2012 Escape teaser ad

It is funny to think that a few years ago Ford built a reputation around being tough and outdoorsy and today they are moving their focus to mostly an urban and metrosexual image. I guess that is what today's customer wants and although I don't see an issue with it when it comes to cars like the Fiesta and Focus I think moving the entire line in that direction will be a mistake. There are a few of us who still like a vehicle that has an outdoorsy and tough image and we can't really afford to be cruising an F-150 around. I assume that is their thought... if the F-150 can be a replacement for the Ranger it can also be a replacement for any customer who still wants a vehicle with an outdoors sense of adventure. That is until they decide to also make the F-150 into an urban lifestyle vehicle.

Maybe it is just the camouflage, but this thing is minivan nasty from this angle... and I don't mean nasty in a good way.

FordEscape_d09_KGP_ed.jpg

Although many around here are cheering the end of the boxy Escape, I still think the look is handsome and timeless. That is just my opinion... that's all. I will never debate the fact that it was time for an update, but only debate the design direction they have taken with it.

2010-ford-escape-concept-rear-angle-view.jpg

Could not agree with you more, Ford could have brought the Kuga over as a Lincoln and kept the Escape the same to give everybody the best of both worlds. Gotta say l am dreading the day when Fords F-150 ends up looking like a boring dull Mitsubishi Pick-up and Ford sales charts head south have to rely on 4000 Fiesta & 10,000 Focus cars sales like you had in the USA last month you will become more like loss making Ford of Europe with out 55,000 F-150 or 20,000 Escape sales to prop Ford up every month.

Please please Ford don't do the same to the F150, making it a very boring shaped 4,500 Kuga sales a month type Mitsubishi aerodynamic abortion of a pick-up that takes all the rear headroom out of the rear, and save you a thimble full of gasoline a month but lose all your sales in the process.

I am all for cutting out weight with by using plastic recycled bottles everywhere, Econectic engine technology is massive MPG improver, cutting the weight out of Escape seats, low resistance tyres etc etc, yes you will make massive fuel savings. But please cut out the boring bland dull aerodynamic bullshit unless you are gonna bring bullshitting fins back as well. The Escape is not one of big Al's 500 MPH 757/767's, Escape is not even going to do 150 MPH everywhere, then it would matter it total bullshit on a Escape l would prefer more headroom in the rear..

Total aerodynamic bullshit, totally boring zero sales numbers, the way to go. Boxy Ford Ranger gets 3 MPG more in Europe without the aerodynamic sales killing bullshit both have 2.5L power plant.

MitsubishiL200WalkinshawPerformancePickUp.jpg

Mitsubishi Pick-Up the way to go "NO SALES", if everybody put there head in a gas oven Ford would follow these days. Everybody would then buy dull boring Camry and Accord pick-ups instead as Nick would tell you as everything is total boring.

• Like 2

The comments posted under those pictures aren't very kind

LOL Those comments are priceless. We'll be seeing that a lot once it's unveiled, it seems pretty common.

But they're not right! Think of the tens of people who are going to love the new styling! It's AWESOME!!!

Yuck.

• Like 1

And it will sell close to the same number if not more at half the cost and three times the profit.

We will see about that...

Three times the profit? They are going to need to do some serious price hiking to get three times the profit. You do realize all the investment in the current Escape is long paid for and even when it wasn't it was a shared project with Mazda. By the way how far up in the company are you that you get to look at the books?

I know your confident that this is just what people have been longing for in the compact SUV category and it's going to sell like hot cakes. I personally feel it is just going to be lost in the crowd of look-alike metrosexual wagons. I don't doubt it is going to sell, however I see little in the styling that makes it look unique.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Three times the profit? They are going to need to do some serious price hiking to get three times the profit. You do realize all the investment in the current Escape is long paid for and even when it wasn't it was a shared project with Mazda. By the way how far up in the company are you that you get to look at the books?

So what is Ford supposed to do? Keep the current outdated Escape around for another 10-15 years? Your forgetting that the new Escape is going to be sharing platform and not to mention a whole lotta other parts with the Focus and C-Max....do you save more money getting 750K+ parts for the those products vs only building 200K parts for an orphan platform?

I know your confident that this is just what people have been longing for in the compact SUV category and it's going to sell like hot cakes. I personally feel it is just going to be lost in the crowd of look-alike metrosexual wagons. I don't doubt it is going to sell, however I see little in the styling that makes it look unique.

You just have to get over the fact that you have a "dinosaur" and it seems to be burning your ass that Ford isn't keeping the Escape the WAY you want it...your not the automotive all knowing small SUV guru that you portray yourself to be...

Embrace change....its the only constant in your life...

I didn't say anything about the vids. Take a look at the title of this thread. Thus, my question to verify.

Exactly. the title is WRONG. Spring of 2012 does not mean it's a 2012 model.

How many threads on this board have it correctly listed as a 2013?

Don't have a cow Brewfan, I was just pointing out how the mistake could be made.

With what then?

Like anyone else makes an upright, boxy, small SUV like vehicle anymore? I don't see it as a problem. Tons of used Escapes on used car lots and that will be the case for at least another 10 years. There will be no shortage of boxy, dated Escapes for years to come if you don't like a tall Focus commonly called the 2013 Escape. That is the beauty of the used vehicle market. If you don't like the prices/styling of new vehicles, there is always a great used vehicle out there looking for a good home with lots of miles and years left in it with extended bumper to bumper warranties offered.

Three times the profit? They are going to need to do some serious price hiking to get three times the profit. You do realize all the investment in the current Escape is long paid for and even when it wasn't it was a shared project with Mazda.

I was exaggerating but only a little.

They're replacing 2 unique platforms with one platform that shares a lot of stuff with Focus and C-Max. That alone will save Billions.

The new one will have higher trim levels with higher ATPs and will sell with lower incentives. Just like the Focus and the Explorer.

You just can't understand how something YOU don't like can be a good business decision. Get over it.

I'm embracing change. When I replace my Escape, it will not be with a Ford.

And for every one of you, there could be 2 or 3 who say "I would have never bought the old Escape but I really like the new one."

There are plenty of vehicles that I don't like personally but sell well and make money. I don't begrudge them.

And for every one of you, there could be 2 or 3 who say "I would have never bought the old Escape but I really like the new one."

There are plenty of vehicles that I don't like personally but sell well and make money. I don't begrudge them.

Sure, or it could be 2 or 3 current Escape owners who look elsewhere for every one who buys the new one. The Escape is Ford's #2 seller most months. This isn't the Explorer which was on life support. We won't know for a while yet which way it goes. I don't begrudge Ford deciding to go metro. Heck, people buy the Edge. I'm just disappointed that, as a Ford fan, there are fewer and fewer Ford's I'd consider buying.

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 1

You just have to get over the fact that you have a "dinosaur" and it seems to be burning your ass that Ford isn't keeping the Escape the WAY you want it...your not the automotive all knowing small SUV guru that you portray yourself to be...

Embrace change....its the only constant in your life...

Yes it's a total piece of junk. Only a complete idiot would ever buy one... right? How in the world does Ford even sell them anymore? I'm glad that you feel the new Escape is one of the best styled and most unique CUVs ever to hit the ground. I feel it is a copy-cat of everything else that is available. I don't need to be an all knowing small SUV guru to know this is a Xeroxed copy of every other small Asian CUV on the market.

I have never once said that the current Escape doesn't need to be replaced. NEVER. Even though you and others keep saying that is my position. It is just a debate in styling and although you might be a huge fan of the new urban, metrosexual grocery getter styling... I'm not.

So what does it matter to you if I drive a POS dinosaur? I'm very happy with it. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I like the style. I'm not a prissy little metrosexual urban boy that wears Birkenstocks while I sip on my latte carrying my man purse over my shoulder. Sorry. That's not me.

• Like 1

I was exaggerating but only a little.

They're replacing 2 unique platforms with one platform that shares a lot of stuff with Focus and C-Max. That alone will save Billions.

The new one will have higher trim levels with higher ATPs and will sell with lower incentives. Just like the Focus and the Explorer.

You just can't understand how something YOU don't like can be a good business decision. Get over it.

Well the economy is just roaring along right now so I'm sure they won't have to use any incentives and 75-80% of them will be sold fully loaded. We should thank Obama for how well things are going so Ford can get a lot more money out of these economical vehicles while selling thousands more.

Yes it's a total piece of junk. Only a complete idiot would ever buy one... right? How in the world does Ford even sell them anymore? I'm glad that you feel the new Escape is one of the best styled and most unique CUVs ever to hit the ground. I feel it is a copy-cat of everything else that is available. I don't need to be an all knowing small SUV guru to know this is a Xeroxed copy of every other small Asian CUV on the market.

I have never once said that the current Escape doesn't need to be replaced. NEVER. Even though you and others keep saying that is my position. It is just a debate in styling and although you might be a huge fan of the new urban, metrosexual grocery getter styling... I'm not.

So what does it matter to you if I drive a POS dinosaur? I'm very happy with it. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I like the style. I'm not a prissy little metrosexual urban boy that wears Birkenstocks while I sip on my latte carrying my man purse over my shoulder. Sorry. That's not me.

Nobody would care if you didn't constantly imply that Ford was making a mistake by changing the styling. Just say "I don't like it' and let it be. Ford knows a hell of a lot more about costs and projected profits than any of us.

Edit: and BTW - that's exactly what Explorer owners said about the old Explorer when it was selling at 400K/yr. Why would they ever change it? It's selling great. Until it wasn't.

Edited by akirby

Wow, lots of women buy the Escape and especially the Mariner when it was offered. And the 2013 Focus is not Asian designed, but pretty much a tall Focus wagon that is European designed. I don't consider the new Focus Asian, and the new Escape looks a lot like it. I'm not a fan of the pinched visibility look either with giant A pillars and hooded rear window, but what are you going to do? That is life.....constant change, and not always for the better. However, the ever increasing fuel mileage is certainly for the better along with the more hp. I give Ford props for always having a distinct look that copies no one. The new Escape is no different other than having Focus design cues, not Asian.

Nobody would care if you didn't constantly imply that Ford was making a mistake by changing the styling. Just say "I don't like it' and let it be. Ford knows a hell of a lot more about costs and projected profits than any of us.

Edit: and BTW - that's exactly what Explorer owners said about the old Explorer when it was selling at 400K/yr. Why would they ever change it? It's selling great. Until it wasn't.

Well the new Explorer is selling well, but I don't see 400k again anytime soon. Do you? Economics and a middle class that is squeezed more and more every year probably has more to do with it then anything else, but still those numbers will never be reached again. So although the new one (which I like) is doing well in the current market it is not the cash cow the old Ranger based models were.

A lot of the volume the old Explorer had moved down market. It will be interesting to see where customers go once the Escape moves up-market. Will they shell out the cash or move to the Korean brands? They sure look a lot alike so I would think if someone liked a new Escape they would also be pretty satisfied with the small Korean CUVs. What's the difference? EcoBoost? That's the only advantage I can see.

Yes for the record I don't like the new "Focus Wagon" Maybe when I see it in the flesh it will blow me away, but from what I see right now I'm not a fan. The funny thing is people like you who love the new one would never be caught dead in a compact SUV anyhow so I don't see how those opinions count.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

Dude get over yourself....its pretty oblivious that you feel like your sexuality is threatened because of the way your car looks you have some serious issues. Do keep in mind that nearly 66% of Escape sales are to women!

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=435226

Anyways, I was never a fan of the Escape till my GF got one...I was downright surprised at how quick it was with the V6 and how good it was in the snow (been in a couple 2 foot snowfalls with it the past couple winters...but at the same time it needs to be replaced....

All the Escape is doing is moving to Ford's Kinetic look...which I have no idea if you like on other products. I don't see any seriously wrong with the upcoming Escape with its styling changing....

• Like 1

Dude get over yourself....its pretty oblivious that you feel like your sexuality is threatened because of the way your car looks you have some serious issues. Do keep in mind that nearly 66% of Escape sales are to women!

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=435226

Anyways, I was never a fan of the Escape till my GF got one...I was downright surprised at how quick it was with the V6 and how good it was in the snow (been in a couple 2 foot snowfalls with it the past couple winters...but at the same time it needs to be replaced....

All the Escape is doing is moving to Ford's Kinetic look...which I have no idea if you like on other products. I don't see any seriously wrong with the upcoming Escape with its styling changing....

Since women are the majority it college, outnumber men in the workforce, work longer into their lifespan than men, and have not been as affected by unemployment as much as men, Ford would be foolish not to appeal to women with its new Escape, especially since the present one is so appealing to women. Making the new Escape into a Boy Toy would have been a huge mistake. Like it or not, major manufacturers are going after the women's market and what they like. Not that many pure testosterone vehicles left, and the Escape was never one of them anyway. Maybe if someone at Ford can really push and get a new F-100 greenlighted and a shared platform Bronco to go along with it, then maybe the macho off road set can get the smaller sport ute they desire. The present macho off roader (Raptor) doesn't fit in that well with new CAFE rules coming. Furthermore, I'm shocked that someone with an Escape right now would be considering replacing it with a Jeep. Why didn't they buy a Jeep in the first place? The present Escape is basically a CUV that rides on road like a car and has never been considered an off roader.

Ford's new Escape Kuga shaped design has averaged 5,047 sales a month in Europe for the first 10 month of 2011.

Fords old boxy Escape design averaged 20,689 sales a month in the USA for the first 10 months of 2011.

Kuga proven track record in sales is the way to go, boring design will rule worldwide. Lets hope the buyers warm to it whether they or men our women buyers for Fords sake.

• Like 1

I just can't get over how much you really hate the styling of the new Escape. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but you're making it sound like any guy driving (or even considering) the new Escape/Kuga (or any swoopy CUV) isn't a "real man"? slvrsvt put it dead on:

Dude get over yourself....its pretty oblivious that you feel like your sexuality is threatened because of the way your car looks you have some serious issues.

Hopefully, the tides don't turn and we see these "little metrosexual urban boys" suddenly buy the current 2011 (or past) Ford Escapes. If that happened, wouldn't the shoe be on the other foot? :stirpot:

Now where's my murse and latte? 'Cuz I would definitely consider this new Escape as a second vehicle.