Purchased a '12 Focus!

Hello all, frequent lurker, infrequent poster.

Saturday I picked up the GFs first car. 2012 Focus SE hatch. It is pretty well optioned, sync, heated seats/mirrors, Sirius and the much maligned Powershift tranny. Spooky no? Being Halloween and all. I just drove it back from Toronto, and I had 0 issues with the way it drives, shifts, works, sounds, or anything. I drive an 07 Focus with a stick, and it dives quite like a manual, which is basically what it is. I drove in the city, then on the 401 to the 400 for some highway running. So don't let the recent Consumer Reports put any worry into you, since they also review toasters! On the flip side, the gf is a newish driver and isn't as smooth as I am. Twice, when she went from brake to gas, on a slight grade, the car sounded like it wanted to stall, similar a manual tranny and you don't feed enough gas in and smoothy. She asked what that was, and I told her to transition a bit quicker and smoother and it hasn't happened since. I think that is more of the tranny still learning her driving style etc.

Overall very pleased with the car. The car was delivered from factory with a large paint defect, bubbling under the paint on the door and fender in a patch the size of a baseball. It turned out to be sealer and was repaired prior to me picking it up at the dealer. Crazy no one spotted that in inspection at the factory. All in all, very satisfied, and want to trade my 07 in on one!!!

ps. sorry for lack of pics, I lack a digital camera!

Big Congrats to the GF! The behavior of the tranny is probably more noticeable over time, it still sounds a bit creepy ;)

Have you ever driven a manual trans vehicle before Borg? You do understand that at idle a manual/powershift vehicle will not have the engine connected to the drivetrain? For someone used to autos only where the engine is always connected to drivetrain save neutral, this can be very different and disconcerting. This is one of the reasons why powershift offers better fuel mileage and better performance overall since torque and hp doesn't have to be filtered by torque converter. I'm sure Ford can probably smooth out the powershift a bit more, but it's never going to act like normal auto torque converter. They are two different animals.

Have you ever driven a manual trans vehicle before Borg? You do understand that at idle a manual/powershift vehicle will not have the engine connected to the drivetrain? For someone used to autos only where the engine is always connected to drivetrain save neutral, this can be very different and disconcerting. This is one of the reasons why powershift offers better fuel mileage and better performance overall since torque and hp doesn't have to be filtered by torque converter. I'm sure Ford can probably smooth out the powershift a bit more, but it's never going to act like normal auto torque converter. They are two different animals.

Actually, with a torque converter the engine isn't connected to the drivetrain at idle either. If it was, it would stall. It's just done a different way (electronic clutch vs. fluid).

Actually, with a torque converter the engine isn't connected to the drivetrain at idle either. If it was, it would stall. It's just done a different way (electronic clutch vs. fluid).

Yes it is, unless it is in Neutral, it's just that the torque converter allows slip, so that when you are in 'D', and on the brakes, the engine idles, still dynamically connected through the fluid drive, even though the car is stationary.

With the old Hydramatic, a fluid coupling was used, with no torque multiplication, which was why the original Hydramatic was a 4-speed. If you left it engaged with the brakes on, at a long stop-light, for example, the fluid coupling would "shear" its way through the fluid, and the transmission would overheat rapidly. :)

• Like 1

Congratulations to you and your girlfriend on your new vehicle, finnegan81!

Do you know how severe that paint defect was? Did it require repainting the entire door and/or fender?

It was pretty bad. They had to respray the door and the fender. It looked just like rust bubbling up like a 10 yr old car. Though it was sealer. Not a big deal, the dealership that I deal with is great, and they even offered to find a replacement car for me, but I know to get this one for me was a pain. At first glance the defect looked like water spots, and at this time of year, where I am, it would be easily missed in a PDI. But in the factory totally unacceptable level of inspection.

Also drove it to work and back, and it must have been reflashed because the car, was silky smooth. I did a from standing still right foot hammer on, and it was quick and smooth. I love manuals, but this... is in my mind better than an old tech auto tranny which have always irked me. I almost wonder if people expect Mercedes levels of refinement in a compact car... I blame the magazines really, you go from a Lambo to a Focus, how can your views not be tainted right?

• Like 1

Yes it is, unless it is in Neutral, it's just that the torque converter allows slip, so that when you are in 'D', and on the brakes, the engine idles, still dynamically connected through the fluid drive, even though the car is stationary.

So by that theory, the U.S. is dynamically connected to Europe by the Atlantic Ocean...........

I meant there is no mechanical connection except when the torque converter locks up at speed.

It was pretty bad. They had to respray the door and the fender. It looked just like rust bubbling up like a 10 yr old car. Though it was sealer. Not a big deal, the dealership that I deal with is great, and they even offered to find a replacement car for me, but I know to get this one for me was a pain. At first glance the defect looked like water spots, and at this time of year, where I am, it would be easily missed in a PDI. But in the factory totally unacceptable level of inspection.

Also drove it to work and back, and it must have been reflashed because the car, was silky smooth. I did a from standing still right foot hammer on, and it was quick and smooth. I love manuals, but this... is in my mind better than an old tech auto tranny which have always irked me. I almost wonder if people expect Mercedes levels of refinement in a compact car... I blame the magazines really, you go from a Lambo to a Focus, how can your views not be tainted right?

I thought the workers at MAP built the Focus with PRIDE? Guess not. Dealers should not have to do this to make customer happy. The dealer should just have to do normal prep work to get new vehicle ready for delivery. Hermosillo looks bettter all the time. And production at MAP is about to get more complicated with Focus EV due out soon and Focus based S-Max soon after.

• Like 2

So by that theory, the U.S. is dynamically connected to Europe by the Atlantic Ocean...........

I meant there is no mechanical connection except when the torque converter locks up at speed.

All I know is that when I let up on brake at idle on auto, the vehicle moves forward or backward depending upon what gear I'm in meaning the engine is connected to drivetrain. With manual and clutch depressed at idle, there is no movement forward or backward on level ground because engine is disconnected to drivetrain. To get it moving, I not only have to find friction point on clutch (reconnect engine with drivetrain), but press accelerator (bring up RPM from idle) at same time to insure vehicle doesn't stall. A big fricking difference in driving and mechanics.

All I know is that when I let up on brake at idle on auto, the vehicle moves forward or backward depending upon what gear I'm in meaning the engine is connected to drivetrain. With manual and clutch depressed at idle, there is no movement forward or backward on level ground because engine is disconnected to drivetrain. To get it moving, I not only have to find friction point on clutch (reconnect engine with drivetrain), but press accelerator (bring up RPM from idle) at same time to insure vehicle doesn't stall. A big fricking difference in driving and mechanics.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/torque-converter.htm

Think of the torque converter as two fans sitting very close to each other. If the first one moves a little, the second one doesn't. If the first one starts moving faster the air will force the blades from the second one to start spinning. Replace the air with transmission fluid and you have a torque converter. At idle the engine side isn't moving fast enough to overcome the brakes.

My first car was a '89 Merkur XR4Ti 2.3 Turbo with a manual.

The only problem is you get many of the drawbacks of a manual behaving drivetrain, but no class leading power or fuel economy. So I don't buy that argument. This is a tech with too many unhappy customers.

Edited by BORG

My first car was a '89 Merkur XR4Ti 2.3 Turbo with a manual.

The only problem is you get many of the drawbacks of a manual behaving drivetrain, but no class leading power or fuel economy. So I don't buy that argument. This is a tech with too many unhappy customers.

Let's see....the past generation Focus got 24mpg city, the present, regular Cruze gets 23mpg city, and the new Focus with powershift gets 27 to 28mpg city depending upon options. And the Focus is a bigger vehicle, many more features, and more hp than previous Focus. Yes, I would argue that Ford should have used a 6 speed auto as another option,but it is what it is, and with a little smoothing out the powershift does have advantages as seen in fuel mileage bump up and with select shift option more fun to drive. Ford should also advertise the new trans also and show how it's superior which it is.

• Like 1

Hello all, frequent lurker, infrequent poster.

Saturday I picked up the GFs first car. 2012 Focus SE hatch. It is pretty well optioned, sync, heated seats/mirrors, Sirius and the much maligned Powershift tranny. Spooky no? Being Halloween and all. I just drove it back from Toronto, and I had 0 issues with the way it drives, shifts, works, sounds, or anything. I drive an 07 Focus with a stick, and it dives quite like a manual, which is basically what it is. I drove in the city, then on the 401 to the 400 for some highway running. So don't let the recent Consumer Reports put any worry into you, since they also review toasters! On the flip side, the gf is a newish driver and isn't as smooth as I am. Twice, when she went from brake to gas, on a slight grade, the car sounded like it wanted to stall, similar a manual tranny and you don't feed enough gas in and smoothy. She asked what that was, and I told her to transition a bit quicker and smoother and it hasn't happened since. I think that is more of the tranny still learning her driving style etc.

Overall very pleased with the car. The car was delivered from factory with a large paint defect, bubbling under the paint on the door and fender in a patch the size of a baseball. It turned out to be sealer and was repaired prior to me picking it up at the dealer. Crazy no one spotted that in inspection at the factory. All in all, very satisfied, and want to trade my 07 in on one!!!

ps. sorry for lack of pics, I lack a digital camera!

Mine drove great too, . . when I first bought it. Give it a couple months and see how its doing.

• Like 1

I thought the workers at MAP built the Focus with PRIDE? Guess not. Dealers should not have to do this to make customer happy. The dealer should just have to do normal prep work to get new vehicle ready for delivery. Hermosillo looks bettter all the time. And production at MAP is about to get more complicated with Focus EV due out soon and Focus based S-Max soon after.

What is going on with this factory? I mean they do have a final inspection area before they load them and ship them correct? I am glad they got it fixed and it looks nice now, but I just don't see how a serious paint defect could ever make it through a final inspection.

• Like 2

You do whatever you think you have to do Richard. I'm just relaying the experiences I'm having with my car.

Why don't you admit your dealer is incompetent and ignored a legitimate defect (based on the fact that you drove two others from the same dealer who did not exhibit your symptoms) and that you refuse to take it to another dealer to attempt to get it repaired under warranty?

• Like 2

Why don't you admit your dealer is incompetent and ignored a legitimate defect (based on the fact that you drove two others from the same dealer who did not exhibit your symptoms) and that you refuse to take it to another dealer to attempt to get it repaired under warranty?

Blackhorse needs to spend more time dealing with Ford dealer and Ford in general than dealing with it on here. If his Focus is truly getting worse over time rather than better, then something is wrong. Maybe premature clutch wear or something else internal. The trans should be getting better, not worse. If all else fails, make then give you new trans under warranty. Get a customer's rep. from Ford out to dealership and show them the problem and compare it to how it's supposed to act. I would think persistency and doing your homework on problem would pay off over time.

• Like 1