2013 Escape Spied with minimal camo

To this thing? Absolutely. Look, no one is saying the Escape doesn't need an update, but this thing is literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

And if this Kuga sells as well as the Expoorer as you hope it will be selling at half it's current volume.

If my Escape were to die today I'd buy a 2012 in a heartbeat. I wouldn't accept a 2013 if it were free.

How about letting it see the light of day first before issuing final report card? See what the fuel mileage is, performance figures, cargo room, tow ratings, price, features, and so on. Even then, I would need to drive it to really come up with decent review. The new one will have about 20% better fuel mileage, probably much more refined, certainly more modern looking inside and out, more features, and the rest we will have to wait and see. Exterior design is subjective at best anyway. For me, it will be interesting to see if you can stand an adult bike upright into cargo area with new Escape like you can with present one.

I'm not a fan of the reverse sloped glass in the quarter windows. I don't like it. It's trite. Everybody is doing it, and some (Nissan & Toyota) have been doing it for 5 years or more (Murano, Matrix).

I mean when you're going to use the same design cue everyone else is using, it should at least be moderately current, not yesterday's leftovers.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 3

This is an example of my concern, how widespread is this opinion in Escape buyers, just a few or lots?

One of the reasons that I bought my 2009 was due to the truck like styling. This new one is just like the others in its class.

I'm not a fan of the reverse sloped glass in the quarter windows.

That style of windows and the backward curving roof is overdone by the compitition. It's almost a requirement in this class. When they change in a couple of years, this new Escape will be dated. The Honda Element and the Equinox clones are about the only ones that haven't joined swoopy rear roof club

• Like 1

No, it's gay as fuck :stop:

Wow, I never thought I'd have to do this twice today! From an earlier post I had to make on Facebook on the exact same topic...

"If you're going to use that language, you can go elsewhere IMO - bigoted homophobes like you should take your opinions and if you must, tell them to someone who cares - not the wider community that does include gay people - like myself - and find that analogy quite offensive! :( And for all you know, all the designers might be "breeders" - or is that offensive?"

I honestly thought society was becoming a better place, but stupidly ignorant remarks like that continue my lack of faith in humanity. If you don't have anything nice to say FUCK OFF WITH YOUR NEGATARD OPINION!

Edited by Aussie_Ford
  • Like 7

As an owner of both a 2001 Escape and and 2007 Edge i found that the new Escape is just really boring. Most of the recent Ford designs have been quite recognizable at a quick glance, the new Escape could be any small Asian brand. I know we weren't going to get a new trucklet but I was expecting something with more forward thinking design.

One of the reasons that I bought my 2009 was due to the truck like styling. This new one is just like the others in its class.

That style of windows and the backward curving roof is overdone by the compitition. It's almost a requirement in this class. When they change in a couple of years, this new Escape will be dated. The Honda Element and the Equinox clones are about the only ones that haven't joined swoopy rear roof club

Wow, I never thought I'd have to do this twice today! From an earlier post I had to make on Facebook on the exact same topic...

"If you're going to use that language, you can go elsewhere IMO - bigoted homophobes like you should take your opinions and if you must, tell them to someone who cares - not the wider community that does include gay people - like myself - and find that analogy quite offensive! :( And for all you know, all the designers might be "breeders" - or is that offensive?"

I honestly thought society was becoming a better place, but stupidly ignorant remarks like that continue my lack of faith in humanity. If you don't have anything nice to say FUCK OFF WITH YOUR NEGATARD OPINION!

I fully support your statement.

Bad behavior. Deserves an apology.

• Like 6

I think the Kia Sportage/Hyundai Tucson will probably come closest in the look of the new Escape, at least the side is very similar with the same rear window uptick, and the Hyundai features that trapezoid front grill opening like Ford has been using for some time.

This is an example of my concern, how widespread is this opinion in Escape buyers, just a few or lots?

Go look around the net anywhere this is being posted and form your own opinion. People don't love everything about the current Escape, but a LOT of people love the boxier, traditional SUV styling. It makes the current Escape stand out for better or worse whereas the new one is just another happy face in a sea of look alike small CUVs.

I guess it is hard to get excited about something when products that look the same are already available at your local Toyota, Honda, Kia, etc. dealers. You could say that this will have MyFordTouch, but at this point I don't know if that is an advantage or disadvantage. EcoBoost engines could be an advantage, but if I really want performance I would buy a RAV4 with it's very strong V6. How about the possibility of the PowerShift? That doesn't excite me at all! Possibly MPG, however it remains to be seen if this vehicle is going to do a lot better on fuel then the imports. Since there is so much in common style has to be a deciding factor, however there is nothing to make this vehicle stand out from the other small CUVs.

Now whether all the fuss being spread around on the net is what happens in the real world when this is released remains to be seen.

I still think there still is a big market for a small CUV that looks like a true, honest to good SUV. I understand there are many of you around here that disagree with me, but I think it is a big market that Ford is walking away from in an attempt to jump on the curvy, look alike, little car bandwagon. The current Escape dated or not uses a basic SUV design that is timeless. Go find a mint condition 1985 Jeep Cherokee and it is still a very attractive SUV whereas all of the other fad designs (1980's Taurus Wagon) are ugly relics of a time gone bye.

Maybe this thing will sell like hot cakes and all of my concerns won't matter in the end. I don't know, but it will be interesting to see.

Edited by 2005Explorer

The rear quarter windows is done the best by Ford, and it ties in with the other Ford 3-quarter window designs (Focus, Fiesta, Mondeo/Fusion). Personally the biggest issue I have is with the low greenhouse and the sloping belt line toward the front cowl. That means the front windshield looks disproportionately huge and does the most to harm the SUV appearance.

Edited by BORG

I'm not a fan of the reverse sloped glass in the quarter windows. I don't like it. It's trite. Everybody is doing it, and some (Nissan & Toyota) have been doing it for 5 years or more (Murano, Matrix).

I mean when you're going to use the same design cue everyone else is using, it should at least be moderately current, not yesterday's leftovers.

I agree. I would have much rather seen an Explorer like back to this and have the glass of this be a Lincoln version. I think the Explorer back end is the best design element.

I think the concern over how this new version of the Escape will sell versus the current version mirrors the situation on which we speculated with the Focus.

Recall: the prior generation Focus, despite being vilified for its "dated" styling, sold in very generous numbers for Ford in the U.S. (can't address profitability, imagine it was acceptable). The new Focus represented a complete change in direction for the styling of the car, and there was certainly some sentiment expressed that it was the wrong direction for the car. I think the jury is still out on the new car, since it's hard to assess its success with the slow start up and lack of inventory to support sales.

The Escape saga reminds me of the Focus situation a great deal. IMO, this product will be successful for Ford, not because of its looks, but in spite of them. Ford has the ability, through its dealers, to push product into the marketplace (witness the previous generation Focus). I expect them to really push this product hard into the market, and support it in whatever ways necessary to see it succeed. In some ways, I expect the Escape to get the type of support we see for the F150 when the support is needed. This product will succeed for Ford.

Edited by Harley Lover

I think the concern over how this new version of the Escape will sell versus the current version mirrors the situation on which we speculated with the Focus.

Recall: the prior generation Focus, despite being vilified for its "dated" styling, sold in very generous numbers for Ford in the U.S. (can't address profitability, imagine it was acceptable). The new Focus represented a complete change in direction for the styling of the car, and there was certainly some sentiment expressed that it was the wrong direction for the car. I think the jury is still out on the new car, since it's hard to assess its success with the slow start up and lack of inventory to support sales.

The Escape saga reminds me of the Focus situation a great deal. IMO, this product will be successful for Ford, not because of its looks, but in spite of them. Ford has the ability, through its dealers, to push product into the marketplace (witness the previous generation Focus). I expect them to really push this product hard into the market, and support it in whatever ways necessary to see it succeed. In some ways, I expect the Escape to get the type of support we see for the F150 when the support is needed. This product will succeed for Ford.

For those who love the present generation Escape and Ranger for that matter, the great beauty of the used car market is that these cars and many others never die. Just hunt one down and with internet not that hard to find vehicle of your choice. I've even seen a fair number of nice used Focus station wagons lately. As many on here, I'm not a great fan of latest styling cues, and prefer older vehicles and their superior outward visibilty and interior space. As long as there is healthy used vehicle market out there, modern designs can be butchered and I will just stick with used car market. Not a fan of the super high belt line, giant, sloped A pillars, hooded rear windows, slitty side windows, and pinched interiors as form dominates function. As long as there is good choice and there is, everyone can remain happy and content.

Just my two cents: I see the Verteck styling cues and It's a fair interpretation. The 3/4 windows seem overdone and it's been done to death. I have similar in the Fiesta but it's not a deal-breaker. The 2008-12 Escape was a fine design but it's time to move on. The interior was a much better improvement then the 2001-07 but it's pretty dated as well and I personally expect more for the money asked for. I also agree a larger wheel and colour will really make this stand out. I can't wait to see this Escape. This will be my second vehicle hopefully.

When I look at the current and older Escape/Mariner, I see a small SUV. By that I mean something that looks traditional, rugged, and truck-like. When I see the new design, I see a small crossover that looks like most Asian compact crossovers, meaning it looks like a tall hatchback or wagon that is softer in all the wrong ways. I know the current models aren't heavy duty tanks but their image is a strong one and the next gen is not. I wish it kept the Ford family look, especially the new one that is on display in the new Edge and Explorer. That would make more sense to me.

Maybe this thing will sell like hot cakes and all of my concerns won't matter in the end. I don't know, but it will be interesting to see.

The new Escape may very well switch demographics, some buyers preferring a boxier design may go elsewhere but surely,

Ford is counting on the majority of existing buyers staying and numbers being increased by conquest sales from new buyers

switching from other brands. Even if sales stay roughly the same, the scales of economy from using the C1 platform

for Focus, C-Max, Kuga, Escape, and hopefully, the new Transit Connect should put Ford's profit on the cars well in the black.

People's needs change and the vehicles we though to be permanent products are suddenly gone in a flash,

usually they are replaced by vehicles better suited to follow market trends, buyers climb on board and all is well,

I guess too, the idea of maximizing sales numbers runs deep, this may or may not suit Ford's business plan,

Ford is probably seeking balance between continuing good sales and increasing average transaction prices.

Changing products is a major factor in addressing those two key issues.

Edited by jpd80

Oh Lawdeh I have seen the light! Please forgive mah sinning ways.

• Like 1

There's a similar kick up on the new Focus hatchback. IMHO it has more in common with the Focus.

post-19198-0-68083900-1319938470_thumb.jpg

Moderators, why can't you use filters for offensive language? I've been on other sites were I couldn't even say "b*tching."

The world is full of a**holes. But that doesn't make you right.

Um,would the fact that he has holes in his balls be a mitigating factor? :)

Disagree. At best it makes the Escape look anonymous. It certainly doesn't help it in the '100 yard test'.

That is my concern too, not everything FoE does transposes to the American market.

I'm concerned at the change in demographics a vehicle like this makes, sure it picks

up new buyers but I'm sure some who like the truckster look will go elsewhere.

The question is how sales figures pan out, i guess we have to wait and see

but a lot of this move is definitely Ford saving money with common designs..

IMO, they are shaving too much from regional styling column for profit's sake.

Am I wrong.....