Camaro or Corvette weighs a bit over 400 pounds, which is not enough to make up the difference in overall vehicle weight between the Camaro and Mustang. The 2011 Mustang GT goes on sale in spring 2010, and based on the engine tech alone, we're itching for our chance behind the wheel."

My neighbor works at Romeo and he claims Romeo was in line to get either the 6.2 or the 5.0. Because the 2007 local agreement didnt pass the high volume 5.0 went to Canada and the low volume 6.2 went to Romeo.

Canada has the ability to do close tolerance machining and high quality machining and volume as well as available floor space. They can squander away the next generation engines and transmissions if labor strife continues in our UAW powertrain plants. Cleveland voted in favor of this agreement to gain future product away from Canada

I wouldnt doubt Ford watching closely the voting in our UAW Engine and Transmission plants for future reference

Canada and the CAW will use no votes in Transmission and Engine plants to try to gain powertrain investment

• Like 3

'Sovereign union'

Were to Oakville ?????? Thats the only production plant left in Canada. And St Thomas is closing if not already closed. Another union brother f*ucking another union brother You all are a bunch of dumbass

• Like 2

The CAW has advantages over the UAW.The citizens of Canada support unions,single payer health care system are just two of them.Canada is a very good neighbor of the USA.Canadians buy Ford products.Yes,they are tough competition for Ford jobs but they generally dont lowball like other foreign countries.The bottom line is that Ford Motor can do business and spend money anywhere it wants to.It is not 1969 anymore.We have a global economy and competition is stiff,point taken.

If this agreement is voted down Canada will gain most of our product commitments. Transmissions and Engines are highest in quality from CAW Canada plants.

I do think the CAW is itching to see this agreement go down in the power train plants so they can try to gain our coveted products

• Like 2

If this agreement is voted down Canada will gain most of our product commitments. Transmissions and Engines are highest in quality from CAW Canada plants.

I do think the CAW is itching to see this agreement go down in the power train plants so they can try to gain our coveted products

I have had launch assignments at both CAP and Oakville Assembly Plant. I have been going to Chicago on and off for its latest launch. I also have been to OAP recently. The Canadian auto workers and management were pretty giddy that the UAW will vote down its contract. Management there has told the workers they will get either the Explorer or new Transit (scheduled for Kansas City) if the UAW votes it down.

When asked about engines and transmissions we were told Essex Engine plant could make some of the engines scheduled for the US plants in this contract. So, take your pick it could be Romeo, Lima or Cleveland or a combination. Future transmissions may come from Canada, but If its voted down, I heard Getrag. Also, the work scheduled for Romeo would stay at Linamar.

This is for those who want to keep work in the USA with a YES vote because if work is not insourced, I don't have a job either. I am a US citizen and I want work to stay here and for Americans to be employed.

Edited by nonunion slug
  • Like 3

I have had launch assignments at both CAP and Oakville Assembly Plant. I have been going to Chicago on and off for its latest launch. I also have been to OAP recently. The Canadian auto workers and management were pretty giddy that the UAW will vote down its contract. Management there has told the workers they will get either the Explorer or new Transit (scheduled for Kansas City) if the UAW votes it down.

When asked about engines and transmissions we were told Essex Engine plant could make some of the engines scheduled for the US plants in this contract. So, take your pick it could be Romeo, Lima or Cleveland or a combination. Future transmissions may come from Canada, but If its voted down, I heard Getrag. Also, the work scheduled for Romeo would stay at Linamar.

This is for those who want to keep work in the USA with a YES vote because if work is not insourced, I don't have a job either. I am a US citizen and I want work to stay here and for Americans to be employed.

There is an article in the Detroit Free Press that says if we reject the deal, Ford will not bring in the work, period.

• Like 3

On a per capita basis, Canada has lost just as many jobs as the U.S. As the economy declines even further, everybody circles the wagons, and tries to take what others have. Canadians will not buy Fords anymore if Ford fires all of it's Canadian workers. There would be no gain for the UAW if Ford did that.

'Sovereign union'

I think we know from working in plants that the company has a certain timeline to build a vehicle from beginning to end. They won't let a no vote, strike or lockout keep them from building products whether it is the USA, Canada, Mexico or China. Either we will build it or it will be built somewhere else.

• Like 2

I think we know from working in plants that the company has a certain timeline to build a vehicle from beginning to end. They won't let a no vote, strike or lockout keep them from building products whether it is the USA, Canada, Mexico or China. Either we will build it or it will be built somewhere else.

Yes let's fearmonger some more no way we can send our sorry ass negotiators back to the table.

• Like 1

Bullshit, what coveted position do YOU have at Ford???

How is it that YOU are privy to such info??? What Explorer would we be getting? the one built in CAP? If the Transit is coming to Canada it better go on a diet because it will never FIT in our plant.

Get lost....go play with someone else's life.

Bullshit, what coveted position do YOU have at Ford???

How is it that YOU are privy to such info??? What Explorer would we be getting? the one built in CAP? If the Transit is coming to Canada it better go on a diet because it will never FIT in our plant.

Get lost....go play with someone else's life.

they'll say anything to create fear and panic. this jackass claims to be salary at ford but he's just another shill