2013 Escape Spied with minimal camo

Most of the world is also LHD. Maybe Ford should stop making RHD vehicles.

+1 l could import a Mustang & F-150 then.

LOL, l don't know anybody that drives a Ford with a autobox in the UK they are as rare as rocking horse shit here Richard.

Nearly bought a Ford once until l got told its an automatic, they drink more fuel, normally cost $1,500 as an optional extra, overcomplicated very costly to fix when they go wrong. I don't hold anything against them personally they are alright once you get used to driving one but then its normally time to come home from Florida by then.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

In most cars, that's already the case. Most of the cars that still offer manuals now, very likely will in the future as well. I don't see a day anytime soon where you can't buy a manual in something like the Mustang.

There is a raging debate going on right now in Porsche world about manual vs. PDK. It's very emotional subject with many 911 fans raging that they will never buy another Porsche again if PDK is only trans offered. And the PDK trashes the manual in every application. I personally prefer a manual, but I do understand the greatness of the PDK. On race course, you can concentrate on smoothness and line and keep both hands on steering wheel as opposed to shifting and heel and toeing.

Applying this to Ford, the powershift offers superior fuel mileage numbers, more spirited driving, and if Ford adds some sport mode features to its DCT, it can be even more fun than manual to drive. Add in launch control as in Mustang V8 power, and its like getting launched off aircraft carrier with steam catapult. Guys that have done it with their Porsche Turbo S say it compresses their diaghram so hard that they can't breath for more than a few seconds. Now that is wickedly fun stuff and without the drama of manual. If Ford drops the DCT, others offer it already in more advanced form, and more will offer it, and Ford will be left behind fuel mileage wise, in performance, and in fun. More will offer touchpad controls also and it will be standard in all cars in next decade. Ford is right in offering these new technologies, but can be faulted on how they offer it. Both however are hear to stay and will prosper whether Ford continues with them or not. I hope they do.

Most of the word outside North America drive manuals you are so insular with your automatics.

I don't know if that's true anymore with automatics and especially DCT offering much better fuel mileage. F1 drivers don't even race with manuals anymore. I guess one could argue with semantics and say a DCT is actually a manual without foot clutch. That is true, but still you are not shifting and using left foot anymore for clutch if in auto mode. Even in sport mode, you can still keep both hands on wheel and use thumbs on paddle shifters. I kind of get tired of using foot clutch at times on my sports car. Would be nice to be in sport mode, use paddle shifters, and extend the rev range as I choose instead of having auto mode do it for me and not worry about clutching. The "new" automatics are far superior to the old manuals, even with lightweight flywheels.

I don't know if that's true anymore with automatics and especially DCT offering much better fuel mileage. F1 drivers don't even race with manuals anymore. I guess one could argue with semantics and say a DCT is actually a manual without foot clutch. That is true, but still you are not shifting and using left foot anymore for clutch if in auto mode. Even in sport mode, you can still keep both hands on wheel and use thumbs on paddle shifters. I kind of get tired of using foot clutch at times on my sports car. Would be nice to be in sport mode, use paddle shifters, and extend the rev range as I choose instead of having auto mode do it for me and not worry about clutching. The "new" automatics are far superior to the old manuals, even with lightweight flywheels.

This is a good point to raise, automatics now outperforming manuals for EPA numbers. It gives Ford incentive to marginalize the manuals.

This is a good point to raise, automatics now outperforming manuals for EPA numbers. It gives Ford incentive to marginalize the manuals.

rubbish...they need to install 6 speed manuals....and the MPGs on the MSRP of stick shifts for whatever reason are lower than what are actually being expereienced....something about a Manual trans doesnt bode well for how they are tested.........

Driver error LOL

The issue is that a DSG or even an automatic (when done properly) can outshift a human consistently to get better MPGs

Ill stick with a manual, I prefer to make my own decisions when driving...AND I enjoy it...plus Ive never had ANY transmission issues...NONE, or clutch for that matter.....I will take the skill of row your own to the grave.....you guys can have your massaging seats and slush boxes and inflatable dolls, I prefer the REAL thing....lol

rubbish...they need to install 6 speed manuals....and the MPGs on the MSRP of stick shifts for whatever reason are lower than what are actually being expereienced....something about a Manual trans doesnt bode well for how they are tested.........

Hey Dean....it's hard to shift and clutch while texting, combing hair, eating your donut, putting on makeup, talking on hand held phone, checking your smart phone updates, drinking your coffee or 64 oz. Big Gulp, and all the other myriad things drivers do while motoring down road. :rolleyes: As DCT's get better and better and offer expansive sport modes, you can have your cake and eat it too. Want to shift and extend revs in each geat, a DCT will do it. Want to do the above and drive, DCT will do it. Want to track your ride, you will get superior lap times over manual. The only downside is they are more expensive to buy as option and repairs will cost more money out of warranty. If auto buyers continue to buy manuals, they will probably stick around. However, manuals are offered on fewer and fewer model lines and many who want them can't get them anyway. I can remember when even most pickups on road were manuals. And I still remember the old three speeds on column and have driven them many times in past. I see only a few sporty cars in future still having or offering manuals, but that number is declining all the time. And DCT is bringing their demise on sooner rather than later.

Hey Dean....it's hard to shift and clutch while texting, combing hair, eating your donut, putting on makeup, talking on hand held phone, checking your smart phone updates, drinking your coffee or 64 oz. Big Gulp, and all the other myriad things drivers do while motoring down road. :rolleyes: As DCT's get better and better and offer expansive sport modes, you can have your cake and eat it too. Want to shift and extend revs in each geat, a DCT will do it. Want to do the above and drive, DCT will do it. Want to track your ride, you will get superior lap times over manual. The only downside is they are more expensive to buy as option and repairs will cost more money out of warranty. If auto buyers continue to buy manuals, they will probably stick around. However, manuals are offered on fewer and fewer model lines and many who want them can't get them anyway. I can remember when even most pickups on road were manuals. And I still remember the old three speeds on column and have driven them many times in past. I see only a few sporty cars in future still having or offering manuals, but that number is declining all the time. And DCT is bringing their demise on sooner rather than later.

hell, you just made a HUGE case for manual transmissions actually being SAFER.....lol...and yes, I know in certain situations DCT and autos can be superior, but seriously, you can keep em, I like driver involvement, always have, always will....and it looks like Ford is maintaining putting them in the cars i like as well....ST models will be fantastic....

Ill stick with a manual, I prefer to make my own decisions when driving...AND I enjoy it...plus Ive never had ANY transmission issues...NONE, or clutch for that matter.....I will take the skill of row your own to the grave.....you guys can have your massaging seats and slush boxes and inflatable dolls, I prefer the REAL thing....lol

Hey man I've driven nothing but Sticks since I started driving in my primary vehicle ;)

Though I'm resigned to the fact that there is a very good possibitly that my next car will either have a powershift or an auto in it because they won't offer a Stick on the Fusion or Taurus....

hell, you just made a HUGE case for manual transmissions actually being SAFER.....lol...and yes, I know in certain situations DCT and autos can be superior, but seriously, you can keep em, I like driver involvement, always have, always will....and it looks like Ford is maintaining putting them in the cars i like as well....ST models will be fantastic....

I'm with you. My summer car is a 5 speed manual. I could have bought one with Tiptronic, but chose 5 speed for many reasons. I love the involvement and the sounds above 3,000 RPM. But at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if manual goes the way of extinction either no matter what I want. Like you, I hope the manual stays and improves more as in even shorter throws, ever more precise linkages, and even lighterweight flywheels. Adding in autoblippers would be cool also. With some race cars with sequential shifting, clutch is not needed when shifing up through gears, but needed when shifting down. Lots of variables left with manuals to make them better.

FORD UK FOCUS POWERPLANT/AUTO-MANUAL/GEARBOX COMBINATIONS/MAX MPG

1.6 Focus Duratec M5 Manual 60.1 MPG

1.6 Focus ECOBOOST gasoline (Must be dodgy aerodynamics) with M6 manual stick 56 MPG

1.6 Focus TDCi diesel M6 manual stick 76.4 MPG

1.6 Focus Econetic diesel M6 manual stick 88 MPG

2.0 Focus Duratorq diesel A6 AUTOMATIC box (Auto only fitted to this model) 64 MPG

2.0 Focus Duratorq diesel M6 Manual box 67.3 MPG

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

FJM, here's a clue:

the US only pays around 50 pence a liter for fuel, Europe's priority on ultra fuel economy is completely

driven by the prices you pay for fuel, take the taxes off and people wouldn't give a fig.....

With 50 pence a liter fuel, a 40 mpg Focus is cheaper to run than your 60 mpg Focus with 100 pence liter fuel.

You people in Europe are being robbed blind by government taxes.

Even in Australia with 1 pound per liter fuel, diesels are less than 10% of total sales,

the biggest market for diesels is in small and medium SUV and small trucks.

Edited by jpd80

Most of the word outside North America drive manuals you are so insular with your automatics.

Again, in case you're confused: Americans who have grown up in America, who live in America and currently drive in America for the most part, do not FUCKING CARE! Dammit, why is this so hard to grasp. No one gives a damn what the hell Europe does! Wow.

I think the new Escape should sell well, and if people want a 'truck', they can get a pickup. Funny how a few years ago, the whining was 'it's old looking'. Now, its "oh no, don't kill the old look!''

The new one will compete with Asia effectively, and get better MPG's. Will make the CRV and RAV4 look like Barbie ® cars.

Edited by 630land

The next gen Escape looks too much like a Hyundai Tuscon to me. It's not ugly. It's just looks too much like a CUV and the current one looks much more like an SUV, which I clearly prefer. I'm sure the new one will sell well. The Tuscon is...um...cute

Edited by T'Cal
  • Like 1

The next gen Escape looks too much like a Hyundai Tuscon to me. It's not ugly. It's just looks too much like a CUV and the current one looks much more like an SUV, which I clearly prefer. I'm sure the new one will sell well. The Tuscon is...um...cute

Agree with the Tucson statement. I saw a Tucson in the parking lot the past two days, and from basically the windshield back, it much of the same look/feel/design elements. Don't see too many Tucson's around, so can't say if they sell well or if they are reliable. Just know, it's not that appealing of a vehicle in my eyes. To each their own though.

Agree with the Tucson statement. I saw a Tucson in the parking lot the past two days, and from basically the windshield back, it much of the same look/feel/design elements. Don't see too many Tucson's around, so can't say if they sell well or if they are reliable. Just know, it's not that appealing of a vehicle in my eyes. To each their own though.

Another similarly styled vehicle that has been selling like gangbusters though is the Kia Sorento. :shrug:

FJM, here's a clue:

the US only pays around 50 pence a liter for fuel, Europe's priority on ultra fuel economy is completely

driven by the prices you pay for fuel, take the taxes off and people wouldn't give a fig.....

With 50 pence a liter fuel, a 40 mpg Focus is cheaper to run than your 60 mpg Focus with 100 pence liter fuel.

You people in Europe are being robbed blind by government taxes.

Even in Australia with 1 pound per liter fuel, diesels are less than 10% of total sales,

the biggest market for diesels is in small and medium SUV and small trucks.

and dont forget the 18% difference in a gallon, that 40 mpgs becomes 47.2.....

The Escape is a vehicle I would've liked to see with the FNA design language.

(What was the FNA design language? The Ford Edge, Flex, F150 and Mustang carried it: Chamfered 'shoulders', character lines that encircled the vehicle closing the shape in on itself, etc. The prototypes included the 427, Interceptor, Explorer America and SuperChief concept).

The weakness of the FNA design language was that it didn't translate well to compact/subcompact vehicles. The strength was an instantly identifiable overall sculpture that stood out from the competition (compare the 1st gen Edge with the Murano & Lexus RX for best example).

In discarding the FNA design language for the 2nd generation Kinetic language, Ford has, IMO, discarded a unique language for one that is considerably less identifiable.

The Evos has me optimistic, though, about the first attempt at a true global language (right now, it's just FNA getting FoE hand-me-downs).

The Evos, although an open gestalt design (like the Kinetic exercises), carries some of the implied musculature and visual weight that (IMO) were strengths of the FNA language (chamfered shoulders, fender flares), and which one does not see in, for instance, the Hyundai Sonata.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1