2013 Ford Escape World Debut

Under camo I was not a big fan but this actually looks better tha i thought it would, best in the higher trims. The big thing for me is that it kept the the 3500 lb towing rating while improving on fuel economy. Depending on what they do with the Edge (Fuel economy and looks) my replacement for our 2007 Edge could be one of these.

Chris

A car isn't an iPod, I can't buy one of each just to have them for my Ford collection! Would I buy one? Absolutely! Will I buy one...probably not because I have the means to buy the Edge and/or MKX (and I want adaptive cruise control). The more important question to ask is, would I have bought the old Escape? And the answer is "Not a snowball's chance in hell!". My sister will be buying the new Escape, and so will my Mother. There are two customers for ya!

As a Ford fan it saddens me that I'm running out of Ford vehicles I would buy. Lot's of negative comments on blogs about the new styling btw.

The issue is that its a radical change from the current model...I'm sure the styling issues will be a non-issue once people see it more often and get used to it.

To each their own I suppose.

Exactly!

Couple points...I hate the baby shit brown/gold/bronze color they are showcasing the Escape with.

I showed my GF (she has the 2010 Escape) and she likes it, but is also slightly disappointed it doesn't look like a SUV or Truck. We are looking at an Explorer to replace her Escape in a couple years since we'll be starting a family etc, but she said she'd have no problems with a new Escape if that was what we could afford/better fit etc...

I'm sure its going to look even better in person, because who the hell sees an Escape everyday from 10-20ft high or from 6 inches off the ground?

I'm also very impressed by the numbers the 1.6L EB is putting out 173HP and 177 Ftlb Torque is awesome!

Edited by silvrsvt

My only real gripe (which existed when the prototype was running around) is the fender vent and the accompanying sheet-metal work...although I bet customers will think that to be a thoughtful detail. I absolutely love the fascia, absolutely my favorite part of the design and I think it's the most successful in its class. But otherwise, all I really need to do now is drive it to get a feel for the NVH characteristics. I bet it handles like a go-cart compared to the mushy/wobbly old Escape.

Edited by BORG

The issue is that its a radical change from the current model...I'm sure the styling issues will be a non-issue once people see it more often and get used to it.

Exactly!

Couple points...I hate the baby shit brown/gold/bronze color they are showcasing the Escape with.

I showed my GF (she has the 2010 Escape) and she likes it, but is also slightly disappointed it doesn't look like a SUV or Truck. We are looking at an Explorer to replace her Escape in a couple years since we'll be starting a family etc, but she said she'd have no problems with a new Escape if that was what we could afford/better fit etc...

I'm sure its going to look even better in person, because who the hell sees an Escape everyday from 10-20ft high or from 6 inches off the ground?

I'm also very impressed by the numbers the 1.6L EB is putting out 173HP and 177 Ftlb Torque is awesome!

Yeah, not fond of Ford's trend colors, not sure what's wrong with the color designers at Ford but they are terrible at it.

Why not consider the Ford Edge as the go-between?

I had taken a wait and see attitude with this redesign. As others have said, I like it much better than I thought I would. There is great detailing, that is very much missing in this class. While it does have a Focus vibe, Ford really pulled off giving it a much brawnier look.

Paint me impressed.

BTW, where are all the "it won't have any tow capacity," crowd now??

Love the interior.

This, or a Lincoln Escape, could make a very good daily driver, for after the Boss is paid off. Who knows. Damn it, too many compelling choices.

• Like 1

The Current Escape handles pretty good for a truck IMO...

It does, I had a 2009 Mariner Voga and it was a sharp handling car thanks mostly to the short-wheelbase and light-weight. But over uneven pavement it really looses its confidence pretty quickly.

And it's not really a truck, although everybody seems to qualify it as such. It's just an old car platform ;)

Edited by BORG

I had taken a wait and see attitude with this redesign. As others have said, I like it much better than I thought I would. There is great detailing, that is very much missing in this class. While it does have a Focus vibe, Ford really pulled off giving it a much brawnier look.

Paint me impressed.

BTW, where are all the "it won't have any tow capacity," crowd now??

Love the interior.

This, or a Lincoln Escape, could make a very good daily driver, for after the Boss is paid off. Who knows. Damn it, too many compelling choices.

The Lincoln Gets all New Sheetmetal :shift:

A car isn't an iPod, I can't buy one of each just to have them for my Ford collection! Would I buy one? Absolutely! Will I buy one...probably not because I have the means to buy the Edge and/or MKX (and I want adaptive cruise control). The more important question to ask is, would I have bought the old Escape? And the answer is "Not a snowball's chance in hell!". My sister will be buying the new Escape, and so will my Mother. There are two customers for ya!

Well said. I certainly find it to be much more appealing than the outgoing model. Out with the old, in with the new.

• Like 1

Would I buy one? Absolutely! Will I buy one...probably not because I have the means to buy the Edge and/or MKX

I can buy any car that I want (within reason, I won't be buying a Bentley any time soon), and I would no sooner drive an Edge or an MkX than I would buy a Lexus RX. Too each there own. Changing a vehicle to appeal to people who would not buy one does not seem like a sound strategy. For instance, I would never suggest that Ford should change the MkX so that I would consider buying one.

The more important question to ask is, would I have bought the old Escape? And the answer is "Not a snowball's chance in hell!".

I was prepared to replace my Escape with another within the next two years. It has performed MUCH better than our Flex which is a rattle trap. Unlike you, I was prepared to buy an Escape.

My sister will be buying the new Escape, and so will my Mother. There are two customers for ya!

And I know at least a half dozen who will now be shopping elsewhere. Let us know when they follow through, I'm sure we'll all be interested in the review. The platform, interior, etc, all seem promising, too bad it fails so completely in the looks department.

• Like 2

Well said. I certainly find it to be much more appealing than the outgoing model. Out with the old, in with the new.

Agreed. For the record, I had an 02 Escape (wife's car). My son still drives it and loves it. Will we buy one? No, our Edge is only a year old.

Edited by CurtisH

It's better than I thought it would be and I'm really please that it matches the old Escape's towing capacity. Can't wait to see it in person.

Motor Trend has a photo of the interior that shows what appears to be a manual transmission...

2013-ford-escape-front-seating.jpg

I wish but I don't think there is an Manual tranny but I could be wrong

Looks great. Can't wait to see one in person.

The front end in this picture almost has a Cayenne look to it with the large lower intakes. Sexy.

I thought the same thing!

Does anyone know if the rear hatch can be opened by the remote fob? I am not sure that I want to be kicking around under the vehicle with my arms full and ice on the ground.

Yes. At least, the video I saw on the rear hatche mentioned it could be opened with the fob too.

Edited by fordmantpw