More 2013 Fusion/MKZ Spy Shots

Either the camo is damn good at giving a very deceptive shape/form, it sure looks like the twins are still twins.

Outside of them sharing glass and roof line...you can't tell much. The one thing that I found pretty interesting is that it looks like they are mixing up the wheels trying to making IDing the prototypes harder...the Fusion looks like it has Fancy wheels and the MKZ looks like it has sporty mag wheels that you'd expect on the Fusion.

I'm also expecting to see the MKZ and Fusion differ in the C-pillar area also..but the roof arch will be the same but the glass will be different shapes in it.

Either the camo is damn good at giving a very deceptive shape/form, it sure looks like the twins are still twins.

The critics are going to go to unload on Ford big time again.

Or it's the same car with 2 different noses. All the insiders are insisting that the Fusion and MKZ will share NO sheetmetal at all so I'm not buying it until they're both unveiled.

• Like 1

The critics are going to go to unload on Ford big time again.

I suspect that all of the body panels are unique on the MKZ vs. the Fusion; the A-pillar and roof look to be common; probably changes in the rear of the roof. Will the overall shape be different enough so they aren't cast as "sisters?" Other manufacturers have gotten away with derivative models (particularly Audi and Lexus) and nobody seems to complain -- you don't hear the press harping on the ES350 as a Camry sister even though it shares the platform and wheelbase. But somehow, probably due to an inconsistent past differentiation policy, Ford is branded. And it doesn't matter how much content is differentiated.

We'll see, but I expect the press will consistently call them sisters, based on past experience.

The only bit of shared sheetmetal will be the roof and A/B pillar, along with the glass in the windshield and doors (as well as the door frames). The C-Pillar and the glass there will be unique between the cars, as is the rear window and all the other sheetmetal. They have stepped up the level of differentiation from the previous models, but they are still visually identifiable as corporate cousins. The MKS and MKT still are the only fully differentiated designs at Lincoln. I think part of the problem with the development of the MKZ is that it had to happen alongside the Ford; unlike the MKS, MKT, and now MKG. It would have been expensive for Lincoln to fund a totally new tophat alongside the undeveloped Fusion and deliver the cars at the same time, so Lincoln only had the luxury to develop it's own interior and non-critical cosmetics.

Another detailed revealed in the above photo is that the MKZ has a full-width tail-lamp. YESS! There is hope the MKX will regain that distinguishing Lincoln hallmark, and I admit it's of trivial importance but it means something to me :). ALL IS FORGIVEN!

Edited by BORG

Or it's the same car with 2 different noses. All the insiders are insisting that the Fusion and MKZ will share NO sheetmetal at all so I'm not buying it until they're both unveiled.

So are you saying the noses are then interchangeable, which would actually affirm the shared design idea?

These are the final prototypes and the insiders are right...technically. The greenhouse (glass and door frames) design is largely shared but the sheet metal is entirely differentiated since they are still part of elements (like the C-pillar) that are different.

Edited by BORG

So are you saying the noses are then interchangeable, which would actually affirm the shared design idea?

Think about it...the doors are the same, but the door skins are different..they would still fit...sorta like the Monto Carlo and Buick T-type back in the 1980s...except more different LOL

Think about it...the doors are the same, but the door skins are different..they would still fit...sorta like the Monto Carlo and Buick T-type back in the 1980s...except more different LOL

The doors are not the same, they use different sheetmetal below the beltline.

What's with all the horizontal bars in the Fusion's grille? I don't remember seeing those in previous spy shots. Don't like from what I see of it.

Actually this was there in the other prototypes, not sure what is going on with the grille insert.

The only bit of shared sheetmetal will be the roof and A/B pillar, along with the glass in the windshield and doors (as well as the door frames). The C-Pillar and the glass there will be unique between the cars, as is the rear window and all the other sheetmetal. They have stepped up the level of differentiation from the previous models, but they are still visually identifiable as corporate cousins. The MKS and MKT still are the only fully differentiated designs at Lincoln. I think part of the problem with the development of the MKZ is that it had to happen alongside the Ford; unlike the MKS, MKT, and now MKG. It would have been expensive for Lincoln to fund a totally new tophat alongside the undeveloped Fusion and deliver the cars at the same time, so Lincoln only had the luxury to develop it's own interior and non-critical cosmetics.

Another detailed revealed in the above photo is that the MKZ has a full-width tail-lamp. YESS! There is hope the MKX will regain that distinguishing Lincoln hallmark, and I admit it's of trivial importance but it means something to me :). ALL IS FORGIVEN!

good shots Borg, thankyou. Full width tailight?....good, I just hope they dont do like they have done before...SUPURSIZED it.....elegance gos hand in hand with subtlety ford......

What's with all the horizontal bars in the Fusion's grille? I don't remember seeing those in previous spy shots. Don't like from what I see of it.

I just think thats excellence in being sneaky and a total curve ball....why make em stand out with IN YOUR FACE Camo....man, if it was me I could have a field day sending opeople on tangents....lol

guess you never figured that it could be a cooling mule with a MKZ vise versa Fusion nose on the oppsites body or even a mondeo?

No, you can see the MKZ and Fusion specific sheetmetal, glass, side-mirrors, lamps, etc.. These are completed protoypes.

No, you can see the MKZ and Fusion specific sheetmetal, glass, side-mirrors, lamps, etc.. These are completed protoypes.

The point I was trying to make before we got side tracked is that the doors (outside of the skin on them) are identical...There is no reason why a MKZ door won't fit on a Fusion and vise versa...even if they have different door skins on them

The point I was trying to make before we got side tracked is that the doors (outside of the skin on them) are identical...There is no reason why a MKZ door won't fit on a Fusion and vise versa...even if they have different door skins on them

Why would they need to do that with completed prototypes?

Why would they need to do that with completed prototypes?

See above....its still pretty hard to tell what exactly is under the camo...and who is getting what.